Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: school library

  1. #1

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toowoomba Queensland Australia
    Posts
    3,411

    school library

    Jr Tassie (9) has free reading time in class everyday, and they must read something from the library. This morning she started talking about the quiz and how she got 100% twice and 80% the third time. I didn't have a clue of what she was talking about. she told me that when they finish a book, they have to use the computer to do a quiz on the book they had just read before they can get a new book! So I'm assuming that there is a quiz related to EVERY book in the library, which I think is GREAT! She has been reading the Goosebumps novels


    Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    Tassie, I found a quote for ya !

    "Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

    Charles M. Schulz
    Originally Posted by MWalton
    Did the pages take that long to reach around to your part of the world?!?

  2. #2

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,060

    Re: school library

    Goosebumps were great books to read when I was her age, that's when they first came out here.
    I think it's neat that the library would have a quiz on the books, it makes them read to really read and understand the book instead of just browse through.
    If she wants a good book to read, she can read the first Anne Of Green Gables book.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

  3. #3

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toowoomba Queensland Australia
    Posts
    3,411

    Re: school library

    that's a great idea!I think she would love Anne of Green Gables!! She hates anything scary, so I'm really surprised she's reading them. I LOVE to read and have bought her many books hoping she'd read them, but not much luck. I even bought her some of the Disney fairies books and she hasn't even looked at them


    Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    Tassie, I found a quote for ya !

    "Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

    Charles M. Schulz
    Originally Posted by MWalton
    Did the pages take that long to reach around to your part of the world?!?

  4. #4

    • Man O Lantern
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    It's fall, ya'll!
    Posts
    8,484

    Re: school library

    My 8 year old just finished A Wrinkle in Time today and started on the sequel. Fantastic book for that age!

    What a cool idea for the librarian to do that!

  5. #5

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,365

    Re: school library

    Goosebumps rocked when I was younger I musta owned 5 million of them lol.

  6. #6

    •   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Busy at the donut store
    Posts
    6,876
    Blog Entries
    41

    Re: school library

    This is a reading program called Accelerated Reader. (That's what it is called here inthe States, anyway.) Pro: it encourages kids to read more, so they can test more, so they get more points. Con: it encourages kids to read ONLY for the points, and doesn't always do much to foster a love of reading. Mostly all of the chapter books in the library are "leveled" and have tests to match. Depending on the school though, this can be bad, as sometimes the kids are only allowed to check out books in their level and nothing else, which is really not fair. Depends on the school though.

    At my old school, we had an Accelerated Reading scandal, in which 6th graders were actually paying each other to take tests under their computer log-in, so they could earn extra points without doing the work.

    I have a friend who is a school librarian and she hates it. She says, if a kid wants to check out Moby Dick and carry it around and feel important for a week, then why the heck not? They shouldn't be limited like that. It's sucking the joy of discovery out of reading, and she's not real happy with her job right now, since taking the tests is the focus.
    A signature should go here.

  7. #7

    •   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Busy at the donut store
    Posts
    6,876
    Blog Entries
    41

    Re: school library

    My thought is that if it gets kids reading, great, but it shouldn't be mandated. I didn't want to get all negative and scare Tassie away!
    A signature should go here.

  8. #8

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toowoomba Queensland Australia
    Posts
    3,411

    Re: school library

    my kids are new to this school, and I have never heard about it! thanks! I think she still has a choice of what to read, and I'm really glad she is reading. Like I said, I love to read, and I read about 10 books a month. Like I said, I have tried to get her interested in reading by buying her books. She has this one, but hasn't even picked it up


    Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    Tassie, I found a quote for ya !

    "Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

    Charles M. Schulz
    Originally Posted by MWalton
    Did the pages take that long to reach around to your part of the world?!?

  9. #9

    • Winter in Oceanside...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    6,747

    Re: school library

    Quote Originally Posted by SusieP. View Post
    This is a reading program called Accelerated Reader.
    My school is just starting up Accelerated Reader this year (late). I have my doubts about it because of the Cons you mentioned. I hope I am proven wrong. The kids in my class are SO competitive with each other that I can just see them reading as fast as they can so they can "beat" the others.

  10. #10

    • враг народа
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14,001
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: school library

    Quote Originally Posted by SusieP. View Post
    This is a reading program called Accelerated Reader. (That's what it is called here inthe States, anyway.) Pro: it encourages kids to read more, so they can test more, so they get more points. Con: it encourages kids to read ONLY for the points, and doesn't always do much to foster a love of reading. Mostly all of the chapter books in the library are "leveled" and have tests to match. Depending on the school though, this can be bad, as sometimes the kids are only allowed to check out books in their level and nothing else, which is really not fair. Depends on the school though.

    At my old school, we had an Accelerated Reading scandal, in which 6th graders were actually paying each other to take tests under their computer log-in, so they could earn extra points without doing the work.

    I have a friend who is a school librarian and she hates it. She says, if a kid wants to check out Moby Dick and carry it around and feel important for a week, then why the heck not? They shouldn't be limited like that. It's sucking the joy of discovery out of reading, and she's not real happy with her job right now, since taking the tests is the focus.
    I agree. I used to hate reading because I always felt limited to the school library and the required reading for tests. It wasn't until I could easily get myself to the bookstore (online or physical really) that I really picked up reading. You could ask any of my high school lit teachers about how often I read the required books, very rarely, but they all knew I always had a book in my face. I just couldn't grasp the idea of putting down War and Peace or Don Quixote for some high school book aimed at the lowest common denominator.

    I know at younger ages this doesn't really apply, but I hate curriculum set symbolism. Unless the author said it or wrote it down, anything can be interpretted pretty much in more than one way.
    Last edited by lazyboy97O; 03-14-2007 at 05:39 PM.

  11. #11

    •   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Busy at the donut store
    Posts
    6,876
    Blog Entries
    41

    Re: school library

    My girlfriends have daughters and they LOVE those Disney fairy books! I have a deal with my son that I am more than happy to buy him books, anytime. As long as he reads them, I'll keep on buying them.

    What's that saying? When I have extra money, I buy books. If there's anything left, I buy shoes.
    A signature should go here.

  12. #12

    •   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Busy at the donut store
    Posts
    6,876
    Blog Entries
    41

    Re: school library

    Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell View Post
    My 8 year old just finished A Wrinkle in Time today and started on the sequel. Fantastic book for that age!
    I have never been able to finish this book. I try and try, but I just can't. I don't know why.
    A signature should go here.

  13. #13

    • loves a silver lining
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Anaheim
    Posts
    15,597
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: school library

    My boys's school does AR also. While Shawn always reaches his goal, he never picks up a book and reads for fun It's all about his AR goal. The pro with it though is that it's really helped him progress in reading, he's always had problems with it



    Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

  14. #14

    • Princess of my own world
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Southern CA
    Posts
    1,481

    Re: school library

    Quote Originally Posted by SusieP. View Post
    My thought is that if it gets kids reading, great, but it shouldn't be mandated. I didn't want to get all negative and scare Tassie away!
    My school has AR and I have the same feelings you do about it. But the way my school does it is that you can use it as a requirement and reading grade, but it's up to you to choose how to use it (if you even want to). I'm not really big on it, because it is a lot of extra work for a first year teacher. Regardless of AR my kids love to read.

    The school promotes AR with contests and such but that's it.

    I think it's great Jr. Tassie loves to read so much. If she enjoys any historical type stuff there's this book series called "You wouldn't want to be..." And it has all sorts of things ranging from a pirate to a mummy. They are a lot of fun and true, so two great things put together!
    Visit my blog: Shutters & Scribbles

    Check out my class's Donors Choose page:
    Wildcat Projects
    **Donors Choose is a place where teachers post projects for their classes and request materials and/or technology for that project. People then can make donations starting at just $1 to help fund that project. This is a great way to support teachers and their classes!**

  15. #15

    • Winter in Oceanside...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    6,747

    Re: school library

    Quote Originally Posted by SusieP. View Post
    I have never been able to finish this book. I try and try, but I just can't. I don't know why.
    I've never been able to finish A Wrinkle in Time either. Not my genre I guess. Dull.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Huntington Library in San Marino
    By Disneyland Daddy in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 05-01-2007, 12:13 PM
  2. Carpet taken out of Library of ToT
    By hollywood1939 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 09-28-2006, 06:21 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •