•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Paying for College?

Ahhhh, okay.
    I'm trying to figure out how to get myself of of my little, not so good job rut here. The best thing it seems to do is to go back to school (while, unfortunately, still working my FT job. Or A job, I dunno how long this will last). Taking the long way around!

Other than actually getting in (though I'm sure the one I graduated from would take me back at least) the biggest issue is paying. I could probably save to afford a couple classes, but tuition and all will kill me.

I really really don't want to take on any more loans. I'm up to my ears in debt from my first degree. So the only options seem to be grants and scholarships...

How would I go about seeing if I was eligible for any of them? And how does it work, like, do I have to get accepted into a school then apply? Would anyone even give them to some non-traditionally aged college student getting a second degree?

I am absolutely clueless here!!
    Any help would put you on my good list for life
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• For old time sake

Re: Paying for College?

NNL, look into grants.....you'd have to file soon for the fall semester, but you do not have to pay grants back.
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• Brrr...its cold out there

Does your current job offer Tuition Assistance for any classes ? That would be great if that was an option too, it might help with some of the expenses.

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

You have to be accepted to a school before you can get any money. You have to fill out the FAFSA once you are accepted and grants are first come, first serve. If you already have a degree, you won't get approved for much in the way of loans or grants anyways unfortunately.

Best thing to do is decide where you want to go and then they should help you figure out the financing end of it. Good luck!
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brerrbit1 View Post
    Does your current job offer Tuition Assistance for any classes ? That would be great if that was an option too, it might help with some of the expenses.
    They do, but only if it'll advance your career or some such... And I'm not sure how to mesh children with the Internetz. When I was considering grad school, I could have a chance, but not anymore!

Is there a good place to find grants? A good Web site or something? So I do that before applying? I will apply soon - I know the dates and all for where I want to try - I just wasn't sure what order to do stuff!!

Ah, the FASFA! I remember that
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain

• Brrr...its cold out there

The financial aid office at the school you are wanting to go to should have alot of good information for you. At least that is what they have up here.

• Circle of Ancients

I think everyone so far has given you good advice. Personally I wouldn't look online. I would go directly to the school you are interested in at the Administrations office and get all the information you can on applying for a grant or scholarship.

And also, talk to people around the school or even at work who might help you out.

That's what my daughter did when she applied for an academic scholarship at CSFU. She talked to counselor's and also talked to people in her major that helped her out. My daughter also belongs in clubs at the college that's a requirement for her scholarship. She loves it because not only she gets a few free meals but a lot of information.

I think it's great you want to continue your education I wish you the best of luck!

• white and nerdy

Grants grants and grants.

I payed for the first two years of school from money I raised as a teenager working on a farm. Now I use grants, and it's all good.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

NNL - If you're feeling a bit under the gun to get things in by the Fall, consider a community college if there are one or two hundred level classes needed for your degree...i.e. accounting, economics, etc. You could get quite a few of those classes out of the way and transfer after you have been accepted and grants come through. Most community colleges are around $20.00 a unit, so you could save your $$$ while you are waiting for some financial assistance.

• Directly directed

Fill out your FASFA NOW. The earlier it gets in the more money there is to give out. Buy your books on Amazon or Barnes and Noble. Don't use half.com because, while cheaper, if they send you the wrong book (which they will) you can't return it and then you have to spend more money to buy the right book. Like localdisneyfan said, try a community college first if possible. Good luck!

• Never Look Back

Quote Originally Posted by Disneykat View Post
    NNL, look into grants.....you'd have to file soon for the fall semester, but you do not have to pay grants back.
    What Katie said...

Otherwise go to your school of choice, and visit the financial aid office. They are usually more than willing to help find a way to assist you. Good Luck...

P.S. BTW...going back to school? This is news to me...

also, look into www.fastweb.com for scholarships. There are scholarships reserved only for returning students, grad students, etc. Just give them the info they request and they'll list scholarships for which you're eligible.

• All you need is LOVE

I would go the school and speak to them good luck

•   
      MiceChat Moderator

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maseca View Post
    What Katie said...

Otherwise go to your school of choice, and visit the financial aid office. They are usually more than willing to help find a way to assist you. Good Luck...

P.S. BTW...going back to school? This is news to me...
    And here you thought you knew everything about me!!
    (ok, you actually know pretty much everything about me All the juicy stuff, at least! )
    But I DO know I told you this! At the Lost Bar, when we were at the table... I mentioned it. I know I did.

Quote Originally Posted by fairygoodmother View Post
    also, look into www.fastweb.com for scholarships. There are scholarships reserved only for returning students, grad students, etc. Just give them the info they request and they'll list scholarships for which you're eligible.
    Thanks for the site!!!

I wil go fill out my FASFA (can I do it online?). And e-mail the schools tomorrow - at least the one that's out of state.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain

• Directly directed

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post

I wil go fill out my FASFA (can I do it online?). And e-mail the schools tomorrow - at least the one that's out of state.
    Yep. FASFA.com. Get started ASAP because you have to get a PIN first and that takes 2-3 days. And you need that before you can fill out the FASFA stuff.