Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cell phone tips

• Banned User

Cell phone tips

There are a few things that can be done in times of grave emergencies. Your mobile phone can actually be a life saver or an emergency tool for survival. Check out the things that you can do with it:

FIRST
    Subject: Emergency

The Emergency Number worldwide for Mobile is 112. If you find yourself out of the coverage area of your mobile; network and there is an emergency, dial 112 and the mobile will search any existing network to establish the emergency number for you, and interestingly this number 112 can be dialed even if the keypad is locked. Try it out.

SECOND
    Subject: Have you locked your keys in the car?

Does your car have remote keyless entry? This may come in handy someday. Good reason to own a cell phone: If you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys are at home, call someone at home on their cell phone from your cell phone. Hold your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the person at your home press the unlock button, holding it near the mobile phone on their end. Your car will unlock. Saves someone from having to drive your keys to you. Distance is no object. You could be hundreds of miles away, and if you can reach someone who has the other "remote" for your car, you can unlock the doors (or the trunk).

Editor's Note:
    It works fine! We tried it out and it unlocked our car over a cell phone!"

THIRD
    Subject: Hidden Battery Power

Imagine your cell battery is very low. To activate, press keys *3370# Your cell will restart with this reserve and the instrument will show a 50% increase in battery. This reserve will get charged when you charge your cell next time.

FOURTH
    Subject: How to disable a STOLEN mobile phone?

To check your Mobile phone's serial number, key in the following digits on your phone: * # 0 6 #. A 15 digit code will appear on the screen. This number is unique to your handset. Write it down and keep it somewhere safe. When your phone get stolen, you can phone your service provider and give them this code. They will then be able to block your handset so even if the thief changes the SIM card, your phone will be totally useless. You probably won't get your phone back, but at least you know that whoever stole it can't use/sell it either. If everybody does this, there would be no point in people stealing mobile phones.
    And Finally....

FIFTH
    Cell phone companies are charging us $1.00 to $1.75 or more for 411 information calls when they don't have to. Most of us do not carry a telephone directory in our vehicle, which makes this situation even more of a problem. When you need to use the 411 information option, simply dial: (800) FREE 411, or (800) 373-3411 without incurring any charge at all. Program this into your cell phone now.

• Minion

Re: Cell phone tips

The third and fourth dont work for me

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by pveticket View Post
    The third and fourth dont work for me
    Its probably for certain cell phones.

I've tried the key locking through the phone beore and that works. I just tried it this morning.

My brother went downtown. He locked his keys in his car on purpose and i clicked it thrugh the phone.

• Princess of my own world

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/cellphones.asp

Check this out. This one tells you which ones actually work.
    Visit my blog: Shutters & Scribbles

Check out my class's Donors Choose page:
    Wildcat Projects
    **Donors Choose is a place where teachers post projects for their classes and request materials and/or technology for that project. People then can make donations starting at just $1 to help fund that project. This is a great way to support teachers and their classes!**

• That Guy

This is crap.

Usually urban legends are just dumb topics, that are good for a laugh. This one is a bit different in that it is giving out 'Emergency' advice on how to reach help. By posting this, there is a bit of responsibility to at least check to see if the information is accurate. I would hate to see someone here try one of these 'tricks' in the event of an emergency, and have a very bad outcome as a result of believing this garbage.

SNOPES helps prevent this.

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by barfownz View Post
    Its probably for certain cell phones.

I've tried the key locking through the phone beore and that works. I just tried it this morning.

My brother went downtown. He locked his keys in his car on purpose and i clicked it thrugh the phone.

You must have a magic phone and car, as this cannot work.

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

Here is what Snopes has to say about all this:

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/cellphones.asp

• Hola!

ya. How in the world would transmitting a signal with a different frequency than a phone through phone to unlock a car work?

• Clearing my Calendar

It works for us too.

We heard about this months ago. I went down (didn't purposefully lock my keys inside though... that's a little unnecessary) and Bryan pressed the clicker to his phone as I held my phone out near the door. It unlocked!

About a month after that I got a flat. I called AAA and the guy who came out was very nice. We started talking about cars and technology. He mentioned some very interesting things about car companies and how they can shut down your car and stuff. He said it was on a similar frequency to cell phones. I asked him if he had heard about the cell phone unlocking the door thing. He said he had and that he loved it because he's actually helped people who have called AAA because they locked their keys in. He said it works on the same concept that your voice carries. Your voice is information, just as the clickers are information.

So there.
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TraceCub View Post
    It works for us too.

We heard about this months ago. I went down (didn't purposefully lock my keys inside though... that's a little unnecessary) and Bryan pressed the clicker to his phone as I held my phone out near the door. It unlocked!

About a month after that I got a flat. I called AAA and the guy who came out was very nice. We started talking about cars and technology. He mentioned some very interesting things about car companies and how they can shut down your car and stuff. He said it was on a similar frequency to cell phones. I asked him if he had heard about the cell phone unlocking the door thing. He said he had and that he loved it because he's actually helped people who have called AAA because they locked their keys in. He said it works on the same concept that your voice carries. Your voice is information, just as the clickers are information.

So there.

it did work for me also. Back then, My brother had a Nokia phone and I had a Motorola.

Thanks for confirming.

• Clearing my Calendar

Welcome.
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

• Bring Me Two Piña Coladas

I don't believe that works, first off you would want to hold the cell phone near your cars cpu since thats what receives the signal not the actual lock.

In a sense, its like sending the remote frequency on a carrier frequency ie the signal, if the signal is decoded properly then it can work, but it would be so so so so weak it would have enough power to hit the car.

The cell phones need to be identical, the service needs to be identical, and you must be using the same cell site.

Its very basic, your cell phone works at frequencies in the giga hertz, your door lock is less than a radio freq. You would have to have some crazy cell phones to push a low frequency on the shoulder of a higher frequency through a satelite, and back through another cell phone to decode that frequency seperate the giga from the door locks and hit the car.

I conclude it cannot work, I'm positive.

http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/phonelocks.html
    Three-time MVP Larry Bird, noting that Bryant has been the NBA's premier player for years, told Sports Illustrated's Dan Patrick before this week's announcement, "When someone told me the other day that Kobe hadn't won an MVP trophy, it sort of made me feel like I wanted to throw mine away."

• Banned User

Thanks for the tips

Quote Originally Posted by barfownz View Post
    There are a few things that can be done in times of grave emergencies. Your mobile phone can actually be a life saver or an emergency tool for survival.
    You forgot to mention Sprint's Crime Deterrent feature...
    Last edited by Alyssa3467; 03-06-2007 at 11:04 PM. Reason: misspelled "deterrent"

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

*#06# only works with GSM phones and that would be useless if it was stolen. The sim card number is what you want, not the serial number.

Emergency? Dial 911, it's free!

Car locked? Different frequencies 900 - 1900 Mhz for you phone vs. 2.4 Ghz for your car. Won't work.

A phone has no hidden power. The only thing that's different is that you can use some phones without the battery, it just has to be plugged into a charger. That number thing doesn't work, otherwise your computer could do the same thing.

411 thing? Nope, but most phone companies have other free features to get around 411, just check them out online.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast