Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Food product prizes and other gimmicks

Remember when loafs of bread came with things? Like Wonder and Webers used to pack things for kids in them. Webers of course had Peanuts things, like trading cards and stickers. One of those brands came with these stickers that were like Garbage Pail Kids but way before the GPK, I'm talking the mid 70's.

Anyway I was always excited for Thursdays because that was the day mom went shopping and as soon as I got home from school, I was digging into the bottom of the loaf for my prize. Usually it was already in the freezer by the time I got to it so I'd have to sneakily pull it out and dig in for the prize.

Then for the Bicentennial, Hughes Markets were giving away little miniature flags from United States history. Like the Dont Tread On Me flag, and the Betsy Ross flag. I was always excited to get a flag whenever we'd go to the store. My dad actually ended up making this 5' tall "flag pole" painted red, white and blue with holes drilled into the sides for me to put my little flags in.

And how about fast food gimmicks. Not toy giveaways per se, but other things. What stands out in my mind was from around 1975, when Taco Bell was giving out glasswear with Looney Toons characters on them with the purchase of a soda. I had Sylvester and I swear that was my favoritest drinking glass ever!

• Hooterville, USA

Re: Food product prizes and other gimmicks

Gas stations used to give things away too. We got most of our glasses at the local Shell station.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Man O Lantern

My mom used to get these elves at her grocery store.

She stuck them in our Christmas tree when I was growing up. I never saw them anywhere else, until my first Christmas with my husband's family....and his mom had the exact same elves stuck in their tree!

Our mom's grew up just 200 miles from one another and they got them from the same store chain.

I remember the trading cards and stickers, Matt. Loved those!

I got Star Wars trading cards (Return of the Jedi) with some brand of bread. I remember thinking they smelled like bread, though I'm sure they didn't.

My grandma used to get pieces of china dishes at the gas station with each fill-up in the 40's. (?) She has everything, right down to tureens and gravy boats. They're beautiful, too.

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    Gas stations used to give things away too. We got most of our glasses at the local Shell station.
    I grew up on gas station glasses. I think way in the back of my cabinet, I still have one from when I was a kid.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Not exactly the same but, do you remember when McD's had that Disney scratch off trivia game? It was like 10 years ago or so. I am not a McD's fan but I swear I gained 20 lbs during that game

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

I used to have the moon guy (forgot his name) from Carl's Jr. driving a jeep. I wish i still had that.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Quote Originally Posted by dsnylndmom View Post
    Not exactly the same but, do you remember when McD's had that Disney scratch off trivia game? It was like 10 years ago or so. I am not a McD's fan but I swear I gained 20 lbs during that game
    Or when the Dick Tracy movie came out and it was movie trivia?
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell View Post
    I got Star Wars trading cards (Return of the Jedi) with some brand of bread. I remember thinking they smelled like bread, though I'm sure they didn't.
    No they SO DID smell like bread, forever and ever!!

Quote Originally Posted by dsnylndmom View Post
    Sweetie pie. Honey love. You didn't need to buy anything, just walk up and ask for a free game card (no purchase necessary) That's what my friends and I did when "Splash for Cash" came out. We piled into my car and went from McD's to McD's one night for 3 hours getting game cards back in 1989.

• no flash photography...

I got two sets of disney glasses from mcdonalds. I don't thik they were free, but they were cheap.

My mother has a really old box of Duz dish soap and on the box it advertises how there is a glass inside. A full size glass.

all I remember are the cereal toys. I don't remember what they were, but I used to like digging for them..

I also vaugly remember blue chip stamps. i was very young, but my grandmother would collect them and then bring me to a store where they could be redeemed. I got to pick stuff out.
    Last edited by SCUBAbe; 01-16-2007 at 07:27 PM.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut View Post
    Sweetie pie. Honey love. You didn't need to buy anything, just walk up and ask for a free game card (no purchase necessary) That's what my friends and I did when "Splash for Cash" came out. We piled into my car and went from McD's to McD's one night for 3 hours getting game cards back in 1989.
    I know but its more fun to buy something During that time I was working on my degree so we would go between classes and get sausage mcmuffins. Don't soil my memories Onut!!!

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• is on the rocks

There were two giveaways from McDonalds I remember. The first was a set of McDonald's character drinking glasses. There was also a set of five classic books that were abridged and made more children-friendly - if I remember correctly, it was The Wizard of Oz, Tom Sawyer, Black Beauty, The Three Musketeers and A Christmas Carol. They were small, and had lots of illustrations. I LOVED reading those.

*sigh*

Good memories. You'd never see a giveaway like that anymore.
    She did it!

• Banned User

I just want to confirm. Is a Food Product gimmick a Free Toy in a Cerial Box?

• insufferable know-it-all

I loved the glasses McD's had when they did the WDW promo. And growing up one of my friends had some from an older set of McD glasses that had Hamburglar on them and stuff. Very cool glasses.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• no flash photography...

when I worked at mc donlads (it was my first job. I stayed 5 months)...they had garfield glass coffee mugs. I had the whole set, but I have no idea what happened to them.

the disney glasses i ahve are round ones for WDW 25th aniversary and square glasses. I'm not sure what they were for. i don't use those.

• For You!

I just remember when cracker jacks actually had little prizes and not just temporary tattoos.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast