Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

I quit work so...

I quit work yesterday because this is the 3rd week i've had all "call ins" and "0" hours.

So i turned in an application to Barons Market and they said they will contact me back when they reivew the applications.

So i told my friend to go apply there to work with me. He gets an application around 4:30 PM, he fills it out, brings it back at 4:45 PM and then they set up his interview for THAT DAY at 6:30 PM. He later gets the job. In a matter of 2 hours! And they havn't called me back yet.

What should i do for them to notice me. I'm here to work! Should i call them back? or go every day and ask for my status of my application? I have 1 year of Stock/Sales Cash register experience.

• Banned User

Re: I quit work so...

That's odd, does your friend have any extra qualifications that you don't have? Before I worked at Disneyland I worked at alot of places and usually got hired instead of friends because I drove or had a more flexible schedule.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by EagleWings View Post
    That's odd, does your friend have any extra qualifications that you don't have? Before I worked at Disneyland I worked at alot of places and usually got hired instead of friends because I drove or had a more flexible schedule.
    Thanks for asking this.

My friend just turned 17.

He hasnt had any job before. No experience. This is his first job. He lives across town but drives. His grades are avarage. Most C's, Little B's.

For me, I live right up the hill. Direct less than a minute away. I can walk there. So my transporation is good. My grades are some C's, Most B's, little A's

I have 1 year of Stock experience, Sale experience and Cash Register experience.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by barfownz View Post
    Thanks for asking this.

My friend just turned 17.

He hasnt had any job before. No experience. This is his first job. He lives across town but drives. His grades are avarage. Most C's, Little B's.

For me, I live right up the hill. Direct less than a minute away. I can walk there. So my transporation is good. My grades are some C's, Most B's, little A's

I have 1 year of Stock experience, Sale experience and Cash Register experience.
    Hmm I don't see why they wouldn't hire you then. That's odd. Maybe a manager was in there at the time your friend applied and fast fowarded his application. Otherwise I'm at a loss for why they'd do that, aww I'm sorry.

• Banned User

dang, you left disneystore...

well, maybe they are picky? or he had someone else with his resume?

You should try one of the gaming places.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by EagleWings View Post
    Hmm I don't see why they wouldn't hire you then. That's odd. Maybe a manager was in there at the time your friend applied and fast fowarded his application. Otherwise I'm at a loss for why they'd do that, aww I'm sorry.
    Thats what i was thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by figment1986 View Post
    dang, you left disneystore...

well, maybe they are picky? or he had someone else with his resume?

You should try one of the gaming places.
    They changed the rule to aged 18 to work there. I was working at the time of the change so they couldnt really let me go or anything.

I'm very limited on hours. Its just how it is. I'd be working like crazy if they never had the age change from 16 to 18.

I didn't want to leave Disney Store. But i had no choice if i wanted hours.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I'm very limited on hours. Its just how it is.
    By hours do you mean availability or scheduled hours? If you mean availability that would probably be it. Each company needs people for different times and if you don't fit those, then you may be out of luck.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    By hours do you mean availability or scheduled hours? If you mean availability that would probably be it. Each company needs people for different times and if you don't fit those, then you may be out of luck.
    Scedualed hours. The only day i have requested off was My birthday, Next friday, and the POTC 3 event. My birthday isnt until May.

• That Guy

I hope you didn't learn the hard way to wait until YOU have a job, before trying to hook up your buddy. It's possible they just needed to hire a warm body, and the next decent candidate got the job.

I have a good feeling about it, I think you'll get a great job. Maybe look at Starbucks, etc. There are tons of good jobs out there. Good luck buddy.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer View Post
    I hope you didn't learn the hard way to wait until YOU have a job, before trying to hook up your buddy. It's possible they just needed to hire a warm body, and the next decent candidate got the job.

I have a good feeling about it, I think you'll get a great job. Maybe look at Starbucks, etc. There are tons of good jobs out there. Good luck buddy.
    Thats what my mom said. To wait to quit until i get the job. I regret that i quit before i got the job.

Not a good day for me today.

• That Guy

Thats what my mom said. To wait to quit until i get the job. I regret that i quit before i got the job.

Barfy,

Don't even sweat it, it will all work out, seriously. This is how we learn things, from trial and error. Next time you know. In the mean time, stay positive, it will work out and I bet you get a cooler job then your buddy.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Hey it's ok. I gave my 2 week notice on the spot once without having another job lined up. Of course, I was being harrassed (sexually) and I wasn't going to take it anymore....so after the 'day' this all happened for the 'last time' I went to the Operations Manager and gave her my 2 week notice.....and she was shocked. The next morning, I told her what went wrong. Apparently, the person that was harrassing me was already in a bit of hot water already...and he was my manager. Yeah....I already know what you're thinking.

Anyway, I got severance pay.........I say it's 'hush money' myself, because generally you don't get severance pay when you electively leave a job. Seemed too messy to file a suit....and hush money seemed good for me....and it was.

I was employed 3 weeks later at another place......

Just hang in there. It's going to be alright.

• Master Video Slinger

Sounds like a lazy manager to me. I worked at a video store as a manager and after I went through forty or so applications for the best candidates and the owner came and hired the first two people who asked about the job off the street that day. He was in a hurry and didn't want to call people for interviews.

From all the retail experiences I've had most retail places simply don't have a fair application process. For example after I quit the video store job I applied for a job at Petco. Before I turned my application in online I went to the store and asked the shift manager about working there. When I got the job the store manager told me that she had received 140 applications online for a stocking job, and I got it because I got lucky and was able to talk to a shift manager at the right time. There was no way she was going to evaluate all 140 applications.

• Fastest Man Alive

The last place I worked at as a restraunt manager, we just threw away online applications and faxes that came through Monster.com or whatever. The idea was most of those people lived too far away and would quit soon, or that they couldn't be bothered to actually show up and apply in person- so were not worth our time as well.

• Quality not quantity

I'd say that the previous posters in this thread have pretty much covered all the bases:

- Hiring decisions can be rather random affairs.
    - Losing a job you were doing well due to age sux's
    - Normally quiting before you have a new job would be a no-no but since you were not getting the hours what else could you do?

The only thing I can think of to add is that I hope you are not just waiting on Baron's Market. Where else have you applied? Did you check craig's list for your area? They often have a lot of potentially interesting if sometimes odd jobs listed.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast