• Original Mice-Chatter

My cat the mouse orphaner-

So- my cat Tumbles has been deeply interested in the goings on in the kitchen- especially the cabinets. Once we did see a mouse in there but when it was not seen again we assumed they had moved on....well, at least moved to a new room. Recently I discovered they had eaten their way into my bag of flour

He has been interested lately again and spending alot of time in the kitchen-and I guess it paid off. Today my sons came home from school and found the freshly dead body of an adult mouse in the living room-

Augh!

I guess he is doing his job- my dear little cat-but I still feel for the little furry.

Turns out he killed a mommy mouse- because the next thing the boys found was a baby mouse hiding in the living room by the bookshelf-so they put in a container and gave it bread and water and tissue to hide in...and they are searching the house for more-

AUGH!!!

I can't just throw him out in the freezing cold- so he will be boarding with us for a while. Figure I will let him free in the spring- might have to pop for a small rodent home for him though.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: My cat the mouse orphaner-

Time to dig out the old hamster cage.

• Original Mice-Chatter

Bought a new little critter carrier for him- got some mouse food, put food and water in small lids and gave him a washcloth to hide in. He may become a pet-no way am I going to put him outside.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I think he's definatly more safer with you Nephy than anything else .

• For old time sake

eeek, call animal control....those things carry rabies.

Time to praise the cat for the nice gift of a mouse. As sad as it is, it's a gift from the little furball.
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• Original Mice-Chatter

I am not worried about one tiny baby mouse-certainly not enough to call animal control.

• Original Mice-Chatter

..according to the CDC mice do not carry rabies-

3. Q: What is the risk of rabies from squirrels, mice, rats, and other rodents?

A:
    Small rodents (such as squirrels, rats, mice, hamsters, guinea pigs, gerbils, and chipmunks, ) and lagomorphs (such as rabbits and hares) are almost never found to be infected with rabies and have not been known to cause rabies among humans in the United States. Bites by these animals are usually not considered a risk of rabies unless the animal was sick or behaving in any unusual manner and rabies is widespread in your area. However, from 1985 through 1994, woodchucks accounted for 86% of the 368 cases of rabies among rodents reported to CDC. Woodchucks or groundhogs (Marmota monax) are the only rodents that may be frequently submitted to state health department because of a suspicion of rabies. In all cases involving rodents, the state or local health department should be consulted before a decision is made to initiate postexposure prophylaxis (PEP).
    CDC site

I'll worry when I get an orphaned groundhog

• Circle of Ancients

What a cute little mousie.

Our cat had a habit of bringing in baby mouses when we first moved into our house.

Now, she's so fat she couldn't catch a dead mouse.

• Original Mice-Chatter

well- where there is one- there are more.
    Last night- after consigning the dead mouse to the garage, the baby mouse to the cage- we heard uproar in the house. R came out and saw a mouse run into our recliner- the cats (both of them) hard on it's heels.
    We shut the cats up and searched the chair for the mouse- found him and tried to catch him- no go- after several attempts we flushed him out of the back of the chair- he landed on MY NOSE and bolted-
    Next stop- the entertainment cabinet- we blocked the exits and tried to drive him out. But he vanished again! We lifted the whole thing- no mouse.
    He was next seen between the couch and a large potted ivy. Once again we thought we had him- but this time he vanished into thin air.
    So we put all the furniture back (after tearing up the whole room)- put out two live traps- let the cats out and went to bed- it was after 1am.
    The mouse has been dubbed Houdini-little stinker. When a tiny mouse outwits 4 grown people (me, R and the boys) it is time to quit-
    Baby mouse is doing well- eating his food and staying warm

• Circle of Ancients

LOL!!!! That sounds HILARIOUS.

Do us all a favor ... when you start looking for him again, use only 3 people to look and 1 to videotape.

You could be throwing away a fortune on America's Funniest Home Videos.

• Original Mice-Chatter

...and then there were two.
    I am sitting here working on bills and I see the cat walk in- with something in his mouth. I realized quickly it was small, brown and still moving!
    We grabbed the cat and managed to catch the little guy- another small one like the first. Dazed and might have a hurt foot, going to watch that.....make sure he is ok.
    (great Ian just dropped one-recatching now-phew-recaught)
    I am more convinced than ever that they need to be freed- soon. The boys are interested in getting rodent pets now- but I think rats would be better choices than mice.

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

I always keel them. They carry hanta virus.
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    This device kills fascists.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Awwww.... cute mousey!

When I was in high school, one of the janitors caught a mouse. We got it a hamster cage and it became the class pet for us on the yearbook staff. He was the sweetest little thing. I spent more time playing with him than working on the yearbook!

• Say no to Assimilation

MY! What big hands you have!

Quote Originally Posted by Nephythys View Post
    Bought a new little critter carrier for him- got some mouse food, put food and water in small lids and gave him a washcloth to hide in. He may become a pet-no way am I going to put him outside.

"He who knows only his own side of the case, knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them. But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side; if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion" --John Stuart Mill

• Original Mice-Chatter

Heh- it's my son Braden holding the mouse- he's 15.

I can't kill them- they will either be freed or they will live their lives in a cage-