Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• e komo mai

Angry Family Stickers for Your Car - A Word of Advice

Okay, I'm not a parent but I have a word of advice to all the parents on this board.

My father was a policeman for 33 years and the way he saw the potential for something bad to happen rubbed off on me.

On cars all throughout the Mickey and Friends parking structure and all around town I see these stickers people put on their SUVs, cars and vans of stick figures representing family members. You know what I'm talking about here's a picture:

I have nothing against these stickers, they're cute.

But for the love of Benji, don't freakin' advertise your kids names under the character that represents them. I mean, all a freak would have to do is call that kid by his/her name one day as he/she is walking home from school and bam the kids think this is someone that knows them. A ride in the freak's car and you never see your kid again.

AND don't go and display your last names either. A sticker that says "We're the Johnsons!" is just asking for trouble. All a freak would have to do is say, 'Hey there Princess, aren't you Mr. and Mrs. Johnson's girl?' Now the girl thinks a family friend is going to drive her home from school.

Don't open yourself up to bad stuff happening.

My dad also told me that putting kids names on backpacks or on the backs of jackets etc is also just not a good idea.

Just a word of advice from a cricket. I saw three cars today with those stickers with names under them. It's just not a good idea.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Re: Family Stickers for Your Car - A Word of Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Cricket View Post
    Okay, I'm not a parent but I have a word of advice to all the parents on this board.

My father was a policeman for 33 years and the way he saw the potential for something bad to happen rubbed off on me.

On cars all throughout the Mickey and Friends parking structure and all around town I see these stickers people put on their SUVs, cars and vans of stick figures representing family members. You know what I'm talking about here's a picture:

I have nothing against these stickers, they're cute.

But for the love of Benji, don't freakin' advertise your kids names under the character that represents them. I mean, all a freak would have to do is call that kid by his/her name one day as he/she is walking home from school and bam the kids think this is someone that knows them. A ride in the freak's car and you never see your kid again.

AND don't go and display your last names either. A sticker that says "We're the Johnsons!" is just asking for trouble. All a freak would have to do is say, 'Hey there Princess, aren't you Mr. and Mrs. Johnson's girl?' Now the girl thinks a family friend is going to drive her home from school.

Don't open yourself up to bad stuff happening.

My dad also told me that putting kids names on backpacks or on the backs of jackets etc is also just not a good idea.

Just a word of advice from a cricket. I saw three cars today with those stickers with names under them. It's just not a good idea.

GeminiCricket - I wholeheartedly agree. I see those around town and every place and think it is unwise to advertise the children's names on them. It's just crying out for some nut to come and call the child by name whom the child doesn't know.

They can do the same sticker idea w/o names - wife and I found some "Feet" stickers like Hang 10 and we were going to put those on our car w/o names.

Anyway - excellent point made here! Right on.

• Comin' at ya!

I thought they were just generic names
    "Pain is temporary, Film is Forever..."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyDude

• A Pirate's life for me!

We've seen other styles of stickers...Stickmen, cowboy hats, surf boards, feet...

We have the ultimate stickers on my wife's van...The Disney ones!

Each character is wearing Mickey Ears!

We got them at the Autopia store during one of our trips at Christmas time.

And I agree...Names are a bad idea.

• GO DBACKS!!

You also don't want to put your last name anywhere on your house. Someone could look up your name in the phone book and call to check when you are home or away.

It wasn't me, it was Lisa!

•   
    • Prefect

Blog Entries

I agree GC. I think they're cute, too, but it really could end up badly if that info. gets into the wrong hands.

Earkid- That's good advice as well.

It's really a shame that we have to assume that everyone is a "bad" guy. Of course, the majority of people wouldn't do anything to hurt us, but you never know who's going to be that one to do something awful.
    <o>

• no flash photography...

I agree ..I always wondered why people advertised their kids names...crazy...

• Clearing my Calendar

When I was a kid, because it was such a small town and everyone practically knew everyone's name, my parents and I had a password system so if I was ever approached by an adult saying my Mom asked if they would pick me up, I could ask the three prerequisite questions. If they didn't answer correctly, I was to scream for help. Furthermore, we actually stuck to it!

I can remember ruthlessly grilling a parent (that I already knew well!) in my Girl Scout troop before I'd let her take me home! What a sight that must have been!

Her: But Tracey, you stayed at my house last Friday! And went to Linsday's birthday party the Saturday before that! And had dinner with us two weeks before that!

Me: Sooo?? What's the answer to the question???

She did know them though.
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

• Incognito

Blog Entries

It's kinda like you're advertising how fertile you are. And that you have dogs.

Really, we as the general driving public, don't care that you are married and have 12 kids and a dog named Sparky.

I mean, do you seriously see those stickers on the back of a Toyota Sienna and go "Oh look honey they have 4 kids, that's great". I just do this

Silly breeders

It's kinda like when those "baby on board" window placards came out in the mid 80's. So am I suppose to drive differently because you have a kid in your car? "I think I'll cut this car off. OH WAIT they have one of those stickers in their back windows warning me they have a child on board. OK, I'll cut the next car off, they just have a "I <heart> Jalisco" bumper sticker".

• no flash photography...

another thing I don't understand is the advertising of deaths on the cars. Why is this done? I understand the loss is awful and a very painful thing to got through, but why put it on the car?

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Really, we as the general driving public, don't care that you are married and have 12 kids and a dog named Sparky.
    Could not have said it better myself. Those stickers really annoy the bejebus out of me.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

GREAT advice!!!!!!

• Just Me

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    another thing I don't understand is the advertising of deaths on the cars. Why is this done? I understand the loss is awful and a very painful thing to got through, but why put it on the car?

I have seen more and more of this. Not all, but most of it that I have seen around town are banger's cars. It is also predominatly done by 1 race.

As for the stick figures, the first time I saw them I thought they were cute. Now they are everywhere, but mostly on oversized SUVs. Too trendy to be cute.

• Life is Great!

I agree GC! I saw a good one recently, it had 4 boys on one side that said his and 4 girls on the other side that said hers, then 2 cats and 2 dogs in the middle that said ours. my first thought was thats a houseful, then I thought how smart to use the stickers but no names!!
    MCDA - A Healthier, Happier Me!

• e komo mai

"And if it ever becomes popular to put your social security number on the back of your car... don't do it." (That one's not mine. Dustysage told me that one tonight. I thought it was funny.)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast