Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Winter in Oceanside...

Big City Living VS. Small Town Living??

I have pretty much lived in urban or suburban areas all my life. I have always been in areas where you are close to every service you can think of - from Big Box stores and malls, to any kind of restaurant you can think of, to main attractions like Disneyland or just interesting places to visit like San Francisco, Lake Tahoe, the beaches and the mountains.

Yet along with these conveniences comes the disadvantages of "big city" living: traffic, smog, overcrowding, crime, gangs, expensive housing, etc.

What do you think are the advantages to living in a small town? And do you think a suburban girl could make the change and not go stir crazy? Anyone have any experience with this kind of change?

• Man O Lantern

Re: Big City Living VS. Small Town Living??

I lived in a teeny tiny town for five years in high school and 10 years during/post college and I hate living in small towns. At least the town I lived in in college was just ten miles from the nearest Nordstrom/Gap/Starbucks, but it sucked. I was an hour from the coast, an hour from Portland, and we dealt with it.

I don't like small town politics and....there's no variety. Lots of competition and ridiculous rumors and small minds. It would be a very exceptionally rare small town that could break out of that mold.

But the restaurants can be a lot better than suburban chain places, believe it or not!

• Winter in Oceanside...

Interesting, Stinkerbell. Those are some points I hadn't really thought of. Thanks! So it really isn't Mayberry? No, I'm not that naive.

• Gay Man

I couldn't do it. I could have a "place in the country" or a "cabin in the woods" as long as I had my urban life to return to. Nature plays a HUGE part in my sense of well-being, and I have to recognize and give in to it once in a while. However, what energizes me is the culture, diversity, pace, excitement and lifestyle of living in a city. I would probably go crazy within 6 months. Heck, I couldn't stand the sameness of living in Orange County!

• Winter in Oceanside...

Quote Originally Posted by Not Afraid View Post
    Heck, I couldn't stand the sameness of living in Orange County!
    Another debate... another time. But try living out here in the "sticks" of the Inland Empire!

• is on the rocks

Quote Originally Posted by Not Afraid View Post
    I couldn't do it. I could have a "place in the country" or a "cabin in the woods" as long as I had my urban life to return to. Nature plays a HUGE part in my sense of well-being, and I have to recognize and give in to it once in a while. However, what energizes me is the culture, diversity, pace, excitement and lifestyle of living in a city. I would probably go crazy within 6 months. Heck, I couldn't stand the sameness of living in Orange County!
    Oh, I dunno - I like OC. Then again, I'm in Brea so I'm right on the border of OC and LA county. I like the convenience of having things right there. Brea is perfect for me - far enough away from hugely congested, ridiculously overpriced cities (think L.A. proper for the former, beach cities for the latter), yet big enough to have all the conveniences pretty close by. It's a good compromise for me.

I wouldn't mind getting away somewhere isolated once in a while. But on a permanent basis? No way.
    She did it!

• Gay Man

I'm in Long Beach, so it's not like I'm in the heart of Downtown or the "westside" proper, but I'm close enough to the action and haven a decent amount of action in my home town.

I spent 10 years working for the City of Irvine (and I grew up in Huntington Beach) and the sameness was far to sterile for my liking - especially in Irvine. Everyone always commented about the safety factor, but the only person I've even known personally to be murdered was murdered in her home in Irvine......statistics be damned. But, I realize it is a matter of personal preference. For me, parts of OC can seem to suck the life out of me.

Back OT.....my brother and sister both live in pretty rural environments. My brother in a town just outside the gates of Yosemite and my sister in a tiny, tiny town on the North coast of California. I visit them often and I love both areas, but I'd be seeking out the city pretty fast if I lived there full-time.

• Banned User

I live just outside of Seattle and spent most of my life living in Phoenix. I know for a fact that I'd be bored stiff in a small town. My sis lives in one and when I would visit....I'd get stir crazy!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I lived in the Big City and now live in a small town...Actually I live in the country and am surrounded by small towns.

The benefits of Small towns is that there is no traffic, less amounts of pollution in the air, and you can escape the hustle and bustle of the big city.

The draw backs is that most stores are located in the big city so you have to drive quite awhile to get to a local shopping center.

• For You!

I think you need to find a happy medium. I've lived in Phoenix - hated it. Too much crime, people - oh yeah, and heat!! I now live in Idaho Falls and it's just right. We still don't have all the big restaurants or stores, but we have enough and the traffic isn't bad, and I can walk to the park without fearing for my life!

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Man O Lantern

I live in a city, very close to downtown and can walk to 5 parks without risking my life.

I can even walk the three miles to Saks without a problem. Except that I don't wanna.

• Winter in Oceanside...

BFJen: Idaho Falls has about 50,000 people, right? I would consider that a "small(ish) town". I mean the place has to have at least one big chain grocery store! I'm not looking for a farm in the middle of Idaho and my nearest neighbor is miles away!

Anyone else out there in small-ish towns that can weigh in on the subject?

• For You!

Yep, around 50,000 and growing fast - we do have a wal-mart, gap, olive garden, etc. We also have fly fishing, lakes and skiing within 5-20 minutes.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

This is from Wikipedia. (And you think Corona is the "sticks" of the Inland Empire? )

Yucca Valley is in San Bernardino County, California, United States. The population was 16,865 at the 2000 census. However, the town's highway sign lists the current population at 25,500.
    Even this is to big for me. I like rural. I like having almost no one around me. Unfortunatly, where I live isen't it anymore. They are still building houses at a rampant pace (but down from the 1000+ a month they were doing for a while). I don't mind being within driving distace to civilization, but I don't want to be in the middle of it. We have a Wal Mart, we have a Starbucks, and they have started to break ground on a Home Depot. We are growing to much, to fast. I hate the traffic, I hate the congestion....with all the building they've been doing we are probably pushing closer to 40,000 now. I want my sleepy little desert rat town back.

500 acres in the middle of Alaska is looking pretty good. But... I'd be to far away from Disneyland.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Hello there

Blog Entries

I couldn't live in a rural area. I like the fact that I can walk to the drug store on one corner and a 7-11 on the other, Dunkin Donuts, Bagel shop, laundramat and Chinese food around the corner. Everything is in walking distance.
    My grandma lives in a rural town in upstate NY. Last population census had 4,000 people living there. She has chickens! I visit her about 1 a month. I like it as a get away from the city, but I couldn't live there. The whole town closes like at 7PM. Seriously, nothing to do.

Not for me!
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast