Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

USC kicker Mario Danelo dies

I have just heard word on the radio tonight that USC football kicker Mario Danelo has died following a fall in the Los Angeles area. He was 19 - and kicked two field goals just last Monday in the Rose Bowl win. I am searching for more details.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

Re: USC kicker Mario Danelo dies

!!! that's horrible!
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• Banned User

Is this the one that fell off of the cliff or got murdered?

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Here is the story from latimes.com:

By Gary Klein
    Times Staff Writer

8:20 PM PST, January 6, 2007

The body of USC kicker Mario Danelo was found today at the bottom of a cliff in San Pedro, a Los Angeles Police Dept. officer said.

"We don't have much information at this time," said Sgt. Emada Castillo of the LAPD's Harbor Division. "He was found at the bottom of a cliff. Investigators are there now."

Danelo, 21, is the son of former NFL kicker Joe Danelo. He was the Trojans starting kicker the last two seasons after making the team as a walk-on in 2003.

Danelo made 15 of 16 field-goal attempts this season and 44 of 48 extra-point attempts. He kicked two 26-yard field goals in the Trojans' 32-18 Rose Bowl victory over Michigan and made two of four extra-point attempts.

Danelo was an All-City Section player at San Pedro High. He redshirted at USC in 2003 and did not have any attempts in 2004.

Danelo, however, earned a scholarship in the fall of 2005 and had a record-setting season for the Trojans, who reached the Bowl Championship Series title game for the second consecutive year. Danelo made 11 of 12 field-goal attempts. He also converted 83 of 86 extra-point attempts, setting NCAA records for both attempts and tries.

Danelo is the second USC athlete to die in the last eight months. Ryan Francis, a point guard for the basketball team, was shot to death last May in Baton Rouge, La.
    Another very sad story indeed. My condolences to his family, the USC family, and certainly to all my Trojan fan friends here on MiceChat.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

From espn.com...and the Associated Press...

LOS ANGELES -- Southern California kicker Mario Danelo was found dead Saturday about 120 feet down a rocky cliff near Point Fermin lighthouse in the city's San Pedro section.

The body was reported by a passer-by at about 4:30 p.m., said Martha Garcia of the Los Angeles Police Department. Danelo appeared to have suffered traumatic injuries, Garcia said.

Danelo, the 21-year-old son of former NFL kicker Joe Danelo, made 15 of 16 field goals this season and led the Trojans in scoring with 89 points. The junior made two field goals in the Rose Bowl on Monday to help USC beat Michigan 32-18.

Speaking on behalf of Trojans coach Pete Carroll, USC spokesman Tim Tessalone said: "We were stunned to hear about this tragedy. This is a great loss. Mario was a wonderful young man of high character.

"He was one heck of a kicker. He was a key ingredient in our success the past two years. The thoughts and prayers of the entire Trojan family go out to the Danelo family on this sad, sad day."

The family declined to comment.
    --Barry

• e komo mai

Very sad.

• Banned User

This is sad. They are still trying to figure out if somebody pushed him off, or if he slipped by accident.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by barfownz View Post
    This is sad. They are still trying to figure out if somebody pushed him off, or if he slipped by accident.
    I would certainly hope it to be accidental. Still, a tragedy just the same.

And here's what you'll find on the LA Daily News website...dailynews.com...

BY SCOTT WOLF, Staff Writer
    Inside SOCAL
    "The body of USC kicker Mario Danelo was found Saturday at the bottom of Point Fermin Park cliffs in San Pedro.
    Danelo, 21, was missing for at least a day, according to USC officials, before his body was found. Rigor mortis had set in by the time authorities reached the scene Saturday night.
    "It's extremely sad," USC special teams coach Sam Anno said. "No.1, because of the person that Mario was and the kind of guy he was. And also because of the kind of player he was; he worked hard at his craft and succeeded.
    "I'll never forget the first game this season when Arkansas tried to burn him with three timeouts and he still nailed a 44-yarder. That was Mario in a nutshell."
    Park visitors spotted Danelo's body at 4:37 p.m. and about 40firefighters responded to the scene, about 200 yards west of the Point Fermin Lighthouse.
    Firefighters led police down a 120-foot cliff to the body.
    Danelo's roommate, USC wide receiver Chris McFoy, was shocked by the news Saturday night.
    "It was unexpected," McFoy said. "He's a funny guy. A warm, loving guy. It 's a shock something like this would happen."
    McFoy said he last spoke to Danelo after the Rose Bowl and the kicker seemed fine. Other witnesses said Danelo attended a postgame party and, while a little down about missing two extra points against Michigan, was otherwise fine.
    "He was OK. He was smiling, had a drink in his hand and he stopped and chatted with people," said a student who did not wish to be identified.
    Danelo called USC kicker Troy Van Blarcom on Saturday but did not leave a message, sources said.
    --Barry
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 01-07-2007 at 01:37 AM.

• Hooterville, USA

I heard this on TV and thought how crazy is that?
    I hope it's nothing more than a very bad accident, but I'm a little skeptical.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Lucky, Rather Than Good

Thats very sad. I couldn't believe it when I heard the news.
    " Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world. " Oh no we might be in trouble

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Anytime they find a body on the bottom of a cliff during the night, I think it's highly suspicious. It's possible he was just goofing around, but it will be interesting to see how this case unfolds. How very sad for his family and for USC.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

So very sad.

• GO DBACKS!!

My prayers are with the family. Very sad.

It wasn't me, it was Lisa!

• For old time sake

My heart goes out to his family. This is very sad news.
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• Mexihick, y'all

Any photos of this young man?

Very sad, I read it in the paper yesterday morning. I feel very badly for his family and his team mates.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast