Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 49
  1. #1

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Temecula, California
    Posts
    9,153

    Pearl Harbor/Omaha Beach question?

    I heard that bodies from the USS Arizona and Bodies along Omaha Beach are still being found today. Is that true?

  2. #2

    • And they call me Mad!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Your Mind
    Posts
    10,962
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Pearl Harbor/Omaha Beach question?

    Although many people were entombed in the ship, I would imagine their bodies would have been pretty much decomposed/ eaten away by marine life.
    What an idiot....

    Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.


  3. #3

    •   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Planet Selectro, in the Andromeda galaxy
    Posts
    2,040

    Re: Pearl Harbor/Omaha Beach question?

    After 62 years, any remains would be skeletal, and highly fragmented at best. I highly doubt any are found after all this time. All the remains on board the Arizona are sealed inside the wreck, the National Park Service does not investigate their conditions as it is a protected grave site.

  4. #4

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Temecula, California
    Posts
    9,153

    Re: Pearl Harbor/Omaha Beach question?

    Was the bombing of the USS Arizona the worst out of them all?

  5. #5

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    SoCal, U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,789

    Re: Pearl Harbor/Omaha Beach question?

    Quote Originally Posted by barfownz View Post
    Was the bombing of the USS Arizona the worst out of them all?
    I'm sure to each person that was killed...theirs was the worst.

    But if you want the exact stats...they're all over the internet. Google is your friend. But you'll find what you want here:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_on_Pearl_Harbor

  6. #6

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Temecula, California
    Posts
    9,153

    Re: Pearl Harbor/Omaha Beach question?

    I did use google and wikipedia.

    I'm just trying to find out more. I cant seem to find it on the WWW.

  7. #7

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    688

    Re: Pearl Harbor/Omaha Beach question?

    My hubby has a history degree and his family is from Hawaii. He says that while other ships in Battleship Row completely sank like the Arizona did, it was the one with the greatest loss of life. If fact, about half the lives lost at Pearl Harbor were on the Arizona. All of the other ships that sank in Battleship Row were refloated, repaired, and put back in service...with exception of the Oklahoma which sank while being towed back to the mainland. There is one other ship on the other side of Ford Island which is still submerged. That one is the Utah.

  8. #8

    • Rawr...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Adventureland
    Posts
    1,196

    Re: Pearl Harbor/Omaha Beach question?

    Perhaps you heard that they were still giving off oil? Because thats the only thing that rings a bell for me.
    Anyone up for a Colorado Micechatters meet-up?
    http://micechat.com/forums/meets-eve...ml#post3486518


    Colorado Micechatter Extrordinare!

  9. #9

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    22,687

    Re: Pearl Harbor/Omaha Beach question?

    Book a flight to Hawaii and go to the Arizona memorial. A very emotional thing.

    Look up Arizona Memorial online and you may be able to get more info.


  10. #10

    • Just Me
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Trying to be the better person.
    Posts
    1,303

    Re: Pearl Harbor/Omaha Beach question?

    15-20 years ago the government, at the urging of environmentalists tried to exhume the bodies from the Arizona. My Aunt and Grandmother led the fight to stop them. My Dad's Dad is entombed on the Arizona. I've been there, and don't ever want to go back. I will eventually. I want to show The Boy a huge piece of his history.

  11. #11

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    A state of happy whimsy.
    Posts
    1,399

    Re: Pearl Harbor/Omaha Beach question?

    Regarding Omaha, it now barely shows any sign that a battle was ever even fought there. After the landings there was so much work done by the Corps to turn it into a conduit for material that most of the topography was stripped away. The heaviest concrete bunkers still overlook the beach itself, but other than that it looks very normal and unassuming. There are still a few wrecks of landing craft and a few DD tanks (amphibious tanks) rotting away off shore in deeper waters where they were sunk, but no bodies to be washed ashore. The military did a pretty thorough job of gathering all of the dead and burying them in the cemetery at Normandy, which is an incredibly beautiful and moving place by the way, but there is of course always the possibility that one or two were missed. At this point, however, the body would be decayed away to almost nothing. Rumors of bodies washing up still today are merely myth.

    As an aside, however, if one searches around intently, there are still a few old small relics to be found from the invasion, such as the occasional bullet casing and such. They’ve become rare, but are still around to some degree.

  12. #12

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Temecula, California
    Posts
    9,153

    Re: Pearl Harbor/Omaha Beach question?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mousey Girl View Post
    15-20 years ago the government, at the urging of environmentalists tried to exhume the bodies from the Arizona. My Aunt and Grandmother led the fight to stop them. My Dad's Dad is entombed on the Arizona. I've been there, and don't ever want to go back. I will eventually. I want to show The Boy a huge piece of his history.

    So your Grandpa is in the Arizona today?

    Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Book a flight to Hawaii and go to the Arizona memorial. A very emotional thing.
    Look up Arizona Memorial online and you may be able to get more info.
    We are going Oahu and Maui over the summer.

    Quote Originally Posted by IndyJn511 View Post
    Perhaps you heard that they were still giving off oil? Because thats the only thing that rings a bell for me.
    Yes, I heard about that. wh yis it still giving off oil? I heard that its still around half a tank of oil left. True?

    Quote Originally Posted by Simply Mad View Post
    My hubby has a history degree and his family is from Hawaii. He says that while other ships in Battleship Row completely sank like the Arizona did, it was the one with the greatest loss of life. If fact, about half the lives lost at Pearl Harbor were on the Arizona. All of the other ships that sank in Battleship Row were refloated, repaired, and put back in service...with exception of the Oklahoma which sank while being towed back to the mainland. There is one other ship on the other side of Ford Island which is still submerged. That one is the Utah.
    Why didn't they raise the Arizona or the Utah?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    Regarding Omaha, it now barely shows any sign that a battle was ever even fought there. After the landings there was so much work done by the Corps to turn it into a conduit for material that most of the topography was stripped away. The heaviest concrete bunkers still overlook the beach itself, but other than that it looks very normal and unassuming. There are still a few wrecks of landing craft and a few DD tanks (amphibious tanks) rotting away off shore in deeper waters where they were sunk, but no bodies to be washed ashore. The military did a pretty thorough job of gathering all of the dead and burying them in the cemetery at Normandy, which is an incredibly beautiful and moving place by the way, but there is of course always the possibility that one or two were missed. At this point, however, the body would be decayed away to almost nothing. Rumors of bodies washing up still today are merely myth.

    As an aside, however, if one searches around intently, there are still a few old small relics to be found from the invasion, such as the occasional bullet casing and such. They’ve become rare, but are still around to some degree.
    So you can still find bullet shells and dog tags and such?

    Theres Higgins boats still sunk out in deep water?

    What happened to those "X" things where the Alies hid behind? Why did they take it out? What about the barbed wire where we got over, and what about the bunkers where the Germans took most of our guys out with Machine gun fire? Did they remove the bunkers?

    I bet if somebody who never knew about D-Day and went to Omaha, Tey wouldnt know that a bloody battle was fought on the shores.

    So Omaha Beach today, Is just a regular reach where people can go visit and go in the water?

    What does "Old Relics" mean?

    What about the bodies of people who drowned because they got caught from the sand bar?

  13. #13

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    SoCal, U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,789

    Re: Pearl Harbor/Omaha Beach question?

    Quote Originally Posted by barfownz View Post
    I did use google and wikipedia.

    I'm just trying to find out more. I cant seem to find it on the WWW.
    Well, the Wikipedia link I provided you does answer your question...

    Quote Originally Posted by barfownz
    Was the bombing of the USS Arizona the worst out of them all?
    In case you skipped over it:

    Ninety minutes after it began, the attack was over. 2403 Americans died (68 were civilians, most killed by American anti-aircraft shrapnel and shells landing in civilian areas, including Honolulu), a further 1178 wounded. Eighteen ships were sunk, including five battleships. Nearly half of the American fatalities — 1,102 men — were caused by the explosion and sinking of Arizona.

  14. #14

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Temecula, California
    Posts
    9,153

    Re: Pearl Harbor/Omaha Beach question?

    Are there many USS Arizona Survivors left? How could they of survived? Do they jump overboard, take a life boat, or what? When the survivors do visit the place? What do they do?

    Sorry for the questions. I'm interested.


    Heres a few photos i found...

    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ormandyLST.jpg

    http://www.anders.com/pictures/publi...-8-2001_sm.jpg

    http://www.mishalov.com/images/arizona_pearlharbor.jpg
    Last edited by barfownz; 03-18-2007 at 02:53 PM.

  15. #15

    • Rawr...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Adventureland
    Posts
    1,196

    Re: Pearl Harbor/Omaha Beach question?

    Yes, I heard about that. wh yis it still giving off oil? I heard that its still around half a tank of oil left. True?
    Im not sure how much is left, but the cause is just the general decomposition of the boat's structure. Albeit, its not just pouring out, but it is leaking at an alarming rate.
    Anyone up for a Colorado Micechatters meet-up?
    http://micechat.com/forums/meets-eve...ml#post3486518


    Colorado Micechatter Extrordinare!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Pearl Harbor - December 7, 1941 - Never Forget
    By Disneyland Daddy in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-08-2008, 01:55 PM
  2. Pearl Harbor USS Arizona survivor/veteran at the park today!
    By CAspace in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-30-2007, 09:24 PM
  3. Pearl Harbor Remembrance
    By Rayangelo in forum Disney Interactive and Game Industry Discussion
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 12-06-2006, 01:58 PM
  4. Pearl Harbor attacked this day, on December 7, 1941
    By Disney Wrassler in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-09-2005, 12:18 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •