Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Pearl Harbor/Omaha Beach question?

Quote Originally Posted by IndyJn511 View Post
    Im not sure how much is left, but the cause is just the general decomposition of the boat's structure. Albeit, its not just pouring out, but it is leaking at an alarming rate.
    Does that mean its giving out about 1 drop every month or something? I'm just giving an example. Not an actual estimate?

Would the 2nd Disc of the movie Pearl Harbor be any good to me to watch?

The Arizona's leaking is oil is a concern environmentally speaking, but the fear is that if they pump the oil out, the ship could collapse. This collapse would then cause all of the remaining oil to be released in one big burp and cause major ecological harm. The little amounts of oil released are damaging, but not catastrophic. The ship is a protected burial site and therefore they have to be careful in how they precede. The Arizona's leaks are periodically checked and repairs are made if possible. There is much care taken so as to not disturb the site. There is a superstition that the oil is the ship "weeping" over the loss of life.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mousey Girl View Post
    15-20 years ago the government, at the urging of environmentalists tried to exhume the bodies from the Arizona. My Aunt and Grandmother led the fight to stop them. My Dad's Dad is entombed on the Arizona. I've been there, and don't ever want to go back. I will eventually. I want to show The Boy a huge piece of his history.

So your Grandpa is in the Arizona today?

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Book a flight to Hawaii and go to the Arizona memorial. A very emotional thing.
    Look up Arizona Memorial online and you may be able to get more info.
    We are going Oahu and Maui over the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Simply Mad View Post
    My hubby has a history degree and his family is from Hawaii. He says that while other ships in Battleship Row completely sank like the Arizona did, it was the one with the greatest loss of life. If fact, about half the lives lost at Pearl Harbor were on the Arizona. All of the other ships that sank in Battleship Row were refloated, repaired, and put back in service...with exception of the Oklahoma which sank while being towed back to the mainland. There is one other ship on the other side of Ford Island which is still submerged. That one is the Utah.
    Why didn't they raise the Arizona or the Utah?

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    Regarding Omaha, it now barely shows any sign that a battle was ever even fought there. After the landings there was so much work done by the Corps to turn it into a conduit for material that most of the topography was stripped away. The heaviest concrete bunkers still overlook the beach itself, but other than that it looks very normal and unassuming. There are still a few wrecks of landing craft and a few DD tanks (amphibious tanks) rotting away off shore in deeper waters where they were sunk, but no bodies to be washed ashore. The military did a pretty thorough job of gathering all of the dead and burying them in the cemetery at Normandy, which is an incredibly beautiful and moving place by the way, but there is of course always the possibility that one or two were missed. At this point, however, the body would be decayed away to almost nothing. Rumors of bodies washing up still today are merely myth.

As an aside, however, if one searches around intently, there are still a few old small relics to be found from the invasion, such as the occasional bullet casing and such. They’ve become rare, but are still around to some degree.
    So you can still find bullet shells and dog tags and such?

Theres Higgins boats still sunk out in deep water?

What happened to those "X" things where the Alies hid behind? Why did they take it out? What about the barbed wire where we got over, and what about the bunkers where the Germans took most of our guys out with Machine gun fire? Did they remove the bunkers?

I bet if somebody who never knew about D-Day and went to Omaha, Tey wouldnt know that a bloody battle was fought on the shores.

So Omaha Beach today, Is just a regular reach where people can go visit and go in the water?

What does "Old Relics" mean?

What about the bodies of people who drowned because they got caught from the sand bar?

To answer your question about watching Pearl Harbor...the first half is good and somewhat educational (read "not very"), but as my hubby the history major calls it..."Pearl Harbor, the Japanese sneak attack on an American love triange." The second half deals with the outcome of that love triangle and the Doolittle raid on Tokyo.

Tora, Tora, Tora is more historically acurate, it shows the attack from both sides and would offer a better educational view. The History Channel also offers some excellent programming about Pearl Harbor and the war in the Pacific.

They thought about raising the Arizona, but it was too damaged. If you look at the ship under water there is the back half, the front, and in the middle is mush. If the war had continued, they might have tried, but it wasn't needed. The Utah was only a training ship and wasn't needed for the war.

• Banned User

Ahh. Very cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    Regarding Omaha, it now barely shows any sign that a battle was ever even fought there. After the landings there was so much work done by the Corps to turn it into a conduit for material that most of the topography was stripped away. The heaviest concrete bunkers still overlook the beach itself, but other than that it looks very normal and unassuming. There are still a few wrecks of landing craft and a few DD tanks (amphibious tanks) rotting away off shore in deeper waters where they were sunk, but no bodies to be washed ashore. The military did a pretty thorough job of gathering all of the dead and burying them in the cemetery at Normandy, which is an incredibly beautiful and moving place by the way, but there is of course always the possibility that one or two were missed. At this point, however, the body would be decayed away to almost nothing. Rumors of bodies washing up still today are merely myth.

As an aside, however, if one searches around intently, there are still a few old small relics to be found from the invasion, such as the occasional bullet casing and such. They’ve become rare, but are still around to some degree.

Theres Higgins boats still sunk out in deep water?

What happened to those "X" things where the Alies hid behind? Why did they take it out? What about the barbed wire where we got over, and what about the bunkers where the Germans took most of our guys out with Machine gun fire? Did they remove the bunkers?

I bet if somebody who never knew about D-Day and went to Omaha, Tey wouldnt know that a bloody battle was fought on the shores.

So Omaha Beach today, Is just a regular reach where people can go visit and go in the water?

What about the bodies of people who drowned because they got caught from the sand bar?

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Simply Mad View Post
    Tora, Tora, Tora is more historically acurate, it shows the attack from both sides and would offer a better educational view. The History Channel also offers some excellent programming about Pearl Harbor and the war in the Pacific.
    If you can, History Channel has a History vs. Hollywood on Tora! Tora! Tora!, not to mentions lots of other programs on the Second World War.

Quote Originally Posted by barfownz View Post
    I doubt dog tags as they were probably taken with those whom they identified. But as was stated finding bits of bullets is very rare. You're not just going to go there, scoop some sand, and find a bullet.

Why would you keep them? It was a horribly bloody battle during a horribly bloody war. People wanted to continue with their lives. They didn't care what some kid 60 years later would think about how things happened.

Yes.

I'd say that would probably be a move done in very bad taste.

The structures that are left aren't maintained. They've been abandoned and left to rot.

Bodies decompose. The only way bodies survive is because of mumification, which isn't going to happen in water. The armies also went around looking for bodies after the battle to make sure that they weren't just left lying there.

• Banned User

I just got done watching Pearl Harbor did the Americans accually get in the planes and fight back above the skys of Pearl Harbor and shoot some planes down?

• Banned User

I'll try to dig up and post some of my pics of Omaha for you. It very much is just a normal beach today, and in fact there are families who do go there and let their children play in the water and such. I found that to be a very fitting thing to do, kind of like the beach healing itself in much the same way that a forest sprouts flowers and ferns after a tragic fire. Where once men died under horrendous circumstances, now children are able to be young, playful and free of fear. I believe that those who died there from both sides would smile at that. The cemetery, which sits on a rise overlooking Omaha, is where the mood is somber and the paying of respects take place.

The Belgian Gates, hedgehogs, mines and other such traps from the invasion were removed beginning that very day. Some are in museums, most were scrapped. The barbed wire and such was torn out as soon as was possible so as not to impede the offloading of men and materials. Omaha, and all of the invasion beaches in fact, were important much past D-Day. Until proper harbors were taken all of the necessities for the Allied offensive had to come ashore there, and in the weeks and months following the landings the beaches looked very much like a bustling port facility. There are many historical photographs showing such which you can easily find with a Google search. Naturally as much of the clutter, debris and obstacles as possible were cleared away quickly to accommodate this. The heavier fortifications; pillboxes, gun emplacements, etc were too big to move and were left, but those were all mostly set back from the beach itself anyhow. Looking at Omaha one now sees just sandy beach.

If you were to take a metal detector and equipment to the beach and spend several hours, perhaps days, you would most likely leave with a handful of scraps and such from that day. It would be hard work, but not impossible. The average beach comber doesn't find much, but it does happen. My French family has a few items they've collected over the years.

Yes there are a few remaining hulks of Higgins Boats and such left off shore in the waters. If they were unrecoverable then it didn't make sense for the Army to reclaim them, and so they were left. It doesn't in any way look like a ship graveyard out there, so don't get that impression, but under the water divers have found a few rusting hulks here and there.

I think it's great that you're so interested in learning about these events. They were, and are still, very important occurrences for our nation and for the world and I fear at times that they'll be forgotten. If you really want to learn more I'd recommend heading to the video store and looking for some of the History Channel's programs. They've done some great stuff regarding Omaha, Pearl, and other places. So has National Geographic. Also, Stephen Ambrose wrote some great books, one in particular called "D-Day" that are mainly collections of soldiers stories and experiences from those battles. They’re very illuminating and informative as well.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by barfownz View Post
    I just got done watching Pearl Harbor did the Americans accually get in the planes and fight back above the skys of Pearl Harbor and shoot some planes down?
    A few, but not nearly as heavily as the movie portrays. The airfields were hit immediately and as the planes had been parked wingtip to wingtip they blew up in droves. It really was a route of the Americans.

• Banned User

I do have a 4-disc D-Day set. Its very graphic and interesting. I've had it for years now and i still havn't watched it all.

I just added that on my life-time to do list.

Take a Trip to Normandy, France. Head over to Omaha beach and visit.

• Conductor on Retlaw 1 Car

Being a WW2 historian. Since you live in California check out CHGWW2.com we are a living history group based out of southern and central California and do a few public displays during the year. If you liked Tora Tora Tora watch the Longest Day about D day.

As many have said yes bodies or remains are still in the Arizona and they haven't removed them. However they have added a few remains to the Arizona of sailors that served on her during Pearl that had survived and died in recent years and wanted to be buried with their friends.

Yes there are wrecks off of Normandy and some are tombs because soldiers and sailors died on them and there bodies are resting in them. They like the Arizona are Govt. property and no one is allowed to touch them. They did sink a few ships off of the coast as a breakwater for the 2 harbors called Mulberrys. I am not sure how many ships, Duplex drive tanks, or landing craft are still out there. If they were in the way and could be moved or destroyed they where. Thats why all the obstacles were removed.

• Banned User

Tell me all you know. Any interesting facts about Omaha beach and Pearl Harbor, Tractor? I'm interested.

What about the USS Oklahoma? Was that the ship that turned 180 degrees over? Is it still sunk? Are there still bodies left in there just like the USS Arizona?

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Visit the National D-Day Museum in New Orleans, LA or at least their website:
    http://www.ddaymuseum.org/
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Conductor on Retlaw 1 Car

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/s...nsh-o/bb37.htm
    here is the story of the Oklahoma

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast