Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Earth Intruder

My new job SUCKS... what to do?

Hey kids!!!

Just wondered if anyone had the same experience I am having right now.

Basically, I'd been looking for a career job since October. I liked doing my old job and being at my old job, but it had no growth potential and the money was bad. So I sent out 20ish resumes every week, interviewed a few times a week, a process which everyone hates.

Last month, I interviewed for a new job (a career-type job... same general career but different firm), which sounded fantastic on all fronts. Perks, money, location, etc. My new boss seemed nice, the office staff was friendly, all that.

However, by day two on the job I realized that the job had been massively misrepresented. The very fundamental nature of the job was completely different than what was told to me during the interview. The ACTUAL job is doing something that goes completely against my nature (i.e. being a complete and total jerk all day to people). And the benefits....... well, let's just say that the benefits I was told about don't actually occur often on the ACTUAL job.

Yes, I know I'm being sort of vague here but... you get the picture. It sucks. It's having a physical effect on me -- my sleeping's been terrible, I feel sick going into work, all that stuff. I left a job I liked for something that's making me angry and depressed.

I expected the first week or three to be stressful in learning the job (which it is), but separate and apart from that, the fundamental job is completely different and horrible than what I was told. I hate it. I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate it. If the job had been presented for what it really was, I would have instantly red-flagged it, thanks for the interview, please don't call me. I feel like I don't owe this job a damn thing.

SO...... less than two weeks later I am sending out resumes. I've never left ANY job so quick (but I've never been so sick over a job before), especially not a "career" job.

I did NOT put my current job on my resume, because I'd like to keep this horrid job at least until I find a new one (hopefully soon). I can't have people calling my current employer.

But during an interview, it is sure to come up..... so... the point of this long story was to ask, has anyone else had this type of experience? How did you handle it? Did you stick with the job, or go back to your old job? (For me, I don't think going back to my old job would be good because it'd be moving backwards career-wise)

What did you tell your next potential employer at the interview? I know it's a bad idea to badmouth a prior employer, or say "well I am leaving within a month of accepting the job because it was misrepresented to me."

Is it acceptable to say flat-out, "I know you're worried about me leaving this particular job since I'm looking so quickly, but I truly am looking for a long term career job. I realized quite quickly that the prior job was not for me. This job is more in tune with where I see myself in 5 years..." or something to that effect?

I've bounced ideas off a number of friends, but I wanted to see if anyone had this experience happen to them firsthand. Or for those of you that conduct interviews, is there a "good" answer to this? All the answers I can think of seem like the lesser of the evils....

Thanks guys!!!

~Cbog~
    Last edited by Chernabog; 03-06-2007 at 12:43 AM.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Re: My new job SUCKS... what to do?

First of all I agree that if your new job is stressful to the point its affecting you physically, run like the wind away from that place! About 3 years ago I was working somewhere that was causing me to have anxiety attacks, to the point that one morning I wasen't sure if it was anxiety or a heart attack, and I found a different school to work at. So I've had a similar but not entirely the same experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog View Post
    What did you tell your next potential employer at the interview? I know it's a bad idea to badmouth a prior employer, or say "well I am leaving within a month of accepting the job because it was misrepresented to me."

Is it acceptable to say flat-out, "I know you're worried about me leaving this particular job since I'm looking so quickly, but I truly am looking for a long term career job. I realized quite quickly that the prior job was not for me. This job is more in tune with where I see myself in 5 years..." or something to that effect?

~Cbog~
    As to this part, I think it would be fine to blend these two responses together if the subject comes up. Let them know that you are serious about a career type of job with room for growth and you want to stick around, but you feel that the current employeer you are with simply misrepresented the job to you before you were hired.

I think that would be acceptable, but lets see what everyone else thinks.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

I agree. I would just tell them that the job you are currently employed at was grossly misrepresented to you and had it been presented properly, you wouldn't have accepted the position. That's not bad-mouthing, I think. Explain to them that you contemplated going back to your old position, but for your, career-wise, that would be going 'backward' and professionally, that is now what you want to do.

Let me/us know how it goes. Good luck to you.

• Waiting for the stork

I agree compleatly, that was my thought as well...

the job was misrepesented, let future employers know that your do want a long term career job, and that you had thought based on the information given to you, that you had found it, unfortunatly it is not the job that you had anticipated...

I'm being redundent but you get the point...

be honest. It'll work to your advantage I'm sure.

good luck finding the perfect spot soon.
    procrastibating

• Hooterville, USA

Tell the truth and you'll be ok.

Less stress = longer life.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    Tell the truth and you'll be ok.

Less stress = longer life.
    Exactly!

• For old time sake

Be honest. this job was not what you were told it would be. I agree with everyone

Aww, Joey Joe, Ia m so sorry this job sucks. Like I told you the other day, this could open the door to a new and amazing job. I'm praying for ya
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• Pirata del Caribe

My first job was even worst, total crap.

Actually, all works here are crap, they all sucks, but better to have one job than anything...
    You feel depressed, angry, and total frustrated.
    Here life is harder, and still you have no money.

You have better luck.
    We don´t wanna be like you. Don´t you get that King of Fools?
    You're the blind to lead the blind.And I walk the wicked way!
    Uno, dos, ya viene por tí
    tres, cuatro, cierra la puerta,
    cinco, seis, mira el crucifijo
    siete, ocho, no duermas aún
    nueve, diez, nunca dormirás...

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

Aw Chernie, I'm so sorry, you were so looking forward to this job . I agree with everyone here, don't walk, but run to find another job. Sticking with a bad job will not accomplish anything, but ruin your health and state of mind. When interviewing, just be honest and say the job was misrepresented to you (don't badmouth or complain about it, just state it as a fact). If you are looking this quick, I think prospective employers with see the truth in this.

Good luck!

• Banned User

run not walk. and do not put it on a resume, no need to do so if you find another job fast. chock it up as what it is and move on. good luck on finding a better one fast

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

I am in agreement with everyone else, run don't walk. Use a combination of
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherny
    Is it acceptable to say flat-out, "I know you're worried about me leaving this particular job since I'm looking so quickly, but I truly am looking for a long term career job. I realized quite quickly that the prior job was not for me. This job is more in tune with where I see myself in 5 years..." or something to that effect
    Just like Pengy said.

I'm sorry you're so unhappy in your present job Cherny and I hope you find something asap!

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Awwwwww. That majorly BLOWS!!! And not in a good way. I have nothing more to add from what the others have said other than to let you know I'm mad for you. Get out of Dodge!! Run away, run away!!!

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

I wouldn't bad mouth a job no matter how much I hated it. The people hiring you will feel that you will talk the same way about them. Just say that the job didn't work out as expected and you are looking for something else or else you risk coming off bitchy. Its none of their business past that, they either want you or not.

Oh, and don't volunteer any information.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by justjohn View Post
    I wouldn't bad mouth a job no matter how much I hated it. The people hiring you will feel that you will talk the same way about them. Just say that the job didn't work out as expected and you are looking for something else or else you risk coming off bitchy. Its none of their business past that, they either want you or not.

Oh, and don't volunteer any information.
    exactly!! just move on and never bad mouth a job, never!!
    awsome post john !!

Sorry this job didn't work out for you. You've got a good handle on what to tell an interviewer, so just get yourself a good job so you can dump this one!
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast