Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Eternal Dreamer

Life in Anaheim/Orlando

I'm curious to know what life is like for those who live near Disneyland or Walt Disney World. I'm weighing a decision of which to move to and I wanted to know what life is like in these places. I'm guessing you spend a lot of time at Disney. Do you ever get tired of it? What about the people? Is it easy to meet new people and find good friends? What do you do outside of Disney? I'm guessing that for Orlando, there is much more to do at Disney while in Anaheim, there's more to do elsewhere? What are the neighborhoods like? Thanks!
    Sometimes our dreams are all we have...

• Minion

Re: Life in Anaheim/Orlando

Quote Originally Posted by MerHearted View Post
    I'm curious to know what life is like for those who live near Disneyland or Walt Disney World. I'm weighing a decision of which to move to and I wanted to know what life is like in these places. I'm guessing you spend a lot of time at Disney. Do you ever get tired of it? What about the people? Is it easy to meet new people and find good friends? What do you do outside of Disney? I'm guessing that for Orlando, there is much more to do at Disney while in Anaheim, there's more to do elsewhere? What are the neighborhoods like? Thanks!
    If you have the money, Southern California is a great place to live
    Everyones friendly
    And everythings expensive

Left the church, but not the parishioners.

We live in Garden Grove, near the border of Anaheim. Our place is about 2 miles from DL, and we love it. We can see the fireworks from our upstairs balcony.

We do go to the park often, but not often enough to "get tired" of it. The biggest advantage to living close - we can run over to the park for a couple hours after work to blow off steam, and still be home in time to make a quick dinner (if we decide to not eat at the park).

The neighborhood that we live in is nice, and we can walk down the street at any hour without a problem. We have the cheapest gasoline in the LA/OC area, and there are some great shops and restaurants besides those that are near the resort.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Housing in Orlando is WAY cheaper than Anaheim. A $200k house in Orlando would cost $500k or more in Ahaheim.

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Housing in Orlando is WAY cheaper than Anaheim. A $200k house in Orlando would cost $500k or more in Ahaheim.
    Unless you decide to live in Celebration, FL... that place is nice and expensive!
    -Tim

• insufferable know-it-all

How old are you and what do you do for a living? That will have a HUGE influence on what makes sense for you.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• This space for rent

I love living here in Orlando. I've been here almost 8 yrs. I live in SouthWest Orlando. The neighborhood I live in and the others nearby are very low on crime and overall pretty quiet, calm, and normal. I'm only minutes away from the parks, and I really don't get burned out on them because instead of having to spend the whole day there, I can just go to do a ride or 2, catch a show, just to take pics or video of something, or even just to grab a bite to eat.

I also like that there are so many backroads here in my area that I don't really have to rely on I-4 or any of the other more heavily traveled roads in the area to get to the places I want to go to.

Outside of the parks themselves there's a few different shopping/dining entertainment complexes nearby such as DownTown Disney, CityWalk, Pointe Orlando, Old Town, The Loop, also there's a decent amount of outlet plazas/centers for shopping, as well as 2 pretty decent sized malls not too far away. There's plenty of bars and nightclubs around too, if you're into them.

It shouldn't be too hard to make friends around here for you, I would think it would depend on your personality and the type of things you're into than more than anything else.

• Eternal Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon View Post
    How old are you and what do you do for a living? That will have a HUGE influence on what makes sense for you.
    I'm 25 and a software engineer. Not sure I wanna stay in IT but for now, that's where I am. And I am NOT looking to settle down anytime soon.
    Sometimes our dreams are all we have...

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Now is actually the time to buy a house/condo if you're so inclined to do so. Values have been declining so it's totally a "buyer's market" at the moment.

Me... I'll stick to renting. I live alone and I don't need too much room. I have a good sized 2 bedroom apartment (well, technically condo as my complex converted about 4 months after I moved in... but the market is so bad they can't sell so they just keep renting them out) in a nice neighborhood and it's perfect.

• insufferable know-it-all

Tough call.

In your line of work, there are plenty of jobs in SoCal for you, but cost of living is significantly higher than Orlando. On the other hand, our weather is better here in California (less humidity!)

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Circle of Ancients

Yeah, SoCal is definately a hot-bed for the Software industry. Heck, all of California is.

In order to be able to live by yourself (semi-comfortably), and afford rent in CA you would need to make at least $60,000 a year. If you can swing that we'd love to have you!!!

And yeah, making friends, with this group, not a problem. Swing by a meet some Sunday, introduce yourself and you'll be hanging out in no time.

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Orange County, California: The weather is good. The traffic is bad. The entertainment is great. The crime is low (except for a few impoverished areas). The housing prices are very high. The job market is strong. The beach is close. The mountains are an hour away.
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    This device kills fascists.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

AND from what I understand, to add to Steamboatpete's info, Anaheim is not nearly as HUMID as Orlando...

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MerHearted View Post
    Move to California.

We have the parks, beaches, mountains. We have a lot of Tourist attractions that still can be fun if seen more than once. We do get earthquakes, but very small ones in Southern California. It does get 100+ Degrees sometimes here during the summer.

I'm guessing you spend a lot of time at Disney.
    I do. Most people on this forum who are 1 to 1 1/2 hours away from Disneyland go often and most people have an Annual Pass.

Do you ever get tired of it?

NEVER! Disneyland is like a shopping mall because sometimes we just go to hang out for 3 hours and leave.

Is it easy to meet new people and find good friends?
    95% of the people are friendly.

I'm guessing that for Orlando, there is much more to do at Disney while in Anaheim, there's more to do elsewhere?
    Correct, but Disneyland will expand to be as big as Walt Disney World in about 20-30 years.

What are the neighborhoods like?
    Every neighborhood has its ups and downs but most neighbors are friendly and most neighborhoods are Track homes but are quite expensive.

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Quote Originally Posted by barfownz View Post
    We do get earthquakes, but very small ones in Southern California. It does get 100+ Degrees sometimes here during the summer.
    Our "small" earthquakes can exceed 7 on the Richter Scale (i.e., Long Beach 1933, Tehachapi 1952, Landers 1992), but to be fair, most of the big ones of the last 30 years have been "only" in the 5.0-6.7 range (Whittier Narrows, Northridge ...)

http://www.data.scec.org/clickmap.html

Quote Originally Posted by barfownz View Post
    Correct, but Disneyland will expand to be as big as Walt Disney World in about 20-30 years.
    Disneyland will never be as big as WDW in Florida. The company does not own or control enough land, and land values and entrenched ownership make it a virtual impossibility that the company ever will own or control enough land to develop its Anaheim park/hotel system into anything nearly as large as the Florida operations.
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    This device kills fascists.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast