• Minion

Challenger Rememberance

It was 21 yrs ago this weekend that many of us, myself included, had the shattering experience of watching the Challenger explode in the sky.

As one who dreamt of flying to the stars from his youth, it was a horrible thing to watch.

A wonderful tribute was performed by John Denver...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaMbky66-38[/youtube]
    ďAny sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, thatís when the magic really happens": Modern Family

• Feeling LOVED

Re: Challenger Rememberance

Its amazing that it has been 21 years already. I remember it like it was yesterday. Its amazing how you still can remember where you were when it happened. Still so sad.
    HEARTS CLUB !!

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Quote Originally Posted by Mom2dzneboys View Post
    Its amazing that it has been 21 years already. I remember it like it was yesterday. Its amazing how you still can remember where you were when it happened. Still so sad.
    There were only a handful of those moments in my life. Excluding personal things like breakups, deaths, illnesses and injuries of loved ones, as well as all the earthquakes I clearly remember (particularly Sylmar, Whitter and Northridge) I still remember where I was and what I was doing when:

Reagan got shot - coming back from PE
    Lennon got shot - walking into the house after playing basketball
    Challenger exploded - the phone rang and woke me up
    Magic Johnson announced he had AIDS - at the office near a radio
    OJ was acquitted - at the office watching a little TV
    Oklahoma City - in bed with my alarm clock radio playing
    Princess Diana died - standing on a rock at the beach
    9/11 went down - in bed with my alarm clock radio playing, then TV
    Columbia disintegrated - watched it live from my living room couch
    Katrina came ashore - watched it live from the same couch
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    This device kills fascists.

• This space for rent

It's weird for me I never remember it's exact date until it get's close, but I do remember almost everything that happened that day like a flashback, since I was at school at Titusville High School that day, which sits across the river from the launch area and it was so eerie to be standing out in the courtyard and all the debris seemed like it would never stop falling. Students and teachers crying, some of us just were so stunned couldn't really say anything.

I can remember seeing so many individual smoke trails, and the old Jolly Green Giant rescue helicopter/s flying around and searching for what seemed like most of the rest of the day. It really crushed that city/area as so many there worked for someone or something related to the space program, I don't think the city to this day has ever really made a complete comeback from from that accident.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Mom2dzneboys View Post
    That so true! I was driving on my way to my student teaching job when I heard the news and I was so upset that I had to pull over...truly a sad day in American history! And my husband and I were both at home when we heard the news that John Denver had died and we both cried as we had both grown up loving his music as kids!

That was a really nice video..thanks for sharing it Tiggerfan!

• Senior Minion

I remember being in Government class in High School and everyone was watching on the TV monitors the whole thing unfold, because a teacher was going into Space.
    The looks on peoples faces, I will never, ever forget. They were like empty shells. Just shattered. We were all sent home that day. I had Space Shuttle blueprints on my walls as a kid.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

That video was just beautiful! It is amazing how one single moment in time is felt the same by so many. I was at the doctors office that morning, home from elementary school, when the news came on.
    All growing up, we had pictures of the crew on our dining room wall.
    I reject your reality, and subsitute my own!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I was in 6th grade (or was it 5th?) when that happened. I remember we were at lunch when a classmate came running down saying that happened. We didn't believe her at first but the whole school was soon buzzing about it. And I remember right after lunch we went into the gym and saw an old Mummy movie (was "Monster Week" at school).

• Married and happy again!!

I remember it so crystal clear it's like it was yesterday. I was in 8th grade we where in art class and we where watching it since the teacher Sharon Christa McAuliffe was onboard. I remember it going up and then the horrible moment that it exploded. I remember sitting sitting there in total shock and I remember that alot of the kids had tears in thier eyes I know I did. It's one of thoughs memories I wish I didn't have.
    Micechatter #5053 Looking for our new home in the WDW area! We need to get closer to our "Laughing Place"!

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

When I was working in the elementary school as a computer lab tech, every year at this time I would put up a poster in my lab showing all of the members of the flight in rememberance to the Challenger crew.

I remember in vivid detail the night before, when my husband and daughter were already asleep and I sat on the coffee table watching the news talk about all of the set backs and problems that had plagued the mission so far....

I remember vividly talking my daughter to preschool, and turning on the radio and hearing the news.....

Thank you Tiggerfan for posting this thread and the wonderful tribute from John Denver.

The Future Belongs to the Brave....

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Minion

Thanks for the kind comments, but the credit should go to Denver and the crew of Challenger.

They truly were flying for all of us.

And I'd still go up tomorrow if they asked me.
    ďAny sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, thatís when the magic really happens": Modern Family