• Winter in Oceanside...

Anyone use a pressure cooker??

I'm ready to move on from just using a crock pot and am thinking of getting a pressure cooker. My mom used to use one in the "olden days". I know they are much better and safer now.

Does anyone have any suggestions on brand, type, recipes, general experience? I'm thinking of this one from QVC:
    http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx?a...EARCH-_-SEARCH

Thanks all!

Re: Anyone use a pressure cooker??

I use one all the time. In fact, just tonight I posted in the "What's for Dinner" thread a brisket recipe I made this evening. They're inexpensive and safe. And food comes out delicious, and in a fraction of the time of slow cooking. That brisket that would have taken several hours to get pull-apart tender takes just an hour in the pressure cooker.

Just make sure to keep it clean, and don't seal the top while it's being stored. Otherwise, the rubber gasket will wear out much faster. (I've had mine for over five years and haven't had to replace the gasket -- it's as good as brand new.) The brand I have is T-fal.

The main thing with pressure cooking is to make sure you don't burn what you're cooking. Once the liquid inside is boiling and you've got pressure, turn the heat down to medium, just enough to keep the steam pressure coming out "medium," but not massively so. There will be directions with the cooker you buy, and I'm sure you can Google some research on pressure cooking methods.

I love my pressure cooker. I also love my enamel cast iron Le Creucet French oven. Two totally opposite ways of cooking -- One really fast; one really slow. A little practice will go a long way, and if time is a concern, you'll love your pressure cooker.

• Winter in Oceanside...

Thanks for the input MKBoy! Is the T-Fal cooker electric or on the stovetop?

• Banned User

I haved the on the stove one love it for corned beef and cabbage. roasts, what ever.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

I've never used one, but I work in one. Does that count?
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

Is the T-Fal cooker electric or on the stovetop?
    Stovetop. I got mine at Macy's. Go check some out. The simpler, the better.