Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• That Guy

Mogul hands out mansions to Hawaii's native homeless

I rarely post news items, but this was such a cool, amazing story, I thought it would be a nice way to end the week.

(Wow, let's see DLR beat THIS in their YOD campaign)

HONOLULU - Dorie-Ann Kahale and her five daughters moved from a homeless shelter to a mansion Thursday, courtesy of a Japanese real estate mogul who is handing over eight of his multimillion-dollar homes to low-income Native Hawaiian families.

Tears spilled down Kahale's cheeks as she accepted from Genshiro Kawamoto the key to a white, columned house with a circular driveway, a stone staircase and a deep porcelain bathtub. Her family will live there rent-free but must pay utility bills.

"What we need to do is appreciate," Kahale said. "As fast as we got it, it could disappear."

Kawamoto, whose own eyes started welling up as Kahale cried, handed over two other homes Thursday to homeless or low-income families.

Kawamoto, one of Japan's richest men, said he plans to open eight of his 22 Kahala homes to needy Hawaiian families. They will be able to stay in the homes for up to 10 years, he said.

Native Hawaiians are disproportionately represented among the state's homeless and working poor.

Giving away mansions shows more dedication to helping Hawaii's homeless than just handing out wads of cash, he said. Asked whether he was concerned about losing money on the effort, he laughed and said: "This is pocket money for me."

Kahale's new house is worth nearly $5 million, an average price for the mansionlike dwellings on Kahala Avenue.

Kahale became homeless two years ago when her landlord raised her rent from $800 to $1,200, putting the apartment beyond reach of her salary as customer service representative for Pacific LightNet, a telecommunications company.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

Re: Mogul hands out mansions to Hawaii's native homeless

what a wonderful thing to do.

• That Guy

I agree, what an amazing act of generosity, especially for a person who doesn't even live in the U.S., to be so kind, especially for native islanders, that is so classy. I wish I knew what industry the person owns, I would try and purchase his products.

• I luv you Ethan =]

That's a really nice thing.
    [ Will you always be there to hold my hand? ]

I love you Ethan =D

<-- Of course that isn't me?! Haha jk =D

• Banned User

I love reading stories like this one. They're great for helping to restore my faith in mankind. Really, really awesome.

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    I love reading stories like this one. They're great for helping to restore my faith in mankind. Really, really awesome.

I totally agree. All too often we read really negative things, and it is so refreshing to hear some good news. It would be awesome if this lit a fire under other U.S. wealthy business people to follow this amazing act of generosity.

• Head Postmaster of Random

In a lay-z boy licking stamps and slaping minions...

great post... gotta love when rich people decide they dont need everything they own and decide to share with those in need...you see too many rich atheletes who cry about not being rich enough, someone likee....manny ramirez? 123 million isnt enough for him lmao so hes selling stuff on ebay to make a profit...humans are 90% nuts theres about 10% that are truly lookin out for the fellow man...IF THAT...
    "Permane Ser Sentados Por Favor"
    "Watch out for anything that ssssslliittherzzz"
    "Launch control, LV....Go ahead....All video recorders off."

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    I'm glad that you have an interest concerning postal delivery, mousephreak. We've needed better mail service for some time now. Therefore, with the power vested in me it is of great delight that I dub thee, Head Post Office Dude of Random. Arrise and start licking those stamps! We're backed up, and time is money.
    If you won the lottery what would you do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Buy a bunch of monkeys and have them re-enact the Civil War for my amusement.

• Yeah...I'm cool

I agree with you Max, but I read another side to it.

This guy buys a lot of property in LA and Hawaii, and has been under fire for years for evicting many people with only 30 day notice in order to sell the properties at huge profits. The neighbors of the properties he is giving to these people claim he is doing it to drive their values as well as the neighborhoods values down. The, he will by up more properties at discounts.

I think it was in the LA Times today.

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by spunkymonkey View Post

This guy buys a lot of property in LA and Hawaii, and has been under fire for years for evicting many people with only 30 day notice in order to sell the properties at huge profits. The neighbors of the properties he is giving to these people claim he is doing it to drive their values as well as the neighborhoods values down. The, he will by up more properties at discounts.

Geesh Spunk, way to be a downer. Why don't you tell me the tooth fairy is really my Dad in a ballet outfit with stripper glitter makeup?

• Yeah...I'm cool

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer View Post
    Geesh Spunk, way to be a downer. Why don't you tell me the tooth fairy is really my Dad in a ballet outfit with stripper glitter makeup?
    Hey, when I put $$ under my kids pillows, I just wear my regular clothes.... But whatever your Dad is into......

• That Guy

Hey, when I put $$ under my kids pillows, I just wear my regular clothes.... But whatever your Dad is into......

Wait! You GOT money? I just got slapped in the face with a dead cod. Damn, I thought I had the ideal childhood, and you're changing everything.

• In Blackberry Rehab

Being of Hawaiian descent, it's sad to know that many of the natives have to live that way.

`A`ohe lokomaika`i i nele i ke pāna`i!

honk if you see me at disneyland!

• For You!

I think it's a lovely gesture - but what would the utilities be in a 5 million dollar home?? If it has all the amenities of a big house, couldn't that get pricey?

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Banned User

I wish I hadn't read that...

• That Guy

I wonder about that too? The article said she couldn't afford an increase in rent, I wonder about the utilities? You know they have hot tubs, pools, etc. I would be they subsidize the costs. They probably also have a pretty thick contract, and I would bet they pay for a maid, etc. They don't want the house to get run down.

E pili mau na pomaika`i ia `oe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast