Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anybody Going To LAX Tomorrow (3/19) AM For 1st A380 Landing?

We're gonna try to be there to watch the historic first landing at LAX of the new Airbus 380 double-decker. This monster is HUGE! Eight stories tall! Seats 550! LAX says they're expecting as many as 20,000 people attempting to watch the landing from surrounding areas. That would be twice as many as showed up for the first landing of the Concord in 1974. Yeech.

Runway 24R...that's on the North (In 'N Out) side...at 9:30am. Then it taxi's to an Imperial Terminal. Taking off the next day from 25R, which is on the South Imperial side.

http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release...ease_id=226088

Should be quite a sight if I can get in the spot I'm hoping to.

Our local ABC affiliate says they're going to be webcasting it Live:

www.abc7.com

I'm sure others will as well. A second A380 will be landing at the same moment at JFK.

So...anyone else plan on being out there?
    Last edited by Opus1guy; 03-18-2007 at 09:50 PM. Reason: To add the time of the landing!

• Banned User

Re: Anybody Going To LAX Tomorrow (3/19) AM For 1st A380 Landing?

Take pictures!! I have school tomorrow so I can't go.

• Bring Me Two Piña Coladas

I read about that! Too bad i'm not based out of the Culver City office of my work anymore I could've been "in the field" and watched it!

Replays it is I guess
    Three-time MVP Larry Bird, noting that Bryant has been the NBA's premier player for years, told Sports Illustrated's Dan Patrick before this week's announcement, "When someone told me the other day that Kobe hadn't won an MVP trophy, it sort of made me feel like I wanted to throw mine away."

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I second the motion for pictures please.

I'd love to at least see one at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleWings View Post
    Take pictures!! I have school tomorrow so I can't go.
    You know...I'd like to comply with that request, but I'm just not a big picture taker anymore. Too much stuff to haul and I don't like looking at things through a viewfinder. I want to record it with my own eyes. Sorry.

Besides...I know that www.airliners.net will have about a dozen photogs covering it with much better equipment and expertise than I could ever hope for.

Nope. The only thing I hope to have in my hand when it lands, is a Bloody Mary or a Mimosa.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    You know...I'd like to comply with that request, but I'm just not a big picture taker anymore. Too much stuff to haul and I don't like looking at things through a viewfinder. I want to record it with my own eyes. Sorry.

Besides...I know that www.airliners.net will have about a dozen photogs covering it with much better equipment and expertise than I could ever hope for.

Nope. The only thing I hope to have in my hand when it lands, is a Bloody Mary or a Mimosa.
    Lol ok well I guess the rest of us will look it up online.

• Banned User

I'd love to see the inside of that mammoth!!! I've had dreams that I am in a 2 story airplane. Eight stories sure would cut down on the claustrophobia I feel inside of airplanes!!!

• In Blackberry Rehab

WOW. Le'ts get a detailed report tomorrow! I didn't catch it in the article, but where is it flying from?

honk if you see me at disneyland!

hey take pics of videotape it i love this aircraft . i guess that's his first landing in the Uinted States .
    HKDL : Done !!!

• World Traveler

I'd love to be at that In-N-Out eating a burger and watching that aircraft arrive!

• Incognito

Blog Entries

I wish! I'll just wait for when Singapore and Qantas fly it to LAX for regular service. Whenever that ends up being given the 380's delays.

Opus in position atop Sheraton LAX waiting for Big Bird. Traffic pretty bad getting in general Century/Sepulvida area. Didn't think I would make it.

Cool. Some guy brought a radio that's picking up tower communications. So we got sound too! Hazy and chilly, but we should have a good view.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • has a brand new mindset

I found this doing a search for A380 ... it's from the LAist and I thought it was pretty funny, even for an out of towner...

5 Reasons to Boycott the Arrival of the Airbus A380

5. Airbus was actually going to dis LAX until a few weeks ago because the airport was so far behind on the infamous ~$50 million modifications needed to accommodate the 8-story tall village-in-the-sky. So while 550 Lufthansa passengers will arrive simultaneously (9:30 a.m. PDT Monday) at New York's JFK, the LAX-bound A380 is practically a test flight, with only handful of Airbus techs and some heavy equipment (although it's rumored that Samuel L. Jackson might be onboard... just in case).

4. The best plane-spotting and picture taking will most likely occur on the plane's Tuesday evening departure (around 7:30 p.m.). The behemoth will take off from northbound runway 25A, flying over Dockweiler State Beach at dusk. Now we're talking picnic and no need to ditch work.

3. Not only would a boycott be patriotic, it would be a nice display of empathy to Airbus employees in Europe, currently on strike in protest of 10,000 proposed job cuts. These job cuts were necessitated by delays in the roll-out of the A380 and as patriots, dammit, we're fine with our Boeings.

2. News outlets worldwide expect thousands of spectators to turn out at LAX to witness the scheduled 9:30 a.m. arrival. The LA Times suggests the same, and after dropping the somewhat insulting "IMAGE" section on us ("...a smart cultural observer of L.A.'s greatest obsession: the way we present ourselves to the world"), we'll steer clear of LAX if only to prove TribCo wrong clueless.

1. It's not a pterodactyl, it ain't Superman, nor is it the Enterprise. If thousands of Angelenos will skip work to watch a plane land, then we really need a pro football team.
    I love my awesome crazy wonderful friends!!

"Do you remember in kindergarten, how you’d meet a kid,
    then 10 seconds later you’d be playing like you were best friends?"

Woo-hoo! Very nice sight! Well...she is pretty darn big. The United 747 that preceded her look pretty big from up here, but the Airbus really did. Looked to me from up here that just when her wheels touched down, she gave a pretty wobbly shift in her rear end. Any of you watching on TV see anything like that? Anyway...good show now to get outta here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast