Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Miranda Lambert and Me!

June22

1955:
    Disney's Lady and the Tramp, the first feature-length cartoon produced in CinemaScope, is generally released. The idea for the film comes from a short story by Ward Greene entitled "Happy Dan, the Whistling Dog."

1970:
    The Walt Disney Archives is established on the studio lot in Burbank, California (with a little help from David R. Smith) and charged with recording and preserving the history of Disney. Smith's connection with Disney dates back to 1967 when, as a librarian at UCLA, he compiled an extensive bibliography on Walt Disney, spending over a year researching all Disney publications and productions.

1977:
    Disney's 23rd animated feature film The Rescuers is released in U.S. theaters. The movie features the voices of Bob Newhart, Eva Gabor, and Joe Flynn. The song "Someone's Waiting For You," written by Carol Connors (lyrics), Ayn Robbins (lyrics), & Sammy Fain (music), will be nominated for an Academy Award.

1985:
    Videopolis (a high-tech nightclub style outdoor entertainment venue) opens in Disneyland's Fantasyland.

1988:
    Who Framed Roger Rabbit? is generally released.

1997:
    Disney's Hercules has its California premiere at Cal Arts in Los Angeles.

2001:
    Disney's animated feature Atlantis: The Lost Empire is released. The film includes the voice-over talents of Leonard Nimoy, Michael J. Fox, James Garner, Jim Varney, Don Novello, and David Ogden Stiers.

2004:
    Six classic Disney tunes are chosen as part of The American Film Institute's top 100 songs. Broadcast on CBS-TV, AFI's 100 Years ... 100 Songs is hosted by John Travolta. Disney is represented in the list with:

"When You Wish Upon A Star" (from Pinocchio) at #7
    "Some Day My Prince Will Come" (from Snow White) at #19
    "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" (from Mary Poppins) at #36
    "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" (from Song of the South) at #47
    "Beauty and the Beast" (from Beauty and the Beast) at #62
    "Hakuna Matata" (from The Lion King) at #99.
    Listen to me on the radio!

us101country.com Fridays- 9p-12m ET and Saturdays- 7p-10p ET

981thelegend.com Monday-Friday - 12m-6a ET

rock105.net Sundays - 10p-12m ET

You can also visit my DJ blog HERE!
    Also, I have a Myspace- CLICK HERE

June 23

1925:
    Disney's Alice Comedy Alice is Stage Struck premieres at the Rivoli Theater in New York City.

1944:
    Disney's short Springtime for Pluto is released.

1956:
    Disneyland's Skyway to Fantasyland and Skyway to Tomorrowland begin transporting guests across the park. Guests take off from a small Alpine chalet in Fantasyland and travel through the Matterhorn mountain on their way to Tomorrowland. Tomorrowland guests seated in Skwyay buckets pass over such attractions as the Richfield Autopia and the Goodyear PeopleMover on their way to Fantasyland.

1963:
    At Disneyland, the Enchanted Tiki Room (the first attraction to feature Audio-Animatronics figures first developed by WED Enterprises) opens.

1967:
    Disney's The Happiest Millionaire starring Fred MacMurray opens in Hollywood, California.

1989:
    Disney's Honey, I Shrunk the Kids (starring Rick Moranis, Matt Frewer and Marcia Strassman) is released along with the Disney short Tummy Trouble featuring Roger Rabbit and Baby Herman.

The Walt Disney World attraction Dreamflight (located in Tomorrowland) opens to guests.

1995:
    Disney's 33rd full-length animated feature Pocahontas is generally released in the U.S. the same day The Spirit of Pocahontas opens at Disneyland's Fantasyland Theatre.

1999:
    In Disneyland, Tarzan's Treehouse opens in Adventureland replacing the Swiss Family Treehouse.

2000:
    Sotheby's in New York City hosts a 6-day exhibition of the art of Disney's Tarzan and Fantasia/2000.

2004:
    A set of four 37-cent postage stamps, 23-cent postal cards and printed stationary that comes with 37 cents of postage featuring Disney characters are issued by the United States Postal Service.
    (They will go on sale nationwide the following day.)

Re: This Day in Disney History

Time to play catch up. Sorry I haven't updated in a while!

June 24

1949:
    Disney's Pluto cartoon Bubble Bee is released.

1959:
    Disney's Darby O'Gill and the Little People premieres in Dublin, Ireland.

1977:
    Disney's Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo, starring Dean Jones and Don Knotts, is released.

1994:
    Disney's The Lion King is generally released in U.S. theaters. With award-winning music by Hans Zimmer, Elton John and Tim Rice, the film features the voices of Jonathan Taylor Thomas, Matthew Broderick, James Earl Jones, Jeremy Irons, Rowan Atkinson, Jim Cummings, and Nathan Lane.

1998:
    Jacqueline D'Ambrosi, a 9-year-old from Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey, becomes the 600-millionth person to walk through the turnstiles of the Magic Kingdom in Walt Disney World. With a click of the turnstile at 7:37 a.m., Jacqueline is immediately mobbed by Mickey Mouse and a cast of other Disney characters. She is awarded lifetime passes to the vast Florida amusement park, and to Disney's three other theme parks, for her and her family.

At Disneyland Paris, a number of parade and show cast members (mainly costumed roles) strike over pay and recognition. Their main concern is that they should be recognized as performing artists, rather than simply theme-park workers, resulting in substantially higher rates of pay. The strike impacts somewhat on parades, shows and character greeting sessions at the park.

2002:
    The June 24th issue of TIME includes an article on Disney's newest animated feature Lilo & Stitch.

June 25

1928:
    Disney's Oswald the Lucky Rabbit black & white silent short The Fox Chase is released.

1948:
    Disney's animated feature Dumbo is released in Denmark.

1966:
    Disney's live-action comedy feature film Lt. Robinson Crusoe, U.S.N. (starring Dick Van Dyke) is generally released in the U.S.

1967:
    A new version of the CircleVision 360 film America the Beautiful debuts in Disneyland. The film has been re-shot using the 9-camera CircleVision format (as opposed to the old 11-camera Circarama format).

1980:
    Disney's live-action films Herbie Goes Bananas (starring Cloris Leachman) and The Last Flight of Noah's Ark (starring Elliott Gould) are both released in the U.S.

1999:
    Mo Vaughn, the popular Anaheim Angels first baseman, along with boys and girls from the "Gene Autry RBI League," participate in a mini cavalcade and ceremony with the Dapper Dans on Main Street in Disneyland. The Dapper Dans lead the audience in "Take Me Out To The Ballgame."

June 26

1952:
    Disney's family adventure film The Story of Robin Hood and His Merrie Men (starring Richard Todd, Joan Rice, and Peter Finch) is released.

1956:
    At Disneyland, the Mule Pack (one of the park's original attractions) is renamed the Rainbow Ridge Pack Mules.

1957:
    Viewliner opens in Disneyland's Tomorrowland. Guests can take a ride on a streamlined train powered by an Oldsmobile V-8 "Rocket" engine.

1959:
    Disney's Donald Duck film Donald in Mathmagic Land is released as is the live-action feature film Darby O'Gill and the Little People.

1968:
    The Disney live-action film Never A Dull Moment (starring Dick Van Dyke and Edward G. Robinson) is released.

1989:
    Delta Dreamflight (an attraction that depicts the history of aviation) debuts at Walt Disney World's Tomorrowland.

1999:
    Disneyland hosts a two-day celebration honoring the Haunted Mansion's 30th Anniversary. On this evening, over 1000 guests witness a panel discussion at the Fantasyland Theater with some of the people who brought the mansion to life. The Dapper Dans (the park's popular singing group) materialize as the Hitchhiking Ghosts and the Grave Digger to sing a rendition of the attraction's theme song, "Grim Grinning Ghosts."

June 27

1930:
    Disney's Silly Symphony cartoon Arctic Antics is released. This is animator Ubi Iwerks' last cartoon at Disney as a director.

1936:
    A story conference for Snow White is held at the Disney Studio. Walt, Frank Churchill, Charles Philippi, Joe Grant, Bill Cottrell, Larry Morey, and Bob Kuwahara discuss the sequence in which the Huntsman, having taken Snow White into the woods, is supposed to kill her. Walt want to develop the scene in such a way that the Huntsman loses his nerve.

1952:
    Disney's Goofy short Teachers are People is released.

1979:
    Disney's The Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again, starring Tim Conway, Don Knotts, Tim Matheson, Harry Morgan and Ruth Buzzi, is released.

1985:
    Disney and MGM/UA sign a 31-page, 20-year agreement, giving Disney the exclusive rights to use most of the MGM/UA film studio's movies.

1986:
    Disney's Ruthless People, starring Danny De Vito, Bette Midler, Judge Reinhold, and Helen Slater, is released.

1991:
    Mickey's Mart (a Walt Disney World souvenir shop in Tomorowland) closes. It will later be known as Mickey's Star Traders.

1999:
    The two-day celebration to honor the 30th Anniversary of the Haunted Mansion continues at Disneyland.

June 28

1929:
    Disney's Mickey Mouse cartoon The Plow Boy is released. It is the first cartoon appearance of Clarabelle Cow and Horace Horsecollar.

1940:
    Disney's Pluto cartoon Bone Trouble is released. It is the first cartoon directed by Jack Kinney.

1988:
    The opening of Disney's Grand Floridian Resort ushers in an era of accelerated hotel building at Disney World, during which 10 new resort hotels have been added to date. It is the third Magic Kingdom monorail resort located on the beaches* of the Seven Seas Lagoon between the Polynesian Resort* and the Magic Kingdom. The luxurious Grand Floridian (the crown jewel of the Disney World resorts) is themed to be reminiscent of turn-of-the-century Florida.

1999:
    At Disneyland, the Main Street Window is dedicated to the former Chairman of the Walt Disney Attractions, Dick Nunis. (Receiving a window on Main Street is the highest honor any Cast Member can achieve.) Mr. Nunis and Mickey Mouse ride out from the gate beside the Mad Hatter in a little blue motorcar while the Disneyland Band plays Zip A Dee Do Dah.

2003:
    The world premiere of The Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl takes place at Disneyland.

June 29

1935:
    Disney's Silly Symphony cartoon Who Killed C ock Robin? is released.

The Dave Brubeck Quartet record tracks for a Disney-themed record album titled Dave Digs Disney. (The album is inspired by a Brubeck family visit to Disneyland.)

1966:
    Disney's live-action short film Run, Appaloosa, Run is generally released.

1974:
    At Disneyland, the America Sings attraction debuts in Tomorrowland's Carousel Theater. Sam the Eagle (voiced by Burl Ives) guides visitors through four big musical acts, each with a medley of period tunes. The attraction, featuring 115 Audio-Animatronics animal characters, replaces the General Electric Carousel of Progress .

2000:
    The renovated Chevron Autopia opens at Disneyland.

June 30

1931:
    Disney's Silly Symphony cartoon The Busy Beavers is released.

1939:
    Disney's Donald Duck short Sea Scouts is released.

1950:
    Disney's Goofy short Motor Mania is released.

1957:
    Jazz pianist Dave Brubeck and his trio finish up a 2-day recording session for a Disney themed record album to be called Dave Digs Disney. (For many years the Quartet had played various Disney tunes at live performances. During a Brubeck family trip to Disneyland, Dave suddenly realized he should gather them together into an album.)

1966:
    Cartoonist Carl Barks voluntarily retires after 3 decades of drawing Donald Duck comic books for Disney.

1978:
    Disney's The Cat from Outer Space, starring Ken Berry, Sandy Duncan, Harry Morgan, McLean Stevenson (making his film debut) and Roddy McDowell, is released.

1993:
    Disney acquires the independent film production house, Miramax Films. From the deal, Disney will gain the rights to Miramax's library of more than 200 films and agree to finance all future Miramax productions.

I will add more tomorrow and I'll catch up the tidbit thread too.

Enjoy,

BDK

July 1

1924:
    Disney's Alice Comedy Alice and the Dog Catcher (a silent black & white short that mixes live-action and animation) is released. The short features Virginia Davis as Alice.

1932:
    Walt Disney signs a merchandising arrangement with Herman Kay Kamen. This makes Kamen the sole representative for Walt's company.

1933:
    Disney's Mickey Mouse cartoon Mickey's Gala Premiere is released.

1959:
    Disney's Donald Duck film How to Have an Accident at Work
    is released.

1966:
    Primeval World debuts at Disneyland. Originally featured as part of the Ford Magic Skyway attraction for the 1964-1965 World's Fair, guests aboard the Disneyland Railroad travel through a dinorama featuring animatronic dinosaurs.

1975:
    At Walt Disney World, the WEDway PeopleMover, a futuristic way of shuttling people around Tomorrowland, opens. It is located at Rockettower Plaza, where passengers enter and exit onto a circular moving platform. The ride is based on Disneyland's PeopleMover.

1994:
    At Disney World's EPCOT park, Innoventions East and West open replacing the outdated CommuniCore with all new exhibits. Innoventions is a showcase of new products and ideas covering 100,000 square feet.

1996:
    At Walt Disney World, the last of the Epcot resorts planned around Crescent Lake, Disney's Boardwalk Inn, opens. The resort re-creates the vacation charm of the Mid-Atlantic coastal cottages of the 1930s. It is located on a small lake on the Epcot-Studio waterway, visible to and just across from the Yacht and Beach Club Resorts. The Boardwalk Villas (a Disney Vacation Club property) also opens on this day.

1997:
    The sound effects demonstration attraction ABC Sound Studio opens at the Disney-MGM Studios Park in Florida.

2002:
    The Atlantic seaboard-inspired Disney's Beach Club Villas opens in Florida.

July 2

1967:
    Disneyland's Rocket Jets, PeopleMover, and the General Electric Carousel of Progress all open in Tomorrowland. The Rocket Jets (a 12 two-person attraction) sits above the PeopleMover (a train of cars that transports guests around Tomorrowland) in the Tomorrowland plaza area.

1972:
    Although it has been up and ruinning since June 5, Walt Disney World's If You Had Wings attraction is formally unveiled during a dedication ceremony in Tomorrowland. Sponsored by Eastern Airlines (the official airline of the Disney resort) it will be the last Omnimover ride Disney will build for over ten years.

1986:
    Disney's animated film The Great Mouse Detective (based on the children's book series by Eve Titus, Basil of Baker Street) is released in U.S. theaters. The score is written by composer Henry Mancini who also collaborated on two of the three featured songs with lyricists Larry Grossman and Ellen Fitzhugh.

1993:
    Aladdin's Oasis opens in Disneyland's Adventureland.

1999:
    Actor and Disney legend Dick Van Dyke plays the Deagan Organ Chimes (a novelty musical instrument) with the Dapper Dans during a special barbershop performance at the Carnation Plaza Gardens Stage in Disneyland. The performance is part of a ceremony naming Disneyland's Main Street U.S.A. an Honorary Chapter of the Barbershop Society, with all the Dapper Dans, past and present, as founding member

July 3

1957:
    Disney's People & Places documentary Lapland is released.

1994:
    The Lion King soundtrack hits #1 on the Billboard chart, where it will stay for nine consecutive weeks.

1998:
    A second Innoventions debuts ... this time in Disneyland's Tomorrowland. Visitors climb aboard a carousel theater (once home to Carousel of Progress) to experience 5 different "pods" of technology. (The first Innoventions opened in Epcot.)

July 4

1927:
    Disney's Oswald the Lucky Rabbit film Trolley Troubles premieres at the Criterion Theatre in Los Angeles, California.

1956:
    Disneyland's Indian War Canoes attraction debuts in Critter Country.

1975:
    Disney's comedy feature The Apple Dumpling Gang, starring Tim Conway and Don Knotts, is released.

1979:
    The first baby is born at Disneyland, California. Six-pound, 10-ounce Teresa Salcedo is born to Rosa and Elias Salcedo on a bench behind Plaza Inn. (Mickey Mouse will later honor the Los Angeles family with a "Disneyland Birth Certificate No. 1.")

1987:
    Tokyo Disneyland's version of Big Thunder Mountain sends its first run-away mine train flying over the tracks in Westernland.

Over 87,000 guests visit Disneyland on this holiday (an all-time record up to this time).

1996:
    "Phase One" of Disney's newest Florida community, Celebration, has its grand opening.

1998:
    Many towns across Florida including Walt Disney World cancel firework celebrations due to risk of setting additional forest fires in that state's worst fire disaster in fifty years.

2000:
    At Walt Disney World, a giant 1 and a half-ton, 24 by 13 foot cherry cobbler (that resembles the Star-Spangled Banner)
    is dished out to guests.

2001:
    Disney's Electrical Parade returns to Anaheim, California, with nightly performances at Disney's California Adventure. Disney's Electrical Parade (formerly called the Main Street Electrical Parade) originated at Disneyland back in 1972.

2003:
    Walt Disney World guests are treated to a special edition of Fantasy in the Sky fireworks featuring patriotic music.

July 5

1971:
    Disney's live-action feature Napoleon and Samantha, starring Michael Douglas, Will Geer, Johnny Whitaker and Jodie Foster, is released.

1988:
    Epcot's Maelstrom at the Norway Pavilion opens to guests.

1989:
    Tokyo Disneyland welcomes its 70-millionth guest.

1998:
    Disney's Mickey Mouse cartoon compilation The Spirit of Mickey is released.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast