Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

I had to put my four year old black cat to sleep; my sad story.

Some of you know about my black cat Sable. (Sable is my VMK name as well). She was the sweetest cat ever. We picked her up at a PetSmart about four years ago. We had to get a black cat because my husband flies with JetBlue and after having to deal with white cat fur on his uniform, he decided enough was enough. Only black cats from now on.

Last October I took her into the vets for her shots. I always do what the doctors tell me to do and I let them give her the Feline Leukemia shot. What they did not tell me was that she has a 1 in 10,000 chance of getting leukemia. Well, you guessed it, she came down with leukemia. There was a lump on her right side by her back leg. The doctor said he could operate and try to get all the cancer. Once again, I did what the doctor told me to do. When I picked her up the day before Thanksgiving, she had a huge cut down her side. It was awful. I won't describe what went on that night, but it was just terrible.

She did bounce back pretty soon after the operation, but I was not too optimistic that he got everything. All it takes is one cell to start multiplying again, and sure enough, within a month I saw another lump. The doctor said he could send her to another doctor and have her operated on again, but this time I did not listen to him. I was just going to keep an eye on her and put her down when she was not enjoying life any more.

I told my two boys, ages 10 and 6, that we would have to put her to sleep soon. After much crying, they came to grips with it. My little one wanted to take pictures of her while he still could.

I took her to the vet on the 18th. My husband was going to do it, but at the last minute, I took her. She was my cat. I brought her in and petted her for the last time. The doctor told me the first shot would hurt a bit but then she would rest before the second shot put her under. Well, the first shot must have really hurt, since Sable took a good chunk out of my finger! But I can't blame her, poor thing. (I did have to go to the emergency room the next day because it was infected. But I am now on antibiotics and am doing well.) She was breathing deeply, but was basically out of it. I let the doctor take her into the other room to give her the final shot. I did not want to see that.

I am very sad to lose my favorite cat but I am mostly mad that the drug company had a shot that gave my cat a disease instead of preventing it! I will never give my cats the Feline Leukemia shot again. The odds are too high. But we all must make our own decisions.

There is a good part of this story though and she is sitting on my lab right now. Saturday my boys, me and my husband went back to PetSmart and found a cute little black kitten. We snatched her up and brought her home and named her Raven. She is just a dream. She loves to be pet and to sit on your lap. We are lucky to have her.

Thank you for reading my story. It still makes me sad to lose Sable, but in the "Circle of Life," I feel we have her back again in the form of Raven.(Pictures to follow soon.)

Sable

• rockin butter sponge!

Re: I had to put my four year old black cat to sleep; my sad story.

My heart goes out to you. I am experiencing something similar. My Cat Greebo was given his shot for FIP when he was little, but they hadn't told us that Kittens get FIP while they are still with thier mother and littermates, and there is no way to know if a kitty has it till they are about 3 years old. Well, my fluffy ginger got sick in November, he lost 10lbs in a month. He now has FIP, and is fighting a feline type of hepatitus. We don't know how long we have him for, but he is doing better, gained 5 lbs back. It's day to day. Our love is whats keeping him here.
    Im sure one day my kitty will meet yours on the rainbow bridge..

• love my friends

i am so sorry to hear about your cat.. 4 years old is so young for a cat to have died. that is aweful. a shot you gave your cat to prevent a disease kills her.. wow... thanks for sharing your story

my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family

Friends for life

Thank you kelly and Mineux for your support. I hope Greebo gets better Mineux. It is hard to put down a loved cat, but I know you will do what is best for him.

My other cat, a siamese mix named Mocha, is a carrier for FIP but has never come down with it. He is now ten years old and going strong. Go figure.

• love my friends

we had to put our old black cat puffy to sleep a few year back (he was 18 though) he had renal failure... i was in the room when he was put to sleep because he waas so scared.. i couldnt leave him alone. (I didnt look when they gave him the needle) I looked at the ground and just patted him.. i felt so bad. it was likie losing my best friend that day. so I know how you are feeling. a pet whether it is a dog or a cat is a part of our family, is a best friend,.. again my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family

Friends for life

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

You told me the news last night and my heart goes out to you. I am terribly sorry for your loss and for how the situation came to be. I think its wonderful that Raven is a light in this dark time for you and I send you my thoughts to get you and your family through this difficult time.

• Waiting for the stork

Nancy,
    I am so very sorry sorry. I too have lost a kitty to feline leukemia a few years ago, if you need a shoulder, I am here.

procrastibating

• Beep Beep!

I'm sorry to hear that, I know your sense of loss very well.
    HDAlien

-----------------------------------------------------
    "I dream of the day when you can go to a drive through, purchase alcohol, tobacco, and bullets, and use them all before you get home" -- Dogbert

Thank you Tinkerbelle and Summer. You guys were so cute last month when you asked me about the Black Cat Owners Association that I had in my signiture (evilqueenrocks is a member too). I loved your stories about your black cats. I had to get a new one so I could stay a member!

There is just something about a pet that brings joy to your life.

• love my friends

Quote Originally Posted by Nancywitt View Post
    Thank you Tinkerbelle and Summer. You guys were so cute last month when you asked me about the Black Cat Owners Association that I had in my signiture (evilqueenrocks is a member too). I loved your stories about your black cats. I had to get a new one so I could stay a member!

There is just something about a pet that brings joy to your life.
    i agree a pet brings you unconditional love.. something a human just cant do...

Friends for life

• Hello there

Blog Entries

Nancy- I am sorry for your loss. Pets are members of the family and such a joy. Their loss is deeply felt. to you and your family.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• Senior Minion

We're very, very sorry to hear about your loss--we know how losing a beloved pet like this can simply wrench your heart out.

I hope things get better, with time, and you'll always keep her alive in your heart!

• For old time sake

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I am sure my big boy Marley was hapy to welcome Sable to the family and that she is watching over you.
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• World Traveler

This is a terribly sad story. Thanks for the information. Sometimes I think that cats are better off just going through their normal lives instead of getting all those terrible shots from veterinarians.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

I'm so so sorry

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast