Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Debt Collectors - How do I get them to stop calling??

Ugh.
    So, apparently the person who had my phone number before me is deep into debt and the collectors are calling. (probably why she changed her number, eh!)
    Usually they call when my phone is off so I only hear messages.
    Or they say "Please hold while we connect you to a representative..." so I hang up.
    I did actually speak to someone once and they did stop calling, I do believe.

But I have been getting an automated one that says "If you are not Sandra blah blah hang up. If you are, press 1. By pressing 1 you confirm that you are Sandra blah blah..."
    I pressed 1 then got scared and hung up.

I know there are laws about who and when debt collectors can call... but what about when you're not the person in debt and you don't even know her???

UGH!!!
    I hate phones!!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• no flash photography...

Re: Debt Collectors - How do I get them to stop calling??

ummm,.....I think you either have to get a live person or better yet send it in writing to cease and desist..(sp?).

• Queen of Sarcasm

If you pick it up when they call explain the situation to them. If worst comes to worst ask the cell phone provider about call blocking or getting a new number

• Mexihick, y'all

You don't. You basically ignore them. If there is someone live to talk to, you tell them you are not them, stop calling. Then continue to let them call and waste their own time.

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

My guess is to do it in writing. When you can get a live person, ask them for the mailing address. Then tell them in a letter that the person they are attempting to contact no longer has the number that they are calling. I am trying to get a more concrete answer for you.
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

• no flash photography...

Inwold get a new number. i use to have a pervert calling my old cell number. He would leave these vile messages or if I answered would just say the grossest oddest things. When he left a message about buying a house and bringing me to it I called the cell company and had my nymber changed. They did it free after I explained the situation.

I also had a debt collector calling once. Someone gave my number on the app. I had live people calling and it took a few weeks and talknjg to several "high" ups in the compnay, but it finally stopped.

My hubby has the a very common name and we had some people coming after us for their karaoke machine and deep fryer (which was amusing at the time since we had a shotgun kitchen with barely enough room for the fridge). After a lot of phone calls, a few of them harrassing, we were able to clear it up with the last 4 digits of our social security numbers.

Hope it clears up soon, there is nothing worse than being called about debt, especially when it's not yours!

• NvrGrowUp's Princess Sis!

I had this same problem for quite some time. Unfortunately, the person who had my number prior to me was named Laurie (my name is Laura) - so you can imagine the confusion. The collectors were understanding once I spoke to live people, but about every 6 months, it would start again. I think the key is you have to get the person to notate the account that the number is incorrect - until they do, plan on hearing from them...

• insufferable know-it-all

Change your phone number is the best policy. If it was only one debt collector I'd say hit zero until you reach a live person and tell them to stop calling you (and if they acted like you were still that person, insist on getting contact info for that company, then tell them you are not that person, remove your number from their list, and if they call you again you're going after them for a "do not call" violation.

Oh, and as I recently learned, if someone says they want to be put on a company's do not call list, that company has to send them a copy of their do not call policy within a certain time period. Interesting, no? So they might ask you for your address, and that's why.

But yeah, if it's multiple collectors, dude, change your number will be far easier.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• A Pirate's life for me!

Yeah, NEVER give out your personal info to these clowns. Not even in an attempt to clear your own name.

The best way to handle this is to get a new number.

Second, you could try the legal way. When they call and ask for so and so, ask them who they are. Get a specific name, company name, address and phone number. Then get the operator's (callers) ID number or extension. Then after (and only after) you have all of THEIR info, tell them that they have the wrong person and that you are requesting that they stop calling you. Also send the request in writing, as well as the fact that you are not the person that they are looking for, and the reason why (new phone). Then tell them that any further contact by them is in direct violation of federal law, and that you will report them to the proper authorities if they do it again. I'd also mention that you have a family attorney, and that you would use him/her if necessary.

Just an FYI... I heard about this guy that was getting some phone calls like yours. This guy told the caller, (again, after getting all of the callers info), that he filed chapter 7 bankruptcy and to not call him again. This guy previously had looked up an attorney in the phone book and used his name and number as a contact (the caller will want this info). 9 out of 10 times, the caller will not verify the attorney's info. They'll just mark the account as BK and wait.

Your other choice is to be obnoxious to them. When they call (and get you) ask them to hold on for just a moment. Then just let the phone hang there while you watch TV or something. Of course, if the phone is your cell phone, you don't want to do it this way.

You can also consider the caller a crank caller, and blow a whistle into the phone. Say something first like "you have been told to not call me, you are a crank caller...(of course in a low voice, so they are listening real close) then blow a whistle as loud as you can!!!

Of course, I like the idea of just changing your number best.

Oh, BTW- The no-caller list only works when you are not their customer. If you are a customer, or a person that hasn't paid a bill, they can still call you.

Good luck!

• Fastest Man Alive

Since June I've been getting a debt collecting agency coming after a 'Sandi ann Carlasa' or something like that. It's tapered off, but it's still like a weekly thing. Not a very effective collection agency if they've done squat other than pester for 7 months (get some of those repo guys out in action).
    Personally, I'm just going to change my phone number, been meaning too anyways for other reasons.
    In closing, you've got company...and I have no idea how to make it stop.

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

I have that problem from time to time on my office back line. If it's not my wife or my brother, I know it's a wrong number, because I give that number to no one else. Every so often, I get a debt collection call. I always tell them that they should just take me to court. I refuse to identify myself. When they get uppity and tell me they will get a judgment against me, I tell them that if they do, I will convert my assets to cash, hide it in a box and claim that I lost it all gambling.
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    This device kills fascists.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Ugh.
    I just got a new number a few months ago (advantage of getting a phone number years and years ago I suppose). It's such a pain letting everyone know your new number. I just don't want to deal. It won't extend my contract will it? Maybe I'd at least get one I can remember.

So if I press 1 and I'm not really Sandra hoo haa, I won't be in trouble?

If they call again when the phone's on i'll try to get their info. Hopefully they'll just stop calling.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Prefect

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    Ugh.
    I just got a new number a few months ago (advantage of getting a phone number years and years ago I suppose). It's such a pain letting everyone know your new number. I just don't want to deal. It won't extend my contract will it? Maybe I'd at least get one I can remember.

So if I press 1 and I'm not really Sandra hoo haa, I won't be in trouble?

If they call again when the phone's on i'll try to get their info. Hopefully they'll just stop calling.
    Ugh...I'm so sorry! This is happening to me right now, too. I JUST got this new number & I keep getting all kinds of calls for Rebecca Smith. Some personal, but 99% are from collectors. I just never answer the phone if it's a # I don't know & then erase the VM's.

I probably should just get a new #, but with my luck, the same thing will happen again. What a pain!!
    <o>

• Happy Memories

I don't get calls (I don't think I do anyway), but I do get mail. Someone who used to live with me, but hasn't in about 4 years or more used my address (she's evil!). I tried a couple of times to tell them she didn't live here and to try and find her somewhere else, but they were rude to me. They must've assumed I was just trying to help her scam them or something. They said only she could change the address on the account. I was like whatever dude, it's your loss cause I'm not payin. So now i just throw the letters away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast