Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Directly directed

How do you celebrate St. Patrick's Day?

My 4 year old niece is coming to visit me for St. Patty's day. She fully expects the leprechauns to come and visit her. Having never really celebrated St Patricks day does anyone have any suggestions on how I can make it fun for her? Food suggestions, craft and game ideas... anything. What traditions does your family have? Thanks!

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

Re: How do you celebrate St. Patrick's Day?

My kids love St. Patrick's day for some reason. They build a trap for the wee folk out of a cardboard box. In the middle of the box they put a roll of toilet paper so the leprechaun would get his foot stuck. They set the trap the night before St. Pat's day. Then, while they are asleep, I go downstairs and string the toilet paper all over the house, because a leprechaun would never fall into that trap. He does make a mess around the house with the toilet paper, he pees green in the toilet and makes our milk and orange juice green as well. He does tend to leave some gold laying around, but the gold turns to chocolate on St. Pat's day. There are also green and gold necklaces around the house and this year, he may even leave some cute Old Navy St. Pat's day shirts for the boys. I think that about covers it. My kids are picky eaters, so I don't provide any Irish food for them, but my husband and I feast on Irish lamb stew, soda bread and Quiness.

Hope this gives you some ideas! Have a great time with your niece!

• For You!

That day is my sis-in-law's b-day and my friend's b-day. So, we usually have cake and ice cream. And wear green of course.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Banned User

we hide!!
    Butte is one of the biggest party places for this day and there is pissing contests in the street. drunks and drunk drives, lots of arrests and about 90% of out of towners partying. the paper is a ful page of violations the next day.
    I used to go out, my birthday is 1 minute after midnight so all my booze was free from my friends and my friendly bartenders. any more its to dangerous to go out of your house. it starts on a friday, ends on that sunday. OYE
    http://www.outdoordrunks.com/stpats.php
    http://www.coppercity.com/stpatday/index.htm

You just can't describe the party in Butte, Montana on St. Patrick's Day. The small town of 30k people swells up to 50k people (or more, depending on the weather and day of week). Think Mardi Gras in the Rocky Mountains! Did you know there are two places in the United States that don't have open container laws? Las Vegas and Butte! The Outdoor Drunks didn't take too many pictures this year, but hopefully we'll have more next year!

• Man O Lantern

We usually go to a festival and drink ourselves silly (we're Irish!). This year there will be college basketball games, as well as the festival. I'm so looking forward to it!

There are cute St. Patricks day things at Target on the $1 aisle. I picked up a bunch of necklaces for my daughter's kindergarten class.

Our teacher does a scavenger hunt where the kids find rainbow (ROYGBIV) colored clues and at the end of the rainbow there's a treasure chest with cheapie toys and gold coins and candy left for them by a leprechaun. It's so cute and the kids love it!

For the kids-- you can make green eggs and ham for breakfast. For lunch--green kool aid, green apples, green mac and cheese, you can make sugar cookies and dye some white frosting green. Or green jello?

• insufferable know-it-all

Well as a kid the only "celebration" was wearing something green (or the other kids would pinch you)

This year, I want to go see the Poxy Boggards at the Galaxy.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Directly directed

Quote Originally Posted by Nancywitt View Post
    My kids love St. Patrick's day for some reason. They build a trap for the wee folk out of a cardboard box. In the middle of the box they put a roll of toilet paper so the leprechaun would get his foot stuck. They set the trap the night before St. Pat's day. Then, while they are asleep, I go downstairs and string the toilet paper all over the house, because a leprechaun would never fall into that trap. He does make a mess around the house with the toilet paper, he pees green in the toilet and makes our milk and orange juice green as well. He does tend to leave some gold laying around, but the gold turns to chocolate on St. Pat's day. There are also green and gold necklaces around the house and this year, he may even leave some cute Old Navy St. Pat's day shirts for the boys. I think that about covers it. My kids are picky eaters, so I don't provide any Irish food for them, but my husband and I feast on Irish lamb stew, soda bread and Quiness.

Hope this gives you some ideas! Have a great time with your niece!
    Those are some really creative ideas! I may steal a few.
    For the kids-- you can make green eggs and ham for breakfast. For lunch--green kool aid, green apples, green mac and cheese, you can make sugar cookies and dye some white frosting green. Or green jello?
    Exactly how do you make green mac and cheese?

• Incognito

Blog Entries

I'm hoping and praying that there will be a meet up at DCA with some of my close friends. But other than that I really don't have any traditions per se.

Right now I have Irish music playing in the background. I usually always listen to it this time of year. Makes me feel close to my people

• Man O Lantern

Quote Originally Posted by Alice's Wonderland View Post
    Those are some really creative ideas! I may steal a few.

Exactly how do you make green mac and cheese?
    Green food coloring. It's your best friend March 17th!

• Clearing my Calendar

Bryan and I always find a nice pub and drink green beer. That's about it.

I have Irish ancestory but my family didn't instill any Irish traditions in me.
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Oh dear. I guess I'm too Irish and Celtic.

We'll be having corned beef and cabbage for dinner. I don't drink, so beer is kinda out of me, but my family? Well, they go for it. This year, I'll probably make some butterscotch scones for desert and tea.

And we exchange small gifts--usually something a family member's house.

Our family is a mix of Catholic and Protestant, so we wear both green and orange out of respect. However, most people don't get that part.

And O'Nut? I listen to the Irish music all day at work--I found an Accuradio/Celt that is just awesome. I love that kind of music.

Peace to all and Slainte!
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• I may be nutz...but...

We don't, except for trying to find a restaurant that still has openings for seating to eat one of my favoritist food in the whole wide world...corned beef and cabbage with little new potatos! Love it! Usually it is difficult to find a place that still has openings, most are ressied out! Maybe this year I will cook my own! Hmmmmmm....

• Banned User

sneak into a cabinent and make some good cokes

hey, they changed the lock this year.. oh well

for real: um, dress with green and act like a sober irish person with nothing to do... then enjoy a good irish meal

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I'm kind of thinking about going to Orlando to check out this U2 tribute band that's going to be playing at Ragland Road at Pleasure Island. They're called U2 Elevation and claim to be "the best U2 tribute band in the world."

If I don't do that, then I just plan on listening to my U2 CDs and watch some U2 stuff I've been saving on my DVR. So either way it's going to be "U2 Day" for me. Hee!

• Senior Minion

Usually, I just find a nearby place that allows people to Irish Dance to their hearts content!
    There is a parade here, but it's in a bad area downtown, so I never go, even though the dance school I belong to walks in the parade every year.

See if there is a parade of check the local paper for festivities at parks or libraries or such, i'm sure that'll be enjoyable.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast