Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

Question Luggage, what do you do?

Carry on or check in? My brother is deathly afraid of checking any luggage he fears he'll lose it. I never pack enough to require checking it on. What do you do? Ever lost a suitcase?

• A Pirate's life for me!

Re: Luggage, what do you do?

I've never lost any luggage since I don't check it in. Knock on wood.

The only time that I ever did was when I flew to Florida, and even then the only bag that I checked contained clothing only. All of the other important stuff, I carried on.

I feel bad for those folks that experience lost luggage. What a PITA that must be...

Good luck!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

we usually check a bag and carry on a bag. its mostly clothes in the check on, all medications and things we MUST have go in the carry on, but knock on wood, we've never had our luggage go missing.
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• I was deleted.

I fly often since I visit yoyo often and vise versa. If it's for a weekend I don't check luggage, but if its for a week I do. I make sure all important things in my carry on bag and check the clothing. I get lucky I guess, but TSA has REALLY beat up my Disney luggage to the point where it was new in Jan of 2005 and now the plastic lining is cracked and in pieces inside to the point where I really think my suitcase will fall apart when I use it! But yoyo doesn't usually check luggage. Then again I think he packs less than I do too.

I have had to come real close to checking my small roller bag so I have stopped using it for most trips or just checking it anyway. It's quite the hastle to try to find room for it in the overhead bins since so many travelers put even the smallest bags up above when I put mine below.

I've also become quite used to security with their liquids or should I say, no liquids rules... is it really that difficult?!

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

I do both. Important, valuable stuff in the carry-on, clothing and all of the other necessities in the check-in. We've had our luggage sent on the wrong plane before, but it wasn't that big of a deal, since the airline was able to get it sent to us without too much of delay (and this was in 1995...we were going to Pittsburg, our luggage ended up in Texas).

But another word of caution, don't expect your pretty new luggage to look totally pretty on the other end. I had bright pink luggage during the MiceChat WDW Invasion. Beautiful, Barbie pink. When the luggage was dropped off in our room in FL, there was black ick all over the front of my big wheelie suitcase. It looked like my bag had rubbed up against some really dirty container, or was dragged, front-side-down, in a muddy puddle. I never wrote a letter of complaint to Disney nor the airline (even though I really should have....GRR me for being a wimp sometimes!) but I didn't know who did it. The airline, or Disney Express. If I had paid more for the luggage, I would have been even more upset, but since I only paid $45 for it at Marshalls (a great place to get luggage, BTW!), I can live with the fact that it got icked.

But a word of advice, if you're going to check your luggage, and you want to lock it, BE SURE to get the TSA approved locks (The airports have a master key that they can use to unlock the TSA locks if need be). All other locks not approved by the TSA MUST be taken off for the baggage to be allowed to be on the plane. You can get the locks at Target for like, $8. Totally worth it. Get them.

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

My family flies stand-by since my husband flies for JetBlue. Because we never know if we are going to get on a flight, we always use carry-on. Each one of us has our own roller bag and we place it in the over head compartment. Then my husband and I each have a backpack that we put all the food and entertainment for the kids in. That fits under the seat. Since we each just have one small bag, we can't put much in it. In our pictures we are wearing a lot of the same clothes, but that is a small price to pay for the comfort of knowing you won't lose your luggage.

• Directly directed

Carry on. why chance it?

• no flash photography...

When I go to vegas or short flights/weekend trips all my stuff fits in the carry on. When I go for longer periods of time I check in my large suit case (clothes) and carry on my camera and anything else I don't want lost.

Yes, they did loose one of my bags when I came back from NY. I filed a claim and it was delivered to my door step the next day.

• Still wants to be a cat!

Have lost luggage 3 different times. Once from Canada to Cancun, once from WDW to LA and once from LA to North Carolina. Always returned within a day or two. Heck the great part is if your arriving at your vacation destination you can shop on the Airlines tab for a few things you need till your luggage arrives.

Again I only pack clothes in checked bags, all else is in carry on!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• no flash photography...

I don't know i this is true, because they found my bag, but I heard if it is lost they will give you $1000.00. That would be cool, because I would have no where near that value of clothing in my luggage.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    I don't know i this is true, because they found my bag, but I heard if it is lost they will give you $1000.00. That would be cool, because I would have no where near that value of clothing in my luggage.
    Seeing as Delta will only give you a part of the value of damaged luggage, I doubt that is true.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I haven't flown since before 9/11. What I plan on doing next time, like if I go on a long weekend trip, is have my carry-on, then as soon as I get to where I'm going, I'll stop at the first Target I see and get trial-sizes of the things I need (shampoo/conditioner, hairspray, lotion, etc) and just toss them on the day I head back home. Easier spending an extra $5 or so at the store than worrying about lost luggage.

• Minion

I'v only checked once.
    I usually pack a duffel bag of clothes
    and i bring a packpack with my ipod, a change of clothes just in case, my pillow and anything else to keep me occupied on the flight
    I haven't flown since August, and in December i got a laptop, so flying may be a little nicer for me for now on

• Minion

I used to be really afraid of checking my bag but started doing it when the liquid restrictions came up last August, which also happens to be about the time I got sick of dragging the luggage through stop overs (if you've ever had to pass through Houston you know what I'm talking about...). 6 trips since I started doing this and I haven't lost a bag (knocks on wood). However, it is nerve racking standing at the carousel after the flight and I do have to get to the airport a little earlier. If it were a weekend trip I wouldn't bother with checking my bag.

Everyone above is right, don't check the valuables or anything you will need later that day. Don't check a laptop, the airlines won't cover it if damaged. But some of the benefits of checking: no hoisting the bag up in the overhead, no battling with other passengers for over head space, and I think I get through security a little quicker.

• Banned User

I carry on only. My brother works for United, so I always fly standby - I may get a seat on the flight or I may not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast