•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Extension Cord Question!

I feel so lame asking this

Does anyone know where I can either get a non-piolarized extension cord OR a plug that will turn a non-polarized outlet into a polarized one?

I tried the 99 cent store, Target and Lowe's.
    Thanks
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: Extension Cord Question!

Home Deopt?

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Rite Aid should have them in the household supply section. They usually come in packs of two. Thinking about it, you should be able to get them just about anywhere.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    I feel so lame asking this

Does anyone know where I can either get a non-polarized extension cord OR a plug that will turn a non-polarized outlet into a polarized one?

I tried the 99 cent store, Target and Lowe's.
    Thanks
    Your question is sort of contradictory. You're asking for a non-polarized extension cord and then you ask for an adapter that will turn a non-polarized outlet into a polarized one?

Also just to be clear...

Non Grounded, Non Polarized:

ı ı

(both flat blades the same size)

Non Grounded Polarized:

l ı

(one of the flat blades is wider than the other)

Grounded:

ı ı
    o

(has a pin beneath the two blades...often called a "3 prong" plug/outlet)

At any rate, adapters (like the little cubes that plug into the wall that turns a Non Grounded outlet into one that will accept Grounded plugs) are usually available all over the place...supermarkets, Rite-Aid, Lowes, Home Depots.

• That Guy

Also, there are some things that you can save money on, and it's ok. (TP, bottled water, etc.) and there are some things you really want to make sure you spend enough to get a good/safe version (parachutes, body armor, electricity conduits, etc.)

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    Your question is sort of contradictory. You're asking for a non-polarized extension cord and then you ask for an adapter that will turn a non-polarized outlet into a polarized one?

At any rate, adapters (like the little cubes that plug into the wall that turns a Non Grounded outlet into one that will accept Grounded plugs) are usually available all over the place...supermarkets, Rite-Aid, Lowes, Home Depots.

Except the adapters AREN'T all over the place... that's why I'm asking here Lowe's only had polarized ones. And the supermarket too, actually, I did look there was well. The others I mentioned in my OP.

I have a non grounded, polarized plug that needs to go in a non polarized outlet (I know the difference between the types, thanks). So I need either a non polarized extension cord to plug into the non polarized outlet OR a plug to turn the non polarized outlet into a polarized one. (grounded or not, that doesn't matter). Is that clearer?

I will try Rite-Aid, thanks for the suggestions. That was next on my list. I'll try Home Depot, I suppose, but I figured if Lowe's didn't have them, HD probably wouldn't. I hate those stores, too.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain

I have a non grounded, polarized plug that needs to go in a non polarized outlet (I know the difference between the types, thanks). So I need either a non polarized extension cord to plug into the non polarized outlet...
    I guess this is the part that's confusing me. Because any extension cord that has non-polarized at one end (plug) is likely to have the same non-polarized at the other (outlet). And then you're right back where you started, right?

I'm not sure an extension cord will do what you want because generally, extension cords have matched types at both ends and don't do any adapting.

I think you just need the adapter...or "cube tap" as it's sometimes called. Like this one:

http://doitbest.com/DoItBest/Main.as...=64&SKU=502561

But I'm guessing you already know that and just need to find it somewhere. Though Home Depot and Lowes often don't show everything online that they offer in their stores, your local store should have them.

But if they just don't...try the yellow pages for electrical supply houses in your area. Or a smaller neighborhood hardware/electrical store. Or if you're not in a hurry, you could always order it online from the above or one of the many other online retailers of this tap.

Good Luck!

• Banned User

Lorie beth, I get these and at walmart

• Ok time for cocoa

Or if worse comes to worse up grade the socket. Parts should be under $5.00 and will take you 10 or 15 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    How is a state religion bad, but state medicine good?
    Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    Anyone who makes the decision to depend upon the government to take care of their basic needs has essentially doomed himself to a life of bitter disappointment.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

I guess this is the part that's confusing me. Because any extension cord that has non-polarized at one end (plug) is likely to have the same non-polarized at the other (outlet). And then you're right back where you started, right?

I'm not sure an extension cord will do what you want because generally, extension cords have matched types at both ends and don't do any adapting.

I think you just need the adapter...or "cube tap" as it's sometimes called. Like this one:

But I'm guessing you already know that and just need to find it somewhere. Though Home Depot and Lowes often don't show everything online that they offer in their stores, your local store should have them.

But if they just don't...try the yellow pages for electrical supply houses in your area. Or a smaller neighborhood hardware/electrical store. Or if you're not in a hurry, you could always order it online from the above or one of the many other online retailers of this tap.

Good Luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hakuna Makarla View Post
    Lorie beth, I get these and at walmart

Both of those are already polarized, though. And if they don't have extension cords that turned a non-polarized outlet into a polarized one - I didn't know that. Actually - I SWEAR they DOD exist because I know I used some at the first apt. I lived in, I swear, but I guess I could be wrong. A plug is fine - but the plugs at Home Depot were all polarized. Ditto for Lowe's. (Oh and Karla, Wal-Mart's way too far away). I'll try to find an electrical house, I suppose, but I'm guessing that'll be way too intimidating.

I will probably have to try to find it on the Internet and it'll cost a lot but whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Rick View Post
    Or if worse comes to worse up grade the socket. Parts should be under $5.00 and will take you 10 or 15 minutes.

I'd have to have the landlord do it and it seems like such a deal to have him go through all that trouble.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain

Both of those are already polarized
    My link isn't polarized at the source. Look again.

Convert any outlet into a triple outlet source, polarized.
    Plugs into any standard outlet (two small blades) and converts it to a polarized outlet (one big blade, one small blade). I think that's what you want, isn't it?

Another option which I've done in a pinch...is to just use a metal file and file down the wider blade a bit. It's really easy. Cheating, but it works.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

My link isn't polarized at the source. Look again.

Plugs into any standard outlet (two small blades) and converts it to a polarized outlet (one big blade, one small blade). I think that's what you want, isn't it?

Another option which I've done in a pinch...is to just use a metal file and file down the wider blade a bit. It's really easy. Cheating, but it works.
    Yeah, you're right. I saw the polarized icon and my eye started twitching and I had to close the page right away. I'm so sick of that stupid symbol. Thanks, though. It's $7 with shipping. What a rip. It might be better just to have the landlord switch the outlet

I'd be too afraid of the consequence if I filed down the side. Somehow I think it'd cost more than $7 if I burned down the house
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain