Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Incognito

Blog Entries

How were you called home as a kid?

Remember when you were a kid, playing in the neighborhood after school (or after dinner). You'd be riding bikes, or playing tag or hide and seek. Maybe you were a dork like I was and you were playing "monorail" with your bike around the corner church parking lot. Just being totally engulfed in what you were doing with your friends. Then you got the call home to dinner, or to go home for the night.

How were you called home? Or did you have something you had to look out for that told you "OK it's time to go home now"?

I was watering the front yard tonight when my "call to go home" turned on which totally brought me back to when I was a kid growing up in the Valley in the 1970's. And which is why I'm writing this thread .

See, my "call to go home" was when the street lights turned on. As soon as those lights flickered alive and grew in intensity, that was my call to book it home. Usually this was during the spring and summer, when I was outside later because it was lighter later.

I had 2 back-up calls to get home as well. #2 was my dad yelling my name at the top of his lungs. "MATT!!!!!" My dad had an incredibly booming loud voice and yes, when he yelled my name, I could hear it 2 blocks away (seriously).

Now, if I didn't hear THAT (and I usually always did) #3 would happen. I didn't much care for #3 because that was my dad actually coming to GET me. I can just see him coming to a friends house telling me "Didnt you see the lights or hear me? Come on lets go home!" Or if I was already heading home and I would see him walking down the street to get me, oh holy hell that was a bad sign too. He'd usually grab the handle bar of my bike and walk me home with me still on it.

Of course at the time I just thought it was my dad being overprotective, which I guess he was. But I'm glad he did. That era was a scary time. Different scary than now, but scary.

So what about you?

• Queen of Sarcasm

Re: How were you called home as a kid?

During the summer it would be around the time is started getting dark. Usually 7pm or on lucky days 8pm

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Whenever I heard my middle name, I knew I was in trouble.

"Barry Gage"!!!

I grew up in Orange County, in Cypress and later Garden Grove. In Cypress, Cawthon School was right across the street from our house, so my folks could often see me playing basketball or whatever on the playground. The streetlights were most often my first cue, but sometimes I could smell my mother's cooking...
    Memories.

--Barry "Gage"
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Senior Minion

My parents never really let us play outside much since we live in the city close to some major streets. But, whenever we were out and my Dad lost track of us he would whistle. Now that I think about it we were like dogs ... lol ... my dad would whistle ... we would stop whatever we were doing ... and then go in the direction of his whistling.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

"DAVID! Time to come home!"

Pretty basic.

• Waiting for the stork

The street lights were our signal too. Spring and summer nights, those lights flicker and we would all start the long goodbye process...how awful until we could play again the next morning, but we knew to get in before the first parent came out, because once one kids parent opened the front door, the rest did almost immediatly, and then kids would get yelled at up and down the street...funny now, not so much then...
    procrastibating

• no flash photography...

unfortuantly I don'thave very many childhood memories. i thik I was just expected to be in the house by dusk...IDK..though.

• Gay Man

I was never called HOME, they always called me LISA.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Not Afraid View Post
    I was never called HOME, they always called me LISA.
    HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH...that is hysterical! I love it.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

We had a big 'ol train bell on our front porch. You could hear that thing for miles. It always evoked a pavlovian response with me hauling butt home.

Interesting how today I wouldn't think of having my kids play down the street where I couldn't see them.

Times change.

• e komo mai

It was a whistle my mom made with her two fingers and her big 'ol mouth. She could whistle really loudly.

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

When the street lights came on. If I didnt come home then, mom would come out and call me "becky its time to come home" if not then, it as by my entire name. 3 names meant trouble.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• Minion

I never really waundered far from home when I was little...so it was easy as walking out to the grass and saying my name for my mom
    Now..if im out and supposed to be home, i can be reached in seconds on a cell phone

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Basically the same as others, if the street lights came on, it was home for me. If they yelled Jack III (yes I am the third) then I was in trouble.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• Directly directed

Usually at dusk I was expected to go in. During the summer though I'd often go and plead to stay out later, which sometimes they agreed to and sometimes not. Otherwise my mom would yell "Autumn!" Kinda the same way Aunt Em yells Dorothy's name. You know all dragged out and high pitched?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast