• World Traveler

Water Heaters - discuss!

This might be the weirdest topic of the day, but here goes. My condominium complex advised me that I needed to change my water heater because it's too old. We currently have a standard water heater, but we've seen those "tankless" water heaters advertised.

Does anyone here have experience with these tankless heaters? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Re: Water Heaters - discuss!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeland View Post
    This might be the weirdest topic of the day, but here goes. My condominium complex advised me that I needed to change my water heater because it's too old. We currently have a standard water heater, but we've seen those "tankless" water heaters advertised.

Does anyone here have experience with these tankless heaters? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    I'm also interested in this because I just don't get how they work. With a family of five, our hot water disappears in a big hurry. Can these heaters keep up with the demand, or do they need time to warm water that comes in icy cold from under the house?

Ours is getting pretty old as well. I keep draining it to get rid of the sludge, but in spite of this, our hot water never seems to last very long.

• World Traveler

From what I understand, the instant heaters heat the water instantly as it passed through the small machine.

• Bring Me Two Piña Coladas

I deal with claims from water heaters alot. They usually last 5-8 years, depending. They should be checked every 6 months to make sure all the fittings, water & gas lines are ok. If you're runnning out of hot water quickly, you might need a new and bigger capacity tank. A majority of the claims I see are from people not checking up on their water heaters, and making sure nothing is detiorated. Trust me the end result is NOT pretty!!!!

• Hooterville, USA

I'd like to know how they work too.

I live in Anaheim and our water is extremely hard. We pull a 5 gallon bucket of water deposit out of the water heater every year.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Bring Me Two Piña Coladas

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    I live in Anaheim and our water is extremely hard.
    Water is hard? is it old piping? galvanized?

• Incognito

Blog Entries

We used to use InstaHots in many of our buildings. They are a pain! And are expensive to fix when things go wrong. So, we've slowly been switching back to water heaters.

• World Traveler

One drawback to the tankless system I just realized is that if we are ever out of power, we won't have hot water. This happened to me after Hurricane Wilma, but since I have a 40 gallon tank, I had water for two more days.