Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 99 Ranch Market

• insufferable know-it-all

99 Ranch Market

Gotta sing some praises here.

Went in there the other day for some Red Bean Paste (long story, but this is about the only place I know to get it, it's very sweet and good in desserts). It's not the kind of place I'd have thought to go into without a purpose, but I was very impressed.

Anyway, I'm not the type to cook seafood at home, but if I was, I would DEFINITELY be going there to shop for it, holy cow their selection was good! Not to mention the amazing array of frozen dim sum stuff (vs Vons, whose dim sum selection totals 2 items)

But now getting to the good stuff... they had red bean popsicles! Don't know how to describe the flavor, but I think of it as being like a less-sweet brown sugar type flavor. YUMMY!

Okay, I know this was totally random, but I just thought it was a really nice market with a good selection of veggies and fish, etc. and wanted to share because I know most folks don't know anything about it, and, like me, probably wouldn't think to go there without reason.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

•   
    • Senior Minion

Re: 99 Ranch Market

Glad to see you found a market that sells it. I live close to Little Tokyo so I can get it pretty easily, although red bean isn't my favorite. I tried these little red bean pancake type things that they make there fresh ... saw a HUGE LINE of people buying them ... figured they were good ... but, it wasn't something I'd buy again.

Although, I am interested in knowing how you used the red bean paste. Maybe I might need to try it another way ... I know they also sell red bean ice cream and drinks there.

• insufferable know-it-all

I haven't used it yet, I wanna experiment with it in pastries though.

When I was a kid we used to go to Fung Lum in Universal City, and we always loved their specialty: Fung Lum Pudding. It was a baked tapioca pudding, with the Azuki bean paste in the middle. Of course, when I was a kid, I thought it was brown sugar, LOL.

My brother recently found a recipe that's really similar to the Fung Lum recipe, and it sort of brought the whole red bean thing to my attention again, so I decided I'd like to experiment with using it with things like puff pastry, etc. So I went into 99 Ranch to get the canned paste, and thought while I was there I'd grab some Cha Siu Bao (I like those for a grab-and-go breakfast), and discovered a vast array of stuff with the red beans already in them, including the bao (which I got... not as sweet as I hoped, more like the chinese equivalent of a bean burrito), and the popsicles, which are awesome (just ate one tonight while I was writing the op, LOL)

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

•   
    • Senior Minion

Well let me know how your experimenting goes. I wouldn't mind giving red bean paste another chance. Or maybe I should experiment as well ... hmmm.

• A Pirate's life for me!

Well, the 99 Ranch near us has been closed a few times due to another kind of live animal on the shelves...Rodents. Or should I just say RATS.

I know...They (rats) are everywhere, but the severity of them caused the store to be shut down (twice that I know of). That is a serious rat problem.

Though it doesn't seem to deter the shoppers from going there...

Not us though. No thanks!

Enjoy the popsicles. At least they are sealed.

99 ranch is amazing.

sadly, that's all I have to say.

• Mexihick, y'all

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon View Post
    Gotta sing some praises here.

Are you actually singing or just teasing us?

• The Unknown Princess

I love 99 Ranch Market. The prices are reasonable and you can find a lot of things Asian that is harder to find at a 'regular' store even considering I live in a state with a high Asian count.

Unfortunately, we just found out ours is closing in the next two months!

• I'm your huckleberry.

I wish we had a 99 Ranch Market near us! I love cooking Thai and Japanese dishes, and improvising my own fusion creations. Having a Ranch Market nearby would help a lot. I had the worst time finding "Nam Pla" a few weeks ago when I made my own Tom Ka Gai.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesnít make anything anymore, but thatís not exactly true. Weíre the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

My family has been shopping there for as long as I can remember! Some other stores you may want to try are Mitsuwa in Costa Mesa, CA (it's near south Coast PLaza) or Marukai which is a Japanese wholesale store. I love going into these stores and stocking up on Asian junk food.....shrimp chips....hi-chew...pocky! YUM!

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by duckiedianne View Post
    My family has been shopping there for as long as I can remember! Some other stores you may want to try are Mitsuwa in Costa Mesa, CA (it's near south Coast PLaza) or Marukai which is a Japanese wholesale store. I love going into these stores and stocking up on Asian junk food.....shrimp chips....hi-chew...pocky! YUM!
    Pocky!!! One of my daughter's favorite snacks! Luckily regular super markes have started carrying it now. That and Botan Rice Candy. Strange, yet delicious.

Everyone says that the U.S. doesnít make anything anymore, but thatís not exactly true. Weíre the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• For old time sake

Ahhh, Goonie I'm jealous. To have a 99 ranch market near us would be great. As it is we have to travel 30+ mins to get to an asian market out here. Mmmmm, dim sum
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• Clearing my Calendar

We were first introduced to 99 Ranch in Vegas. Imagine our surprise when we moved back to Atlanta and found we have one here as well!

We went and stocked up on all sorts of goodies. And when we saw a travel show feature the fruit of death (durian?), we knew none other than 99 ranch would have it!

The verdict on the fruit?

I'd rather die than eat it again. Just sayin'. But 99 Ranch I'll visit again!
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

• I'm your huckleberry.

They sell durian at the 99 Ranch Market? That fruit is outlawed in some areas or Asia because it's so vile, I'm shocked that it's sold at a supermarket!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TraceCub View Post
    We went and stocked up on all sorts of goodies. And when we saw a travel show feature the fruit of death (durian?), we knew none other than 99 ranch would have it!

The verdict on the fruit?

I'd rather die than eat it again. Just sayin'. But 99 Ranch I'll visit again!
    Durian :shudder: I can't imagine getting it that close to my face, based on the smell alone!

I was fascinated by the package of duck tongues that I saw there last time. They were wrapped on a styrofoam meat tray, just like you'd get ground beef. Only, they were little tiny tounges. Stir fry?
    A signature should go here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast