Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Original Mice-Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by MotorBoatCruise2005
    Am I alone here? Sometimes I feel like I am a real jerk to people, if they are mean to me. Is anyone else like this?
    feh- you're still an infant (not meant as an insult- just a fact) and you have a lot of time to develop who you are- come back at 25-26 and check how we feel then.

• Banned User

I am a picky freak about grammar, spelling etc...which is why I am good at it, on the computer, in ink writing, and in sentences (grammar). Grammar and spelling have always come easily to me...

I'm 100% opposite of this. I'm among the world's worst spellers. When I was in high school, taking AP calculus and AP physics, the "good spellers" hated my guts because I could ace every test without doing a bit of homework or any studying. I hated them because people could actually read what they wrote, and they could write a paper without having to look up every other word in the dictionary.

If someone is someone is big, strong, tough, fast.... we accept they will be better at Football than a scrawney, short weakling. Tall, good at Basketball. etc.

Somehow, when it comes to brains, we don't accept that there are these same differences.... If someone can't spell or write well, it is because they aren't trying. If someone can't do math well, it is because they aren't trying hard enough.

Crap I say! I spent WAY, WAY, WAY WAY more time studying spelling that I ever spent on math homework.... I got Fs on every spelling test and As on every math test.

Some minds are good at spotting patterns in the data. These are the people that do well in math and science. Others are good at memorization and artistic creativity. These people are good at spelling and grammer, but most will never really understand quantum physics.

So, when you see someone that can't spell, you can choose to look down your nose at them and assume they are inferior to you... or you can accept that you are blessed at ability to memorize the spellig of words, and that bad speller is likely going to be able to clean your clock in an abstract math class.

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.
    Opposite for me. I get Cs and Ds in Math, and As in english and lit.

I dont have much of a mind for math. I have a language arts type of mind. Also, im average at science. Not bad, not good. I get Bs or Cs in it...

• Minion

I think its one thing to be a bad speller (we all are in some ways) and be bad at language structure. I can let spelling errors pass from time to time but if you can't write, then something is wrong.

I did a lot better in math and science while in high school but when I got into college, it was a whole new ballgame.

Just my observation MotorBoatCruise2005, I've read some of your posts and think you have a real talent for writing and that you should explore it. I know you're only 14 but if I had such a gift in something at that age, I would have pursued it.

• Banned User

Everyone says I am good at writing, and thanks Mrs. Newseditor! rep for you!

Next year in high school im doing all sorts of writing extracurriculars, and I will be in the Honors English course...

I do think I have a gift for writing, or just in general, English (grammar, spelling) and Literature (writing, comphrension). Although I am not great at reading comphrehension unless I really concentrate. If I just read it casually, I don't remember much, unless I liked it.

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Newseditor44
    I think its one thing to be a bad speller (we all are in some ways) and be bad at language structure. I can let spelling errors pass from time to time but if you can't write, then something is wrong.
    Oh thank god I am not alone...I wish people could hear what they write. I have more problems with sentances that sound horriable when read aloud .
    Last edited by ah schucks; 06-08-2005 at 01:56 PM.

• Minion

I think I'm one of those people. LOL very bad spelling, probably can't understand what I write.

• Banned User

My reading comphrehension is weird. I could give you a word-for-word description of my favorite books, in great detail. And others, I may have even read twice, I can say maybe two sentences about them (an example of books I hated: Beowulf, Lord of the Flies, To Kill a Mockingbird--I remember almost none of any of them, even though I read them relatively recently).

Is it normal to not remember/comprehend much of a book if you didn't like it?

• Minion

YES! I can't remember any books I read in high school.

• Banned User

I dont have much of a mind for math. I have a language arts type of mind. Also, im average at science. Not bad, not good. I get Bs or Cs in it...
    Wait until (if) you get to physics.... It changes from r*t=d and pv=nrt to calculating the altitude and speed an object must travel to stay in geo-stationary orbit over a spot on the earth's surface.

Then the A English/D math/B Science students become F science students.

• Banned User

Oh great. Im gonna fail science. Thanks dshimel.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Newseditor44
    I think its one thing to be a bad speller (we all are in some ways) and be bad at language structure.
    That I can agree with...

When I'm watching a race, I end up yelling at the TV, "The car's running WELL". Good is an adjective describing a noun. Running is a verb, not a noun, therefore, the car can't be "running good".

My got kids tired of me saying things like "You didn't GO 'Hi'. You SAID 'Hi'."

I could go on, but have to get some work done.

• /sigh

My mom's a highschool english teacher. I grew up with, "Now, don't dangle your participles!"
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

• Banned User

Oh great. Im gonna fail science. Thanks dshimel.
    Physics.... It's a college level course that you only take if you're going into an engineering or physical science field. You'll do fine in high school science and basic college physical science classes.

• Banned User

We did Physical Science this year in grade eight. I am not good at it. Balancing chemical equations was a nightmare.

Life Science or Human Body stuff is cake for me...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast