Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• For You!

Are kids birthday parties getting to be too much?

I just saw this article. I thought it was interesting because a friend and I were just talking about how kids parties were getting out of control. My SIL spends around $300.00 on her kids parties (ages 5 and 8)- not the gifts, just the party. She rents inflatables and gets nice cakes, etc.

I think that anything over $50.00 for a party is ridiculous. I let my son go to the local pizza place (like Chuck E Cheese) and take a couple of friends. Or go go-kart racing with 1 or 2 friends. If he wants to invite a bunch of friends, we can have a party at the house with games and food.

I just think it's insane what parents are doing for kids that won't even remember or appreciate the party.

http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a...00010000000001

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• no flash photography...

Re: Are kids birthday parties getting to be too much?

yes, i think it is insane. i don't understand it and I certainly would never spend that on my kid. I would put it in a savings account for her before I blow it on something trivial like a big one day over the top party.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I'm not a parent, but it certainly seems that it is getting out of hand.

I think the parents are throwing these parties to show themselves off to the other parents, and that's not fair to the kids.

And why all the gifts given to the one-year old? Aren't they more interested in the wrapping and boxes things come in at that age?

The biggest birthday party I had was when I was five, and we had the neighborhood kids over for cake and ice cream, and my Mom had a clown come to entertain. And there were presents, but not that many.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Have you seen that show on Mtv, My Super Sweet 16? These spoiled brats have the most over the top parties. We're talking throwing tantrums of epic proportions if their parents don't spend THOUSANDS of dollars to make the day totally perfect. It's insane! One girl did a total Cinderella theme, then some guy had a parade... a PARADE! WTF?!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I'm not a parent as well, but I definatly would not waste so much money on a party. What sickens me are the kids featured on MTV's "Sweet Sixteen." They are spoiled.

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Have you seen that show on Mtv, My Super Sweet 16? These spoiled brats have the most over the top parties. We're talking throwing tantrums of epic proportions if their parents don't spend THOUSANDS of dollars to make the day totally perfect. It's insane! One girl did a total Cinderella theme, then some guy had a parade... a PARADE! WTF?!
    yeah, but those are VERY wealthy parents.

I chalk it up to one of two thigs. Lazy parenats who feel it's easier to give in then listen to the tantrum or guilty parents who work a lot and try to make it up to their kids by buying them stuff.....Some kids spend the majority of their day in day care and only see their parents for a few hours before bedtime. I just don't see the point in spoling a child like that though.

• Man O Lantern

I tend to spend quite a bit on parties for my kids' birthdays, instead of giving them a bunch of stuff. I think the parties are more memorable than getting a particular toy.

I think the parties usually end up between $150-$250 after the food, cake, and goodies are doled out. If I didn't do a party, I'd probably spend that same amount on gifts. Last year my eleven year old didn't do a party, but we made over her room with all Paul Frank stuff.

The party would have been a helluva lot cheaper.

This year I bought a 2-hour indoor soccerplex party for 20 kids at an auction for $50. We're inviting my soon-to-be 12 year old's entire soccer team. I'll supply pizzas and cake and call it good.

Cheapest party ever. Auctions are awesome places to buy birthday parties.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell View Post
    I think the parties usually end up between $150-$250 after the food, cake, and goodies are doled out. If I didn't do a party, I'd probably spend that same amount on gifts.
    That makes sense. I spent about $150.00 on clothes for my daughter for her B-day. Of course it only bought one pair of jeans and two shirts...teens....expensive little things. Then I got her hooked on bare minerals and I get to buy thet for her as well. One her foundation only lasted one month I went through the roof. I ahve no idea how she used so much, but the new one is lasted as it should, ..kids...

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

I'm doing my son's birthday at the nickel arcade. It includes pizza, soda, ice cream, invitations, goodie bags, $ to play games with...$140. I pay for the convenience of not having to do anything, but also because a birthday party in February is really hard to plan. One year it was 85 degrees, one year we froze to death. Our house is too small to accomodate a dozen kids.

Last year we didn't do a party and went to Legoland instead, just the 3 of us, which probably cost about the same anyway. I usually offer a choice of party or go do something for a treat.
    A signature should go here.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Before we moved our circle of friends included 15 kids! So I got Inflatables for my boys's parties when they were younger. It was $90 for 8 hours and worth every penny! I also did treat bags for the kids. Since we always had adults there too I would usually bbq or do a lot of appetizer type foods.
    I never felt it was ridiculous to have the inflatables or such. With so many kids it was a great way to burn off all that cake

This past year my oldest choose to go and visit his old friends in Stockton instead of having a party. My youngest had 5 friends over from school and we had pizza, pinata, lightsaber duels and played Nick Scene It.

As for cakes we almost always do Costco, $15.99 and they taste better than the ones from the grocery stores

Oh and as for not remembering their parties, maybe when they're very young but as they get older they do remember them. My oldest loves to reminisce about his parties, he'll even tell you that his favorite birthday party was his Indiana Jones party when he turned 8.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Banned User

wow... i dont know how expensive my parties were... but not that much.

Quote Originally Posted by figment1986 View Post
    wow... i dont know how expensive my parties were... but not that much.
    we don't do parties in my fmaily. B-days are not the main event of the year. We had one swim party when I was about 11 or 12. My daughter had one party when she was 6 or 7. That was at a kids party place, but grandma insisted and paid for it.

The most expensive b-day I had was my 16th. My parents put $2k down on a car for me and I made the payments.

For my daughters 16th b-day she was given a car, but she does not drive so the car just sits there for now. The only reason she got the car was because my parents bought a new one and was not offered much for ti as a trade in...so they kept it. They could have sold it, but they gave it to my daughter...*shrug*

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

My wife is always saying this. Nowadays, you're shelling out for rock climbing parties, bowling parties, water parks and laser tag...etc, etc, etc.

When we were kids, it was...everyone put on a funny hat. Here's your cake. Thanks for coming...buh-bye.

Now...we're lucky if we get through the day under $200.
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 01-21-2007 at 11:23 PM.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

I think the inflatables are far from extravagant. We've done them for our son's parties and it was so worth it! The kids love them and so the the adults! We usually reserve some adult time and kick the kids out for a bit so we can go nuts! It's so fun!

We usually spend a couple hundred on birthdays I would guess. But I think it's really special and that he does remember them and it's worth it. And we can afford it, we wouldn't do it if we couldn't.

My four year old likes to talk about past birthdays also, he can tell you what birthday he had for which year. His favorite was the Hot Wheels party when he turned three! Of course he is just shy of five so it wasn't that long ago.

This year we are getting a hotel room at the World's Largest Indoor Water park. It's going to be so much fun, we are looking forward to it as much as he is! And I just know we'll remember it for many many years to come.
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• We wants the Redhead

I average $200-$250 for my boys party. Since they are 10 days apart we do them together, well at least until the complain..lol. We do it at home, and they can pretty much invite anyone they want. It ends up being cheaper than going to CEC.
    Janet
    John 3:16

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast