Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Sshhh, being very quiet

How long for YOUR lunch?

My current job gives me 30 minutes for lunch. This is the first job I've ever had in the 12 years I've been working that I've not had a 1 hour lunch? So it's a bit new to me.

I disagree with 30 minute lunch. I mean, take today for instance. It took me about 20 minutes to drive to the Subway (love Subway) get my food then drive back to the office. Leaving a little under 10 minutes to eat.

Of course, the up side is that 30 minute lunch encourages bringing lunch from home, which saves $$$.

But what also gets me is that if there is a lunch meeting or birthday lunch or something and it goes OVER 30 minutes...I have to stay over however long the lunch was. Even if its a business meeting!

Bottom line. I really don't think 30 minutes is enough for lunch.

• Queen of Sarcasm

Re: How long for YOUR lunch?

That is true. At the grocery store and the insurance office I had an hour lunch. I was able to get my food and eat it at a slow pace. At Disneyland you have half an hour to get from your location to the Inn Between or wherever you get your food and haul it all the way back to where you work. That wasn't near enough time considering while you are walking you are stopped by tons of people asking questions and when you finally get there the people working the counter can sometimes be slow as well as the people working the registers. I considered it a good day being at Buzz or Space because it was near the Inn Between but hated being at Autopia because it was so far away.

• no flash photography...

I have a 30 minute lunch by choice. I work 8am to 4:30pm. I like getting off earlier. i used to work 8-5 with the hour lunch and I would egt so bored during that hour. IMO an hour is to long.

We do have a cafeteria and if I want to go out I usually call my order in ahead of time and just pick it up...

• That Guy

That policy sucks, you should quit.

My lunch is anywhere from 30 minutes, to three hours, depending on the need. If I take a 30 minute lunch, it's because I brought my lunch, and I will leave 30 minutes earlier that day.

If I am at a working lunch, AKA business lunch, I don't count that against me. If I am sitting at my desk, or eating lunch while meeting, I don't consider that a lunch at all, and will leave an hour earlier.

I highly recommend setting your president as early as possible. If employers see that you don't care, they will take advantage of you.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

I don't get a lunch break. they don't like for us to eat or sleep at work...it interferes with them trying to break our spirit.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

I get paid during my lunch. I basically just eat it and then go back to work.

But my office is over 3 miles from anywhere there is to eat (in the hills) so if I did go get something it'd take me 10 minutes there, 10 minutes back and 10-15 minutes to eat it.

I bring my lunch daily. It's cheaper that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchy-poo View Post
    I don't get a lunch break. they don't like for us to eat or sleep at work...it interferes with them trying to break our spirit.
    Huh? You don't get a lunch? Uh...isn't that illegal? Do you work 8 hour days?

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer View Post
    That policy sucks, you should quit.
    Ha, yeah....working on that...believe me!

• Minion

I went from a 30 min. lunch at Blockbuster to an hour at Cingular Wireless. I like that extra half an hour!

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

At the hospital I work 12 hour shifts and get... 30 minutes for lunch. We are also suspose to have 2 15 minute breaks, but I almost never take those.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

•   
    • Jester of Randomness

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by claribella View Post
    [/COLOR][/B]
    Yes, that is illegal. The Labor Relation Board would have a field day with that.

all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    At the hospital I work 12 hour shifts and get... 30 minutes for lunch. We are also suspose to have 2 15 minute breaks, but I almost never take those.
    But you probably also work 4 days a week right? That is how the P.D. does it to. I LOVED that schedule. If I would time it right...I would get a WHOLE week off but not use any sick or VC time.

•   
    • Jester of Randomness

Blog Entries

Actually the real full time employees work 3 days a week for full time. I am considered full time but I do around 48 hours a pay period, which is two weeks.

• Bring Me Two Piña Coladas

Quote Originally Posted by claribella View Post
    My current job gives me 30 minutes for lunch. This is the first job I've ever had in the 12 years I've been working that I've not had a 1 hour lunch? So it's a bit new to me.

I disagree with 30 minute lunch. I mean, take today for instance. It took me about 20 minutes to drive to the Subway (love Subway) get my food then drive back to the office. Leaving a little under 10 minutes to eat.

Of course, the up side is that 30 minute lunch encourages bringing lunch from home, which saves $$$.

But what also gets me is that if there is a lunch meeting or birthday lunch or something and it goes OVER 30 minutes...I have to stay over however long the lunch was. Even if its a business meeting!

Bottom line. I really don't think 30 minutes is enough for lunch.

mine are between 30min - 4 hours
    Three-time MVP Larry Bird, noting that Bryant has been the NBA's premier player for years, told Sports Illustrated's Dan Patrick before this week's announcement, "When someone told me the other day that Kobe hadn't won an MVP trophy, it sort of made me feel like I wanted to throw mine away."

• Clearing my Calendar

When I worked at PetSmart I had a 30 minute lunch and two 15 minute breaks. In Vegas I never took any break as I prefered to groom right through and leave just as I got done grooming and cleaning (which was always about 15-20 minutes after the end of my shift anyway). I would eat a granola bar or something in between dogs or while waiting for a late appointment. If I took those breaks I'd be there a whole hour later AND be late on my dogs. Both scenarios that neither I nor my customers wanted.

When I moved to Georgia, everything changed. This district was (is) very strict and tight about making sure you take a break. Which is nice in case people feel like they HAVE to work straight through. But, instead of pulling 8 1/2 hour - 9/12 hour days I was used to in Vegas, I routinely pulled 11 hour days! At the measly pay PetSmart (TIP YOUR GROOMER!!!) gives comission rate at - it was insane.

Now I work six hour days (Yup! 6! ) so I'll eat fruit or something in between customers but I don't feel the need for a full on lunch.

Personally, I think an hour is too long. 45 minutes is a nice amount of time to get somewhere, eat, and relax before heading back to the grind if you need a lunch at all. I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I had to sit and twiddle my thumbs for an extra 30 minutes after being so used to a 30 minute lunch. I wouldn't be able to justify being in the break room for that time period if I could have been home 30 minutes earlier that evening.
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

• Disappearing/Reappearing

yeah, I work 8 hour shifts....but, I guess they figure since we aren't hussle and bustle all the time, we can eat when we want....still, it'd be nice just to step away for a few minutes of quiet.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast