• Winter in Oceanside...

Question for Chicagoites (Chicagoans?)

Give me some good reasons to leave sunny Southern California and move to Chicago.

We may have an opportunity to move to Chicago, but other than visiting relatives in the suburbs maybe 4-5 times, I don't know too much about the area. We do have family in Chicago (and none in SoCal), but I have been a California girl all my life. We're thinking maybe living actually in the city - high rise luxury condo style.

TIA for your opinions and help!

• Gloomy Day, probably rain

Re: Question for Chicagoites (Chicagoans?)

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessY View Post
    Give me some good reasons to leave sunny Southern California and move to Chicago.

We may have an opportunity to move to Chicago, but other than visiting relatives in the suburbs maybe 4-5 times, I don't know too much about the area. We do have family in Chicago (and none in SoCal), but I have been a California girl all my life. We're thinking maybe living actually in the city - high rise luxury condo style.

TIA for your opinions and help!
    PM me! My girlfriend just moved back from there just this last week and she'd have a TON of info for you.

PS - Use craigslist to meet people there too. It truly works.

• Winter in Oceanside...

Quote Originally Posted by mistyisjafo View Post
    PM me! My girlfriend just moved back from there just this last week and she'd have a TON of info for you.
    Thanks, misty. If we ever get to the point where we are seriously thinking about it, I will definitely get in touch. Right now, I'm just looking for basic info.

• Banned User

My cousin goes to school at DePaul and says the pizza in Chicago is great and the subway system isn't bad. That's all I know. Oh and there's a 3-story H&M!!

• Shablagoo!

I wonder what the proper term for a native to Chicago is? Until I am corrected I am going to call them Chicagoteers.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • MC Director of Sales and Marketing

Blog Entries

I have never lived in Chicago, but I have been there several times on business. Chicago is my favorite large city in the US. Friendly people, great restaurants, and lots to do.

Keep us posted!
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse princess View Post
    Of course I am worried about your mental health. I want happiness for all. Like we can all be like the Smurfs. But without Gargomel. He was mean.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

It's Chicagoans

I don't know much about it - I just go from the airport(s) to the 'burbs now... But I was back there 2 summers ago for a few days, And I fell for it... There is so much great artsy stuff - museums and the theater, concerts - and the EL to get around is fantastic. Like EW said - pizza is wonderful!! The people were friendly for the most part - a nice midwest trait. Great great culture, and I felt safe at night in the area where I was (your area might vary!) And I was out at midnight, drunk, walking to get to a bookstore to buy Harry Potter. So, you know.

The biggest issue, from a new CA girl who grew up in the wilds of NY, would be the snow - because it can snow a lot and deep (though of course over Christmas did it snow? NOOOO of course not!) . It can also be bitter, BITTER cold. That would take adjustment, but you will adjust. Of course, the plus of the high rise is no driveway to shovel! But I dunno about traffic etc in the snows. Though I'd think by now they'd have it fugured out

oh and they have got us matched for rush hour traffic, lordy - going to/from the All State arena back into downtown was a NIGHTMARE. I dunno if it was just then or what. It was too TOO bad when we were there at Xmas though it was holiday time.

Good luck with your decision!!
    I am personally in the camp that you should move a few times in your life, just to see what the whole country's like.
    Oh and having relatives there is a huge plus, at least it would be for me!!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I was born and raised in Chicago. I love it here. I live in a north side neighborhood in a 2 flat. Houses are built very close together in Chicago. Besides houses, there are large apartment buildings, and condominiums. Real Estate is pretty expensive. My house at the moment is worth in the 3 digits, thousand wise. You don't get very much land in that equation.

I grew up in a apartment. The school was down the block. The church was next store. We took CTA buses and trains everywhere. There are many parks here. Some close, and some not so close. Each neighborhood usually has a school, church, bank, grocery store, and park close by. Schools from neighborhood to neighborhood can be very different. Neighborhoods can be very different. There are a lot of different ethnic neighborhoods spread throughout the city.

When I was a kid, all of the suburbs that are now part of the city, did not exist. When people think of Chicago, they think of Chicagoland and all of its many suburbs. The suburbs are very different. Things are spread out more in the suburbs. You really must have a car in the suburbs. In the city, you can survive without one. We have a huge expressway system that makes it easy to get around. Keep it in mind that there are millions of people here, and traffic can be bad during rush hour, and at other times not too bad.

Our Downtown area is near the lakefront. Downtown Chicago has many different stores, restaurants, museums, office buildings, and even high rise apartment buildings. We have beaches along the lakefront running from the far north all the way to the far south. Lake Shore Drive, is a very scenic route along our lakefront. In my opinion the parks along the lakefront are nice, but they could use more facilities (if you know I mean). They just haven't kept up with the population. You can bike along the lakefront. You can jog. There are harbors for boats. There's even golf courses, and tennis courts. Pretty much anything that you might want to do.

if you drive, you won't have to much trouble getting around. Keep in mind, that parking is limited in our city. There just arent't enough parking spots for all the people. Some of these new buildings going up, are smartly building their own underground parking.

We have a Democratic Mayor, who likes things his way. He does pretty well, and promotes the neighborhoods. He does realize people's love for the differences in their individual neighborhoods.

We have our fair share of crime, since we are a big city. You do see homeless people roaming our streets. The inner city can be scary at night. I don't go out alone after dark. We left at 4:30 in the morning, for our last trip to Disneyland and my grandson thought he saw a rat running across the big street near our house.

So we have it all. The city has such varied neighborhoods. Many people have beautifully landscaped yards. Flowers are plentiful in the Spring. Summer is full of children playing baseball in the parks. Playgrounds have little kids on swings, and moms with babies in the strollers.

There are bowling alleys, shopping malls, healthclubs, movie theatres, and park district fieldhouses probably close enough for anyone to get to.

Prices here high in my opinion. A gallon of gas and a gallon of milk cost about the same. At the moment that $2.50. Bus fare is $2. a ride. A loaf of bread is about a dollar for the store brand white bread and can be as much as $3 for a good loaf of wheat or rye.

There are outlet stores, Targets, a Walgreens on most busy corners. and our share of stores like Costco, and Sam's Club.

I have just been rambling. My house has a front porch. I can sit out on it during the warm summere evenings pretty safely. I have a backyard garden and a yard that needs mowing. Keep in mind that my neighbor is right over the fence.

We are a lot different than California. Summer temperatures can scorch you in the 90's. It can rain for days at a time. Winters can be as low as zero degrees. We have had record snowfalls of a couple feet of snow all falling within about 36 hours time.

Just a Chicago gal thinking some thoughts about my city. My kids grew up here. My one son chooses to live in the suburbs. he works in the city. My other son lives farther north than I, in an apartment. My grandson will be going to high school soon. Most city kids need to take public transportation to get to high school, where perhaps they were able to walk to their grammar school.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Gotta run.

• Winter in Oceanside...

Great posts, Barbaraann and NeverNeverland! Thank you so much!

Weather: Yes, that concerns me. Not the heat (I live inland so our summers can be well over 100 degrees, with some humidity. Tho' not as bad as the midwest!). It never rains in the summer here, so that would be very weird to me. Now winter makes me a little worried. I suppose I would get used to it, but I am not a big fan of the cold. Guess that would just give me an excuse to actually buy a winter coat (or two)!

Traffic: Bah - I'm from SoCal, remember. We invented gridlock. Now, gridlock in a snowstorm is a different story.

Another question: I know whenever we go to visit the relatives, I notice that they are not big of fresh fruits and veggies. Is this because they are hard to get (winter time), or because my relatives are just meat and potato (and cheese!) folk? Then again, I remember a restaurant with a salad bar, and all they really had was iceburg lettuce and the rest of the stuff was from a can (garbanzo beans, corn, etc.). There may have been fresh carrots.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Chicago has many different fruit markets where you can purchase good fruits and vegetables. There is usually one in each neighborhood. Fruits and vegetables can also be purchased in stores like Jewel, Dominicks, etc: of course there they are a little pricier.

My grandson loves salad. For a 13 year old, he eats a lot of salad. You won't have any trouble.

There are also stores like Whole Foods, where you can get more natural foods with fewer preservatives.

Like I said before, if you drive, you will find many stores with just about everything you want. There's plenty of places to shop for fresh produce.