• Curiouser and Curiouser

Cruise Veterans...

We are looking at cruising..what is the best sight to look for deals, what is the cruiseline of choice, and what destinations are to die for?

Blog Entries

Re: Cruise Veterans...

I think a good site to use is www.cruisecritic.com. Lots of good reviews, advice and boards such as this one dedicated to cruising. I have only been on cruises out of LA and have used either expedia or the cruise lines website.

I've only been on one cruise and it was wonderful. We went on Celebrity to Alaska for a week. We got a really good deal on it since not many people wanted to travel right after 9/11. We went in and out of Vancouver. Alaska is a beautiful place.
    Visit the Hamand Family Blog to see what we've been up to. http://matthamand.blogspot.com

• Beep Beep!

Check out www.vacationstogo.com for their last minute cruise deals.
    HDAlien

-----------------------------------------------------
    "I dream of the day when you can go to a drive through, purchase alcohol, tobacco, and bullets, and use them all before you get home" -- Dogbert

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

I would recommend cruisecritic, you will get info from a variety of people with different experiences on cruises.

There are so many types of cruises, it all depends on what you're looking for. If you want to stick with the major cruise lines and locations that you're familiar with, Royal Caribbean is a great experience. If you're looking for more upscale, Celebrity or Crystal Cruises are good. If you're traveling with little ones, the Disney Cruise Line.

I personally prefer at least a 7 night cruise, since you get to relax and enjoy things more.

I've been on seven cruises, with an eighth planned this summer. I've been all over the Caribbean, Western twice and soon a third time, Eastern and Southern, twice to Alaska and once to Bermuda. Been on Carnival, Norwegian, Princess and Royal Caribbean. I also actually have a degree in tourism, so if anyone wants more information and ideas, feel free to send me a PM, also MiceChat member Wolfy999 and her husband own a travel agency, I'm sure they would be happy to help you as well.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Quote Originally Posted by nursemelis374 View Post
    I think a good site to use is www.cruisecritic.com. Lots of good reviews, advice and boards such as this one dedicated to cruising. I have only been on cruises out of LA and have used either expedia or the cruise lines website.
    cruisecritic is a great site. It's like the www.tripadvisor.com of the sea. Want to know about the excursions available from off-ship vendors? They'll have the info. Need ideas on how to sneak forbidden booze on your next cruise? cruisecritic fans will tell you. I also like to check www.vacationstogo.com, which has a pretty good "search for a cruise" tool that let's you compare cruises quickly. I booked through them once, too, and it was a decent experience.

They don't score discounts on Disney cruises, though they do have them listed.

What destinations are to die for? The Mexican riviera cruises out of LA are low on my list. Ensenada is even worse. I love the Bahamas and the Western Caribbean, and the stingray city (it's actually a submerged sandbar in the middle of a large bay) experience on Grand Cayman Island remains my single favorite thing I ever did on any vacation ever. Those Mediterranean cruises have plenty of awesome destinations, and DCL goes there this summer. In Jamaica, do the Dunns River Falls deal, and if you go to Cozumel, take the all-day excursion to Tulum. It's the place with all the beachside Mayan ruins that you may have seen during the running around in Mexico scenes from Against All Odds.
    Last edited by steamboatpete; 01-16-2007 at 01:29 AM.
    Fight On! Beat the Red Wolves!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
    The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

• World Traveler

If you've never been on a cruise, I suggest going on a short cruise first, preferably close to home. My favorite cruise lines are (in no particular order) ... Disney, Royal Caribbean and Holland America Line.

• For You!

I love Holland America - really classy and nice.

I also enjoy the Western Caribbean - lots of water sports, snorkeling and active things going on - If you like shopping go Eastern.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!