Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

FIV, Feline Aids

Does anyone have any experience with this? My kitty Cosmo got diagnosed with it today

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Still wants to be a cat!

Re: FIV, Feline Aids

Yep....Lost my little Wolfy to FIV years ago. He had a lump in his abdomen and after surgery we had the diagnosis. What did the Doctor say for you to do? I had a couple of choices, one was to isolate him from all my other kittiies (4 others at the time) with a good chance he would be OK, for a few more years (he was only 1.5 years old at the time) or put him down. Since I didn't want to risk the others from infection I made the difficult choice of putting him down. You can tell to this day, he lives on in my heart. Screen name explains it all! Keep me updated Tina. Hugs to you and yours!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Winter in Oceanside...

Goodness - I'm so sorry to hear this!

I had a kitty go through this a LONG time ago (over 20 years), before they even knew what this disease was. It wasn't good, but I am sure that medical science has come a long way since then. Prayers to kitty....

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

Awww Tina, I'm so sorry. I've got no experience myself. Do you have treatment options?

• All you need is LOVE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feline_...ficiency_virus

This can help answer ?'s I hope.

hugs

• Gay Man

My Charles has it - or at least has tested positive for it. Since he was adopted from the street, there is no way to know if he actually has it or happened to be vaccinated for it, therefore testing positive.

I did TONS of research on Feline AIDS after my vet told me that the best option was to put him down. What I found out is that FIV is most easily passed on through blood contact, so if Charles was going to be outside and fighting with other cats, he would be a risk to others. The virus itself is very fragile and will be killed instantly by exposure to air so it unlikely that it will be passed on via saliva. Charles is a very gentle and loving cat and does not fight with the other boys at all.

The other piece of information that sealed the deal for me was from another vet who had adopted an FIV positive cat who lived with 11 othr cats and did not pass it on to any of them. They shared food, cat boxes, everything. This cat also lived to be a hearty 12 years old - which is pretty darned good. He eventually died due to complications of his disease but he lived a long and healthy life with FIV.

So, that cinched our decision and Charles has been livng inside with the other 5 for over 2 years now. None of the other cats have contracted FIV so far and Charles is pretty healthy. I do give him immune booster vitamins when there is a sickness going around, but, other than that, he's just a normal, happy cat. And terribly cute and loving to boot.

• Senior Minion

Prayers for the kitty, hugs for you. Keep us updated, please.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• Senior Minion

Sorry to hear this.
    My wifes childhood cat "Honey" developed this when A.I.D.S was discovered.
    They did different tests but nothing that would help.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Banned User

I'm sorry to hear this too. I lost my first pet to Cancer a few years back. I had a lot of good times with my dog too.

Pets can get HIV/AIDS?!

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Tina Im so sorry about Cosmo. Give dkid1 and 2 hugs for me.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• Gay Man

FIV is not transmittable to humans. But, there is not cure for cats. But, just linke with people, they can live long and healthy lives with good care.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Wow that's horrible. Never heard of that. Good thoughts for you, your family and your cat.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• For old time sake

Tina for you and the kids. If you have any questions your vet seems stupid in answering let me know. I think Not Afraid can answer way more questions than I can, but my vets really great at giving me info without all the $$$$$ in the conversation (which some vets do and it pisses me off).
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

Awww, I am so sorry that the appointment turned out this way. That's terrible. Tell the dkids that we are all thinking about them and sending positive thoughts to Cosmo.

It sounds like there is hope though!
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Thanks guys I really appreciate it I'm not telling the kids right now, my oldest is stressed enough right now and everyone's upset over missing my grandpa's service tomorrow so I'm going to wait a bit. But *I* appreciate all the good thoughts and hugs and will pass them on

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast