Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 49
  1. #1

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    17,659
    Blog Entries
    10

    Is Literature/Writing Overlooked in Schools?

    Here is my question. Many schools think it is top priority to just focus on teaching Math and Science to the students. But what about literature and writing? It seems to me that many schools are giving them the boot without realizing how vital they really are! Individuals cannot do much academically and careeer-wise without knowing how to read and write. Reading helps develop the imagination, it helps us visualize things in our minds, and it helps us understand things better. Writing helps provide us with good communication skills and so much more.

    So why does it seem that many schools focus on reading and writing like they do with math and science? I think Reading and writing is the base that everything else, such as Science and math, branches off of.

    I brought this topic up with my Math teacher yesterday and she agreed with me. She also believes that the reason this is happening is because schools are primarily focusing on the CAT tests.

    So what are your opinions?

    PS: I know Science and Math are very important, I just think schools need to better educate their students on Science, Math, Reading, & Writing. What happened to the three R's?

  2. #2

    • MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Cartoon Wasteland
    Posts
    4,828
    Blog Entries
    68

    Re: Is Literature/Writing Overlooked in Schools?

    We all aren't destined to be rocket scientists, but we all need to be able to communicate and be understood our entire lives. I say hooray for reading and writing in schools!

    That said, there are many who post on MC and other message boards who could polish up their writing/composition skills, to say the least. You don't have to always use ideal grammar and spell every word perfectly (even F. Scott Fitzgerald was a poor speller), but PLEASE make the effort.

    I know this is a well worn rant, but it always bears repeating.

  3. #3

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    17,659
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Is Literature/Writing Overlooked in Schools?

    I agree DisneyTim. I am also bad at spelling, but always take the time to correct my mistakes. I wish others would do that too .

  4. #4

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    17,659
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Is Literature/Writing Overlooked in Schools?

    I want to know what the general public thinks about this, so I'm going to bump it out of the Journalists club and onto the main forum .

  5. #5

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,365

    Re: Is Literature/Writing Overlooked in Schools?

    The American school system is all crap. I'm so glad I got some education over in England because Europe and the Asian countries have much better schooling.

  6. #6

    • That Guy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Wizard Sleeve
    Posts
    4,572

    Re: Is Literature/Writing Overlooked in Schools?

    Quote Originally Posted by EagleWings View Post
    The American school system is all crap. I'm so glad I got some education over in England because Europe and the Asian countries have much better schooling.

    I'm sure all the education professionals in the U.S. thank you.

    Glad you were able to escape the tyranny.




  7. #7

    •   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Busy at the donut store
    Posts
    6,876
    Blog Entries
    41

    Re: Is Literature/Writing Overlooked in Schools?

    At the elementary level, at least here in CA, it's all about the language arts. It's language arts, math, and whatever else you can squeeze into the day.

    I'm a reading teacher, btw.
    A signature should go here.

  8. #8

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,365

    Re: Is Literature/Writing Overlooked in Schools?

    Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer View Post
    I'm sure all the education professionals in the U.S. thank you.

    Glad you were able to escape the tyranny.
    Not tyranny just stupidity. I felt that they didn't teach enough about certain things. They also put more emphasis on attendance then anything else which is just stupid.

  9. #9

    • Fastest Man Alive
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,658

    Re: Is Literature/Writing Overlooked in Schools?

    Writing skills should be enforced. So many kids can't write a meaningful sentence to save their life. Too much IMs and Text Messages and chats have degraded the english language.

  10. #10

    • That Guy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Wizard Sleeve
    Posts
    4,572

    Re: Is Literature/Writing Overlooked in Schools?

    Quote Originally Posted by EagleWings View Post
    Not tyranny just stupidity. I felt that they didn't teach enough about certain things. They also put more emphasis on attendance then anything else which is just stupid.

    I can appreciate that, but that is why there are libraries, so people who wish to increase their knowledge base about any subject, can do so.

    Also, the reason attendance is so important (or stupid, as you say) is because it does not matter how great the education is at the school, if butts are not in seats, there is no education happening. Get it?




  11. #11

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    688

    Re: Is Literature/Writing Overlooked in Schools?

    I have a 9 year old in the public school system. Reading has been the focus since kindergarten and his school even has a reading room for those that need extra help. They use a program called Accelerated Reading where they choose a book at their level, read it, and then take a test on the computer designed to gage their level of retention and understanding. The books are worth varying points and the child earns points towards a goal. My guy for example had a goal of 20 points (the average book he reads is worth 1 point and he earns .1 point for every question he answers correctly on the test). He has passed he goal and still has 2 weeks in the period. Writing has also been an area of focus. They have been consistently taught to have a topic sentence (green) and supporting statements (yellow). In the first grade they needed a green and two yellow. Now they need the green, 4 yellow, and a conclusion. They write together as a class and as individuals. Math and science are handled much the same way. I was happy to see that art and music were still a part of the program.
    Last edited by Simply Mad; 03-01-2007 at 05:25 PM. Reason: forgot an "s"

  12. #12

    • That Guy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Wizard Sleeve
    Posts
    4,572

    Re: Is Literature/Writing Overlooked in Schools?

    It would be good to increase time spent on all academic areas.

    One thing to keep in mind, is that not all high school kids will participate in higher education, so they schools are trying to cram a ton of info, prior to cutting them loose. Additionally, many schools are now charged with teaching character education, life skills, etc.

    Those that go to college, trade school, etc. will receive additional training in reading/writing, etc.

    I took six English/Writing courses during my seven years of college. I can still mess up a sentence with the best of them, but what can you do?




  13. #13

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,365

    Re: Is Literature/Writing Overlooked in Schools?

    Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer View Post
    I can appreciate that, but that is why there are libraries, so people who wish to increase their knowledge base about any subject, can do so.

    Also, the reason attendance is so important (or stupid, as you say) is because it does not matter how great the education is at the school, if butts are not in seats, there is no education happening. Get it?
    Yes I get it I'm not stupid thanks. I'd rather learn in school than have to do it outside of school though thus why I moved to England had a much better education with more intelligent kids.

  14. #14

    • That Guy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Wizard Sleeve
    Posts
    4,572

    Re: Is Literature/Writing Overlooked in Schools?

    Quote Originally Posted by EagleWings View Post
    Yes I get it I'm not stupid thanks. I'd rather learn in school than have to do it outside of school though thus why I moved to England had a much better education with more intelligent kids.

    I don't think you are stupid at all, which is why I never wrote that.

    The reality is that learning does not stop when the last bell rings. That just doesn't cut it. If that is the case, then there would be no homework, and college would consist of arts and crafts projects all day.

    Also, what statistics are you using to come up with your generalizations?




  15. #15

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Chickapin Hill
    Posts
    10,907
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Is Literature/Writing Overlooked in Schools?

    In New York, where I teach, a lot of the other subjects' standardized tests require a writing component, which forces students to elaborate on their processes and answers in writing.

    As for writing and literature, as an English teacher, I try my best to teach writing and literature.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!










Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Review] The Land's Literature
    By dizzneeland in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-23-2008, 03:44 PM
  2. Overlooked Animated Disney Classics
    By nathan detroit in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 07-20-2008, 10:17 AM
  3. La Nouba Overlooked?
    By StrongStyle in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-06-2006, 02:29 PM
  4. Schools out!!
    By migitmouse88 in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-21-2005, 11:15 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •