Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

In Praise of Trekkie Dad

Hi Folks! Since I can't seem to fall asleep tonight for some reason, I thought I'd tell you a story .....

A few years ago , I read a thread about a guy who had gone on a bike ride on a very challenging trail I know of in Tahoe, had crashed , and had had an amazing rescue by helicopter. I replied to his thread via a pm and thus began with my relationship with Trekkie Dad.

I continued to correspond with him both on the board and in pm's and when I'd decided he wasn't an "internet weirdo" and confirmed with my friend Earkid who had actually met him at DL that my instincts were correct, I agreed to let him and his friend come down to my house for a weekend so they could visit with me and my family and participate in a local 100 mile bike ride.

My first impression upon meeting Trekkie Dad in person was "Whoa...this guy can talk.....and talk.......and talk...and talk.......LOL I knew I'd met my match! He talked to me till almost midnight. He talked to me at the crack of dawn . Heck, I think I even heard him talking in his sleep in the 6 hours between midnight and the crack of dawn!!! LOL

In between all that talking, his friend he 'd brought with him did manage to get a few words in edgewise and we discovered that he had a GPS and knew of an activity called geocaching. It sounded like fun , so the next thing we knew, we were all in my van and going all over town looking for geocaching treasures. It was great , especially when his friend thought he'd found a treasure and pulled it out of its hiding place only to discover it was not a treasure but a slimy snail!

I'm not great at remembering exact details and time frames, but I know that there are a few more times that Trekkie Dad has come down to our house since that first initial visit. One of those times was last April when he came down with big plans to take me on a bike ride with him. I remember being at work all morning dreading the ride I was about to go on with him that afternoon because I was terribly out of shape and I knew he was in great shape. I got home from work and he had my bike and helmet all ready to go. We drove out to a beautiful spot in Corralitos and began the long trek straight up a very steep mountain! I can't say I rode fast at all, but I can say I never stopped , but kept right on peddling and wasn't huffing and puffing too hard or turning bright red! When we were done with our ride , we drove to Gizdich Ranch and met our friend Pixywings for a short visit and I think Trekkie Dad ate a piece of pie!

A few days later , Trekkie Dad posted a trip report about coming to my house complete with pictures of me bike riding and this quote, "Princess Buttercup has really let herself go..." I was totally embarassed and to be honest , a little bit ticked, but also very glad that he said it because his brutal honesty made me finally get off my butt and start doing something about losing the weight I'd gained and I lost 17 pounds after that!

I know Trekkie Dad can give advice about dieting and exercising that is sometimes overwhelming to the person just starting out on a diet and exercise routine. But having been a former athlete, I also know that his diet and exercise tips are right on and great for someone who is well on his way to getting in shape or already there. And he is definitely a bike guru.....I would totally trust anything he tells me about bikes, bike gear, bike trails, etc. One other thing I can say about Gary, is he can sometimes dish things out, but he can also take them. It's one of the things I like and admire about him , since often times friends are polite, but not really honest with each other, and I believe it's the honesty that helps us grow.

I've also had the pleasure of meeting Trekkie Dad's wife on one of their visits down here to my house. We had a great time going to the Santa Cruz Wharf where Trekkie Dad was brave enough to try an oyster with me on the pier and then we all had dinner at one of the restaurants. The next day I had fun visiting with his wife and hearing about the book she was reading about the Himalayans while Trekkie Dad was on a bike ride.

In October, Trekkie Dad traveled all the way from Stockton to San Francisco by BART to keep a promise he'd made to Hakuna Makarla to come visit her if she ever made it out to California again! We all had a great time at Pier 39 and Bubba Gump's. And one of my favorite all time memories of Trekkie Dad is when we dropped him off at the BART station to head home. We watched as he disappeared down the escalator and the last three things showing were his eyeglasses, his hat and then his little hand waving goodbye. And then less than five minutes later , he was calling us on his cell phone and telling us in his excited voice that he'd hopped right on a train, had already gone under the bay and was already as far as Oakland.

I think Trekkie Dad is one of the people who you don't fully "get" until you meet him in person and get to know him well , and then once you do, his online personality totally makes sense and you just can't help but like him , quirkiness and all!! And the thread he started about the addictiveness of Pockey has been cracking me up lately!

My life and the life of my husband and kids has been totally enriched by knowing Trekkie Dad, and I hope a lot of you get to have the pleasure of meeting him and getting to know him better too if you haven't already!

I love you Trekkie Dad and just felt compelled to say so online tonight!!!

And now, maybe I can finally fall asleep since I'm not just writing this in my head , but have actually said it!!!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

Re: In Praise of Trekkie Dad

What a wonderful testimony for a special person you consider a good friend.
    Thanks for sharing.

I had my own "diet" moment with TD that left me a bit battered, but also fighting to do something with my own weight and exercise. And I've had success too!

Thanks TD, continued success in your bike riding.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

It'd take a small book to describe what a great hostess PB is, taking in a couple guys she barely knows, so they can rest up and get a good start on a 100-mile bike ride.

Thanks, PB, you've made my day, and it's barely even started! Now I got to get ready for work.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
    2014 so far: 5751 miles, 319,000 feet

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Awww... how cool Anne!!! I haven't had the pleasure of meeting Trekkie Dad yet, but look forward to someday running into him and Osky at Disneyland!!!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• insufferable know-it-all

So sweet!

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Collapse the waveform

I haven't met TD myself but my wife has and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Yay, Gary.
    Follow me on Twitter: @matthamand

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Awww that was so sweet PB. I'm glad you two have developed such a great friendship. Thanks for sharing it with all of us.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• is on the rocks

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Buttercup View Post
    My first impression upon meeting Trekkie Dad in person was "Whoa...this guy can talk.....and talk.......and talk...and talk.......LOL I knew I'd met my match! He talked to me till almost midnight. He talked to me at the crack of dawn . Heck, I think I even heard him talking in his sleep in the 6 hours between midnight and the crack of dawn!!! LOL
    LOL - okay, this cracked me up!

I love you Trekkie Dad and just felt compelled to say so online tonight!!!
    Wow - so very sweet - thanks for sharing. What a special friendship.
    She did it!

• Man O Lantern

What a great way to show TD how much he means to you, PB! That's awesome. You're a great friend and a good sport (TD, I remember you mocking our lovely PB on a bike ride!! ).

Did my heart some good to read this, thanks!

--Claire

• no one to be trifled with

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: In Praise of Trekkie Dad

My life and the life of my husband and kids has been totally enriched by knowing Trekkie Dad, and I hope a lot of you get to have the pleasure of meeting him and getting to know him better too if you haven't already!
    Werd.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

That might be the nicest thread I've read in a long time, straight from PB's heart. Awww!

See, people really DO become friends outside of MiceChat. I have yet to meet TD, but I'm actually dying to meet his wife because she looks like she'd be a lot of fun, too.
    A signature should go here.

• Hello there

Blog Entries

Wow that was really nice! Thanks for sharing PB.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

True friendships are a beautiful thing. I have made several myself here on MC so I really understand the value of your post PB. You guys are lucky.
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Spidergrrrl View Post

Wow - so very sweet - thanks for sharing. What a special friendship.
    Oh , it's "special" all right!!

Totally kidding ...this is just the way Trekkie Dad and I like to banter with each other.

And he has finally learned to let ME monopolize our conversations every now and then!

Quote Originally Posted by Trekkie Dad View Post
    Thanks, PB, you've made my day, and it's barely even started!
    Yay!!! That was my goal ...to make sure you had a great day and know how much you are liked and loved by several of us Micechatters!

Now just don't forget to bring your dancing shoes the next time you come down my way cuz you STILL owe me a flamenco class!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast