Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Any gymnastics fans?

Any gymnastics fans on here?

Me, i'm a big fan, love to watch the sport, but don't follow too much. I know about most US gymnasts and read up on their standings, but that's all I know.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• GO DBACKS!!

Re: Any gymnastics fans?

I love watching gymnastics but I wish it was televised more often then just the Olympics every 4 years.

Do you have certain websites that you enjoy that keep you updated?

It wasn't me, it was Lisa!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Sparkle Plenty

I love to watch gymnastics! I took tumbling growing up, along with ballet, tap and jazz -- but I never did gymnastics. For that reason floor exercise is always my favorite, I guess because I can remember doing some of that stuff. When they get on the equipment, I just stand in awe -- never dreamed of doing that. I think EagleWing was a really good gymnast, probably still is!

• Banned User

I grew up in gymnastics, I was at state level when I had to quit. I still go to the gym once or twice a week to work on tumbling though.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Earkid View Post
    I love watching gymnastics but I wish it was televised more often then just the Olympics every 4 years.

Do you have certain websites that you enjoy that keep you updated?
    It's televised a few times every year on NBC. The major meets like Visa Championships (usually in August), the American Cup (March, I think) and the World Championships (usually november). I miss the fun competitions that they used to have like the Reese's Cup or the Rock and Roll challenge.

Websites are mostly gymnastics magazine websites, but they keep you updated:
    http://www.intlgymnast.com/
    http://www.insidegymnastics.com/
    http://www.usa-gymnastics.org/

I was a gymnast (not as good as EagleWings was) for close to 10 years, but still love to watch it. I swear, watch it on tv and they make it look so easy and effortless, doing handsprings on something 4 inches wide.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• MiceChat News Team
    • Sparkle Plenty

Quote Originally Posted by EagleWings View Post
    I grew up in gymnastics, I was at state level when I had to quit. I still go to the gym once or twice a week to work on tumbling though.
    Sorry I left the s off your screen name when I mentioned you!

I loved tumbling, so much fun. Do you miss gymnastics? If I didn't still dance I am sure I would miss tumbling a lot more.

Audrey, you dance, right? What kind? And did you ever take tumbling or gymnastics?

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by disneyballerina View Post
    Audrey, you dance, right? What kind? And did you ever take tumbling or gymnastics?
    I did recreational gymnastics for close to 10 years and competed for 2 years, but after not liking competition, I quit, plus I had graduated high school, so it was time to move on.

I Irish Dance and this is my 3rd year, but not sure how much longer I will be doing it. I am thinking about quitting, but not sure.

• GO DBACKS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Joshrzmeup View Post
    I did recreational gymnastics for close to 10 years and competed for 2 years, but after not liking competition, I quit, plus I had graduated high school, so it was time to move on.

I Irish Dance and this is my 3rd year, but not sure how much longer I will be doing it. I am thinking about quitting, but not sure.
    Why are you thinking of quitting Irish Audrey?

It wasn't me, it was Lisa!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by disneyballerina View Post
    Sorry I left the s off your screen name when I mentioned you!

I loved tumbling, so much fun. Do you miss gymnastics? If I didn't still dance I am sure I would miss tumbling a lot more.
    Oh yeah I miss gymnastics so much! It's why I continue to go to the gym and work on tumbling!

• Banned User

I want to do Irish dance really badly. Do you go to any academies for it? I've been considering the Larson academy in Fullerton.

• Bring Me Two Piña Coladas

What ever happened to Dominique Moceanu?

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by goofygoof View Post
    What ever happened to Dominique Moceanu?
    She attempted a comeback in 2000 and did pretty well and then earlier last year after many injuries kept her from tyring before, but when she didn't make the team for the Visa Championships, I think she just gave up. But, she got married in november, and I know she still coaches and goes to school in Cleveland, OH.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by EagleWings View Post
    I want to do Irish dance really badly. Do you go to any academies for it? I've been considering the Larson academy in Fullerton.
    An academy is just a fancy name for a place of Irish Dance. I just go the the local fine arts center, but that group is taught by instructors from a very well-know school of Irish Dance located about 30 minutes from here.

As far as me quitting, it's for alot of reasons. I'm having a much harder time learning all the steps, there are 2 new steps we've been working on for 15 weeks and I still can't get them and there is no time with 8 girls for the instructor to help me out. I was semi able to do those steps before the 3 week Christmas break, but now I can't do anything. That and I haven't been getting along with the others in the class as well as I used to. It's almost like certain people only talk to me because they feel they have to (and believe me, you can tell), and i'd rather them not talk to me then feel obligated. I'm perfectly fine with that. I'm a quiet person anyways.
    I've been in a weird burned-out feeling kinda funk lately, I don't want to do anything, I have to drag myself to go to school and pay attention in classes and I just don't look forward to dance like I used to.

• Bring Me Two Piña Coladas

She attempted a comeback in 2000 and did pretty well and then earlier last year after many injuries kept her from tyring before, but when she didn't make the team for the Visa Championships, I think she just gave up. But, she got married in november, and I know she still coaches and goes to school in Cleveland, OH.

I remember her 'Devil Went Down To Georgia' routine at the '96 oly's and how much energy she gave. The beam and her hitting her head, the cault troubles. Then I read about trouble with her parents managment of her career and finances, switching coaches, her mom and sis moving in with her, then her dads cancer? I think he had.

It's weird not hearing about the "Mag 7" and what they've been up to. I liked Moceanu the best though, lucky guy whoever married her! I haven't been able to watch gymnastics since

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by goofygoof View Post
    I remember her 'Devil Went Down To Georgia' routine at the '96 oly's and how much energy she gave. The beam and her hitting her head, the cault troubles. Then I read about trouble with her parents managment of her career and finances, switching coaches, her mom and sis moving in with her, then her dads cancer? I think he had.

It's weird not hearing about the "Mag 7" and what they've been up to. I liked Moceanu the best though, lucky guy whoever married her! I haven't been able to watch gymnastics since
    The Mag 7 had a reunion back in August since it had been 10 years since they had won the gold. I think there are pics on Dominique's website. (or were before they re-designed it and are in the process or putting everything back on)

I know a little of what they are up to these days, from what i've read. Amanda Borden and Jaycie Phelps are both married and own a gym in Arizona, Shannon Miller is in Law School and I think is getting divorced, she recently retired from gymanstics for good, she was doing some performances here and there. Kerri Strug works in Washington DC, Dominique Dawes, i'm not sure, and Amy Chow I think is a doctor is California.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast