Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dog help-

• Original Mice-Chatter

Dog help-

We are considering a dog- we visited with an Australian Shepherd and Australian Kelpie mix at the shelter today. He is 5 months old and about as big as he is gonna get (medium size)- sweet dog, likes cats and kids. Only drawback- a nervous pee-er but he is just a baby and with age and time with us I am sure that would stop.

Anyway- we have two cats- well established male cats. Any suggestions on introducing?

Is a smaller dog a better idea?

How do you keep a dog from eating from the cat box? Right now there are 3 cat boxes in the house- one in the bathroom downstairs, the bathroom upstairs, and one in the basement. Do I whittle that down to one and keep it gated off? My older cat will not like hurdling the gate-but I could try.

I think I need a cat tree- I dread teaching my cats to jump on the counters to eat.

I was all excited earlier- now I feel nervous, especially about a bigger dog.

I'm torn- Rose and the cats would likely prefer a smaller breed. But I like the idea of having a medium to large dog in the house for protection (woof woof rather than yap yap)

If I am not sure- I won't do it- there are so many questions.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Re: Dog help-

Nervous Australian Shepherds tend to stay nervous. They need to be trained early and taught who is boss. They grow into very loving and loyal dogs.

Dogs love cat poop. Sickening but true. The best bet is to raise the litter box above the dog's reach but not outside of the cat's reach.

If there are plenty of hiding spaces for your cats, they will be able to adjust slowly. Don't force the dog and cats together. They will do it on their own over time.

My dog and cat are best friends. But it takes time.

The thing that worries me most is the nervous pee situation. That is not necessarily an easy fix. Many dogs that have this problem keep it for their entire lives. You can teach them to go outside and put them on a potty schedule, but chances are that every time someone new comes into the house or they get excited to see you or the kids, they are still going to dribble.

If you love the dog and don't mind a little pee in the house, go for it. Otherwise, you might want to keep looking.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Original Mice-Chatter

Thanks-

My mom's dog was a nervous pee dog(American Eskimo breed)- but she does not do that anymore. I'll discuss it with the counselors at the shelter tonight.

• Banned User

my baby was a nervous peer, only when people talked to him, he got excited and peed, ( a little) he stoped when he got out of the baby stage and only out side did this happen ( strangers talking to him) good luck with the dog, and the littler boxes. dogs love the cat crap, I do not have cats, we are alergic, but i have friends weho can not keep there dog out of it. also mom has cats and 2 dogs, she got those kind with the hood over the boxes and put them up close to the wall so the dogs could not get in. it works for her. cats can get in, dogs can not.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Adopted this Australian Shepherd from a shelter last year. She's a wonderful pet, loves kids, not fond of strolling cats in the area and as far as I'm aware has never nervously peed. Or is just unwilling to admit to it.
    Her dalmation plush can be glimpsed at bottom of the photo, she's the taller dog pictured.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Senior Minion

Not all little dogs have a whimpy bark.

A few months ago, a cop came by our house to ask if we had seen anything suspicious goingon in the house in teh back of it, cause it had been broken into, and our little dog goes nuts when she hears the doorbell. The cop told my mom that he was afraid to come in because he thought we had a vicious, huge dog, when it reality, we have a girl miniture schnauzer, who is 4 years old.

Whatever dog you decide on getting (they are both cute dogs) be sure and post some pics for us!!!!
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• no flash photography...

my parents have a nervous peeing sheep dog and she never got over it. She's about 11 now.

My dog is on the small side. he will chase the cats if the run, but if they stop so does he. He will eat the cat poop from outside, but he never gets in their boxes in the house. I would say consistant discipline would stop most bad behaviors. (My cats will stop and attack the dog...he has learned to stay clear of them.)

• Hooterville, USA

My mom's dog was a nervous pee-er and she never grew out of it.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshrzmeup View Post
    Not all little dogs have a whimpy bark.
    that si true. My dog is on the small side and he has a very deep fierce bark. It's amazing such a bark can come out of him.

• Mexihick, y'all

You're screwed, girl. If your cats are already friendly, I would suggest closing the door between them when you get him home. That way they can sniff/hiss/bark at each other through the door, but they are getting the smells. Rub his stuff in them, theirs in the dogs. That way they smell each other.

DO NOT FORCE THEM TOGETHER.

A nervous pee-er will remain that way, you aren't going to change it.

Honestly, get the dog, cut with the questions, bring the questions out once you have the dog and see what goes on. From experience.

• Original Mice-Chatter

No dog tonight.

We all went to see him- and he was sweet but he did not seem to be as comfortable with Rose as I would like. In fact he seemed to want to ignore her and only pay attention to the males in the family.

He is also listed as "will not go bathroom outside"

Ummm....no. Too many reservations- so we are going to do some research and go out to some shelters tomorrow- maybe.

Thanks for all the help-

• Mexihick, y'all

I would suggest petfinder.com. There are a lot of good rescues out there, waiting to be picked up.

Good call on the dog vs. Rose. A lot of dogs have dog aggression. You need to ask all the facilities the right questions. Food/toy/dog aggression? Resource guarding?

You need help, you have questions, PM me.

• Original Mice-Chatter

Zeus is still there- but I am not sure I can get past the reservations I have.
    He thinks he is a lap dog- it's hilarious. That little nub tail going a mile a minute-
    I want it to be just right-is that a bad way to approach it?

• Mexihick, y'all

If you're not "feeling" it, then it's not right.

I currently have a 120 lb. lap dog. Don't discount size.

well, no dog will be just right or perfect. I love my dog more than words can say, but he has his moments. He is a very good dog and smart. he has learned so much and I really love training him, but he has a stubborn streak and seperation anxiety. We got him when he was 6 weeks old, so IMO our influence has made him into the dog he is...excpet he came with seperation anxiety. I don't know what that's about...oh, and his mother is stubborn...nevermind...we just trained him, btut hey come with their own traits..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast