Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: I had to put my four year old black cat to sleep; my sad story.

I am so sorry for your loss. I also am a black cat owner, and he gets the full barrage of shots as he's outside for a couple hours every day. Unfortunately, with vaccines, this is always a risk. There are always risks with any medical or veterinary procedure. But it should not sway anyone from getting a pet (or a person!) vaccinated if the situation warrants it -- the benefit outweighs the risk. However, I am so sorry, and it is terrible that your pet had to "be the 1" in 10,000, though!

Also, if one gets the FeLV shot, make SURE they do the "FeLV TEST" *first!* -- this should be a day or two in advance.

Jackie
    NRBF

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

Quote Originally Posted by NapaRoseBarfly View Post
    Unfortunately, with vaccines, this is always a risk. There are always risks with any medical or veterinary procedure. But it should not sway anyone from getting a pet (or a person!) vaccinated if the situation warrants it -- the benefit outweighs the risk. However, I am so sorry, and it is terrible that your pet had to "be the 1" in 10,000, though!

Also, if one gets the FeLV shot, make SURE they do the "FeLV TEST" *first!* -- this should be a day or two in advance.
    My thoughts exactly NapaRoseBarfly. I will never get that shot for my cats again but everyone needs to decide what is best for them and/or their pets. People need to be informed about all medicine, shots and precedures. Unfortunitly, I was not told the odds of my cat getting Leukemia. I now know the drug is still new but the odds of getting the disease are just too high for me. "Once bitten twice shy."

I want to thank some new posters to this thread that I have not thanked yet: CrystalCastle, BDBopper, Stitch74, JosieGirl71 and you NapaRoseBarfly for all your kind words. It means a lot to me.

• Clearing my Calendar

I had a nice long reply written out yesterday but my computer gliched on me. I was so mad that I had to leave it alone until now to try and post – again.

I’m sad for your loss. I had a black cat, Shadow. Perhaps she and Sable and the other black cats have formed a “Black Cat Club” of their own? Wouldn’t that be neat? So now they’re all waiting for us as a group!

I also wanted to note that I nearly lost my Plika to the FIP (I know we’re talking about FeLV here) vaccine. The emergency vet who treated him for his reaction was shocked that he had been given the vaccine. She said that FIP is generally only needed if cats have access to cow manure (her words, not mine). I was shocked because I had told the vet who vaccinated him that he’s an indoor cat, with my other kitty Kiybu, and I only wanted rabies, FeLV, and distemper (the rabies because of law, and the other two because I was working in the pet industry and could potentially bring those home on my clothes).

Needless to say, neither of my kitties are getting any vaccinations from this point forward. They still get their check-ups annually, just no shots. My new vet (a CAT vet only! ) said the only time I would ever need to consider the vaccines again is if I go back into the pet industry or I need to have them boarded. I don’t foresee either happening so, yay!
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

TraceCub, we almost named our new black kittie Shadow! I wanted to name her Sabrina (such a delicate name) but my boys would not go with that. It was my husband who came up with Raven. I use to live in Alaska and the Inupiat word for raven is tulukaruk, but again, the boys would not go for that!

I'm glad your kitty Plika came out ok after getting teh FIP vaccine. When I first spotted the bump on Sable, the vet said it was probably just a reaction to the vaccine and that sort of thing is normal. But in this case it was not normal and it kept getting bigger! Never again with that vaccine!

Thanks for taking the time to post a thread and to tell your story. I do believe that we will see our pets again when we depart this place. A few MiceChatters have the same idea. Great minds think alike!

• Minion

I just wanted to add to the condolenses. I too have lost a cat and know how it feels. Except we had no clue and he died in the bathroom of our home. He was only 2 and had kidney problems. He got better and then boom...
    At least you have a new friend! BTW, how is your finger doing?

• Banned User

for several days we have had to go thru hell for my little Bufford, he ate a different dog food at my moms and got pancreatitis. he was so sick the vet did not know if he would live. that baby of mine was in such great pain and so sick. He is doing much better, but the trauma of this left us shaken. he can only have science diet I/D canned from here on out. we are still giving him lactate ringer thru a needle I insert in his back 2 times a day, and he had his first meal of 4 half teaspoons of food today .He was soooo hungry. he had not eaten in 4 days.
    Never never, give your dogs cheap dog food, or change it when you see good sales. stick with the best dog food possible ! my dog goes to work with me, and his food is there, when mom ran out she bout old roy that stuff will kill a dog! big or small. the vet said he has seen dogs lay down and die after eating that crap. I wish my mom would have told me she changed foods, my dog has had pancreatitis before and she knoew he could not eat anything but the food he can only eat. but her dog ate it all and she went out and got the old roy, she now knows that was a bad mistake !
    Last edited by Hakuna Makarla; 09-12-2007 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy98 View Post
    BTW, how is your finger doing?
    Much better, thank you Tracy for asking. I am on these "horse pills" that are huge! I believe my finger is completely healed, but they say you must continue with the anti-biotics until all used up.

Thank you for your condolences and I offer up mine for your poor kitty. Two years is too young.

And welcome to Mice Chat!

Quote Originally Posted by Hakuna Makarla View Post
    Never never, give your dogs cheap dog food, or change it when you see good sales. stick with the best dog food possible !
    Good advice Hakuna Makarla. I hope your little doggie gets better!

• Clearing my Calendar

Quote Originally Posted by Nancywitt View Post
    TraceCub, we almost named our new black kittie Shadow!
    It's a great name!

Quote Originally Posted by Nancywitt
    I'm glad your kitty Plika came out ok after getting teh FIP vaccine.
    It's lucky we got him to the vet when we did. He's, literally, my baby. I do not exagerate when I say he's my son!

Glad to hear your finger is better.
    and the stars come out,

So sorry you lost your kitty. We have nine and they are family. I glad to hear you found one not to replace Sable, but to love in Sable's memory.

• Clearing my Calendar

Never never, give your dogs cheap dog food, or change it when you see good sales. stick with the best dog food possible ! my dog goes to work with me, and his food is there, when mom ran out she bout old roy that stuff will kill a dog! big or small.
    While I wouldn't say Old Roy automatically causes harm to pets (it wouldn't be allowed otherwise), poor nutritional foods can aggravate a problem that is already there (as in your sweet boy).

On that note,to everyone in general, definitely always spend what you can most afford for the best qualilty food! Natural Choice is my first pick, followed by the PetSmart brand Authority and Science Diet. The makers of Science Diet also have a line called Hills Science Diet which is what Karla spoke of with the I/D formula her baby is now on. Generally, you need a doctor's approval and attention to have a pet on that kind.

This goes for both dogs and cats. Personally my cats prefer Authority, but I'm going to start mixing it with Natural Choice now that I can afford the $23 a bag it costs until I can eventually get them to enjoy Natural Choice by its lonesome.

Remember: Cheap Food is probably the equivalent of McDonald's. While it *might* not kill you, wouldn't you rather have grilled salmon with garden greens and grain rice every night?
    and the stars come out,

• Banned User

thank you Trace my dog is doing much better today! and the Hill science diet round here is no longer by script. you can walk in and buy it with out hassle.

• Clearing my Calendar

thank you Trace my dog is doing much better today! and the Hill science diet round here is no longer by script. you can walk in and buy it with out hassle.
    Glad to hear he's doing better! Great about the prescription too!
    and the stars come out,

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lightyear999 View Post
    So sorry you lost your kitty. We have nine and they are family. I glad to hear you found one not to replace Sable, but to love in Sable's memory.
    Wow! Nine cats! That is going above and beyond the call of duty. You must really love cats. I would love to see all of them. Can you post some pictures? Do they all get along?

Thanks for you kind words Mr. Lightyear.

my dog is doing much better today! and the Hill science diet round here is no longer by script. you can walk in and buy it with out hassle.
    Glad to hear about your baby Hakuna Markarla.

It's hard to lose a pet but sometimes getting a new one helps ease the transition. When our last dog died, we had to get the remaining dog a friend because he was terribly lonely. My basset hound growled at me, which is a *huge* change in personality and it's because he was so lonesome. So we found him a new friend and all is well.

My black cat is named Bast. She has her own photo album on my Flickr site- http://www.flickr.com/photos/6244334...7594131079553/

She shares it with a couple of other cats but it's her album.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

I agree with you aplhabassetgrrl about getting a new pet when you have lost one. I think our other cat Mocha was a bit "lost" when he didn't see Sable for a few days. Then, when we brought home another black cat, this one much smaller, we joked that Mocha thought this was Sable, only she shrunk. I think he is happy again.

Your Bast is a cutie. Keep your eye open for a new club hopefully coming to MiceChat for black cat owners. We already have 7 members!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast