Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Is Literature/Writing Overlooked in Schools?

Here is my question. Many schools think it is top priority to just focus on teaching Math and Science to the students. But what about literature and writing? It seems to me that many schools are giving them the boot without realizing how vital they really are! Individuals cannot do much academically and careeer-wise without knowing how to read and write. Reading helps develop the imagination, it helps us visualize things in our minds, and it helps us understand things better. Writing helps provide us with good communication skills and so much more.

So why does it seem that many schools focus on reading and writing like they do with math and science? I think Reading and writing is the base that everything else, such as Science and math, branches off of.

I brought this topic up with my Math teacher yesterday and she agreed with me. She also believes that the reason this is happening is because schools are primarily focusing on the CAT tests.

So what are your opinions?

PS: I know Science and Math are very important, I just think schools need to better educate their students on Science, Math, Reading, & Writing. What happened to the three R's?

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Re: Is Literature/Writing Overlooked in Schools?

We all aren't destined to be rocket scientists, but we all need to be able to communicate and be understood our entire lives. I say hooray for reading and writing in schools!

That said, there are many who post on MC and other message boards who could polish up their writing/composition skills, to say the least. You don't have to always use ideal grammar and spell every word perfectly (even F. Scott Fitzgerald was a poor speller), but PLEASE make the effort.

I know this is a well worn rant, but it always bears repeating.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I agree DisneyTim. I am also bad at spelling, but always take the time to correct my mistakes. I wish others would do that too .

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I want to know what the general public thinks about this, so I'm going to bump it out of the Journalists club and onto the main forum .

• Banned User

The American school system is all crap. I'm so glad I got some education over in England because Europe and the Asian countries have much better schooling.

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by EagleWings View Post
    The American school system is all crap. I'm so glad I got some education over in England because Europe and the Asian countries have much better schooling.

I'm sure all the education professionals in the U.S. thank you.

Glad you were able to escape the tyranny.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

At the elementary level, at least here in CA, it's all about the language arts. It's language arts, math, and whatever else you can squeeze into the day.

I'm a reading teacher, btw.
    A signature should go here.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer View Post
    I'm sure all the education professionals in the U.S. thank you.

Glad you were able to escape the tyranny.
    Not tyranny just stupidity. I felt that they didn't teach enough about certain things. They also put more emphasis on attendance then anything else which is just stupid.

• Fastest Man Alive

Writing skills should be enforced. So many kids can't write a meaningful sentence to save their life. Too much IMs and Text Messages and chats have degraded the english language.

• That Guy

Not tyranny just stupidity. I felt that they didn't teach enough about certain things. They also put more emphasis on attendance then anything else which is just stupid.

I can appreciate that, but that is why there are libraries, so people who wish to increase their knowledge base about any subject, can do so.

Also, the reason attendance is so important (or stupid, as you say) is because it does not matter how great the education is at the school, if butts are not in seats, there is no education happening. Get it?

I have a 9 year old in the public school system. Reading has been the focus since kindergarten and his school even has a reading room for those that need extra help. They use a program called Accelerated Reading where they choose a book at their level, read it, and then take a test on the computer designed to gage their level of retention and understanding. The books are worth varying points and the child earns points towards a goal. My guy for example had a goal of 20 points (the average book he reads is worth 1 point and he earns .1 point for every question he answers correctly on the test). He has passed he goal and still has 2 weeks in the period. Writing has also been an area of focus. They have been consistently taught to have a topic sentence (green) and supporting statements (yellow). In the first grade they needed a green and two yellow. Now they need the green, 4 yellow, and a conclusion. They write together as a class and as individuals. Math and science are handled much the same way. I was happy to see that art and music were still a part of the program.
    Last edited by Simply Mad; 03-01-2007 at 05:25 PM. Reason: forgot an "s"

• That Guy

It would be good to increase time spent on all academic areas.

One thing to keep in mind, is that not all high school kids will participate in higher education, so they schools are trying to cram a ton of info, prior to cutting them loose. Additionally, many schools are now charged with teaching character education, life skills, etc.

Those that go to college, trade school, etc. will receive additional training in reading/writing, etc.

I took six English/Writing courses during my seven years of college. I can still mess up a sentence with the best of them, but what can you do?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer View Post
    I can appreciate that, but that is why there are libraries, so people who wish to increase their knowledge base about any subject, can do so.

Also, the reason attendance is so important (or stupid, as you say) is because it does not matter how great the education is at the school, if butts are not in seats, there is no education happening. Get it?
    Yes I get it I'm not stupid thanks. I'd rather learn in school than have to do it outside of school though thus why I moved to England had a much better education with more intelligent kids.

• That Guy

Yes I get it I'm not stupid thanks. I'd rather learn in school than have to do it outside of school though thus why I moved to England had a much better education with more intelligent kids.

I don't think you are stupid at all, which is why I never wrote that.

The reality is that learning does not stop when the last bell rings. That just doesn't cut it. If that is the case, then there would be no homework, and college would consist of arts and crafts projects all day.

Also, what statistics are you using to come up with your generalizations?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

In New York, where I teach, a lot of the other subjects' standardized tests require a writing component, which forces students to elaborate on their processes and answers in writing.

As for writing and literature, as an English teacher, I try my best to teach writing and literature.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast