Thread: Lucid Dreaming

• :)

Lucid Dreaming

So I've been reading about this lately and it sounds really cool and apprently you can learn to do so...

Lucid Dreaming -
    Lucid dreaming means dreaming while knowing that you are dreaming. The term was coined by Frederik van Eeden who used the word "lucid" in the sense of mental clarity. Lucidity usually begins in the midst of a dream when the dreamer realizes that the experience is not occurring in physical reality, but is a dream. Often this realization is triggered by the dreamer noticing some impossible or unlikely occurrence in the dream, such as flying or meeting the deceased. Sometimes people become lucid without noticing any particular clue in the dream; they just suddenly realize they are in a dream. A minority of lucid dreams (according to the research of LaBerge and colleagues, about 10 percent) are the result of returning to REM (dreaming) sleep directly from an awakening with unbroken reflective consciousness.
    The basic definition of lucid dreaming requires nothing more than becoming aware that you are dreaming. However, the quality of lucidity can vary greatly. When lucidity is at a high level, you are aware that everything experienced in the dream is occurring in your mind, that there is no real danger, and that you are asleep in bed and will awaken shortly. With low-level lucidity you may be aware to a certain extent that you are dreaming, perhaps enough to fly or alter what you are doing, but not enough to realize that the people are dream representations, or that you can suffer no physical damage, or that you are actually in bed.
    (From http://www.lucidity.com/LucidDreamingFAQ2.html#LD)

It teaches you how to adapt this and what not...and seems really useful, such as overcoming freightnesses, etc... anybody familiar with this technique and style of dreaming? I never knew that you could actually become awake durring your dream and do whatever you want

If you've had one of these please explain your experience and what not...It's really cool and interesting, thanks!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Re: Lucid Dreaming

I'm familiar with this phenomenon, though I admit to little study in the area. Occasionally, one can have a "lucid dream" without trying. I still vividly remember a dream some years ago when I suddenly became aware that I was dreaming and what I was experiencing was not real. I immediately picked up a brick and heaved into a plate glass window! WOW! That was fun... and I knew I wasn't going to get into any trouble. I would just wake up and that was that!

I haven't had a "lucid dream" since then.

"Oh, the places we could go!"

I once knew a person who was having a terrible time with the fact that she was (at least in her mind) not too successful at romance. She was seeing a therapist who was teaching her a technique for lucid dreaming. I guess the idea was: If she couldn't get a boyfriend in real life... she could dream one up and have a great time!
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• :)

Yeah it sounds really cool...I was reading "experiences" of Lucidity on this site and people go on to explain that they we're doing things rediculous and just having fun, messing around, doing crazy things....It teaches you how to have one, is it worth reading and learning how to do?

• Shablagoo!

I have lucid dreams quite often. I can't really explain why, but I have been able to take over the dream on many occasions. One of my favorites was when I had a bookbag stolen by a guy and he drives off. At that moment I took over and teleported to his car. While sitting in the passenger seat I explained to him that I did not care that he took my bag because it was a dream and when I wake up he will cease to exist in any form. Then I woke up. That'll teach those pesky dream people to steal my stuff!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

I haven't had these dreams too often, but I love it when I do. In one of my recent dreams, I remember thinking "If this is a dream, I can do anything." And I've always wanted to fly. So I did. Probably not too long, but very much like Nathan Petrelli in "Heroes." I had tried to fly several times in dreams before, but this time I really took off and it was amazing.