• Fire Fighter

6 37.50%
  • EMT

3 18.75%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Who loves a Police Officer, Fire Fighter or EMT?

I was just wondering how many people here on MC have family and friends that are police officers, fire fighters or EMT's? I know that choosing one of these professions isn't as much of a career choice as it is something you are born to do. Since this is the case, how do you learn to cope with and handle the situations that these fine people put themselves into on a daily basis?
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• Time Traveler

Re: Who loves a Police Officer, Fire Fighter or EMT?

My grandfather is a retired Police Sargent. He was in the police force for about 35 years.
    I hate robots...

One Annual Pass-$365 379
    Gas For Car- $60
    Meeting Billy Goat Bob- Priceless

• Minion

2 of my cousins are paramedics. And another cousin (not on the same side of the family) is a firefighter.

• A Pirate's life for me!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDan24 View Post
    My grandfather is a retired Police Sargent. He was in the police force for about 35 years.

Hey Dan,

Which Dept?

Quote Originally Posted by justjohn View Post
    I know that choosing one of these professions isn't as much of a career choice as it is something you are born to do.

VERY true.

You can spot the ones that got into it for "other reasons" fairly quick. Thankfully, most of those get out of the field one way or the other...(resign or terminated)

I started wanting to get into LE around the age of 12. Jumped into it as an Explorer Scout at 14. And went on from there.

No regrets...

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMickey View Post
    VERY true.

You can spot the ones that got into it for "other reasons" fairly quick. Thankfully, most of those get out of the field one way or the other...(resign or terminated)

I started wanting to get into LE around the age of 12. Jumped into it as an Explorer Scout at 14. And went on from there.

No regrets...
    So your a police officer then?

I have a friend who's husband just got his first job with as a fire fighter. She and the kids are having a bit of a rough time with the danger aspects of the job. How does your family cope with it?
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

My boyfriend is a police officer. Even though I started dating him before he wore a badge, he'd pretty much had it coming. He's always been involved with the police department-starting as an Explorer, and then a Cadet - and while I am extremely proud of him, it is also one of the most humbling things you can go through.

From the stories he's told me, to the phone calls in the middle of the night, nothing can prepare you for what your significant other is going through, nor for how you can be there to support them. It takes a special kind of person to do the job a police officer, fire fighter, or EMT does...and it takes a special kind of family to support those individuals. These people are never off duty, and all of their loved ones are affected by this. It's a joint effort, and you learn to always support eachother, because you never know when you're going to get to see them again.

• Senior Minion

In the early 80's my dad worked for the Sheriff's dept, working as a reserve and later on the Coroner's office. Many a story on that job, but to graphic to tell. He quit when they did pat-down searches for needles and syringes.

My Uncle was everything you could throw at him, scuba for the Sheriff's dept, balif, patrol and then finally homicide detective.
    He is semi retired and does Lie detector tests for the new recruits now. Many stories he has shared with me.

My mother was a nurse and she could tell you some stories about all the rival gangs at the emergency doors. Talk about "Hairy" situations. Yikes.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Quote Originally Posted by justjohn View Post
    So your a police officer then?

I have a friend who's husband just got his first job with as a fire fighter. She and the kids are having a bit of a rough time with the danger aspects of the job. How does your family cope with it?

Quite a few of the family members are also LE, from Police Assistant's, Dispatcher's, rank & file, and brass all the way up to Deputy Chief.

It's never easy, and there is always the possibility that someone might not ever come home, but you can't harp on that. I'm not saying be laxidasical about it, but you can't stress over it all of the time either.

Good communication helps out a lot. As well as not taking your job home with you.

It helped that my wife and I first met in jail...But on the RIGHT side of the bars! hehe

Quote Originally Posted by TicTocDragon View Post
    He is semi retired and does Lie detector tests for the new recruits now.

That's a great gig! And a safe one, too.

Thanks for sharing.

I did backgrounds for a while. Some folks have interesting pasts...

• Time Traveler

Hey Dan,

Which Dept?
    Hayward of course.
    I hate robots...

One Annual Pass-$365 379
    Gas For Car- $60
    Meeting Billy Goat Bob- Priceless

• Senior Minion

That's a great gig! And a safe one, too.

Thanks for sharing.

I did backgrounds for a while. Some folks have interesting pasts...
    Yea, some of the recruits he interviewed shared some of the questions. Some are hilarious!
    My uncle travels around a bit to better his craft... when he doesn't have a golf club in his hands.
    He has one case before he retired that he will never solve, because the evidence wasn't enough.
    I can remember when my dad had this pager the size of a toaster for when he worked for the coroner's office. The thing would go off like a atomic bomb siren, and you couldn't help but think some morbid thoughts of who he would pick up next.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• I was deleted.

My cousin has been trying for over a year to become a Firefighter in the city he grew up in, but hasn't been very successful so I think he finally gave up trying.

• Man O Lantern

Um. My father-in-law, two aunts and an uncle work for the postal service?

Not the same.

My dad was in the Coast Guard, and did search and rescue. I used to get so nervous about that.

Then when I was teenager, he assisted in some drug/weapons busts. He only told me about it (I'm sure not the complete story), because I was friends with the son of one of the fishing boat capt. he busted and I wasn't allowed over to their house anymore.

So to those currently dealing with a loved one in a dangerous service field, I salute you!

• Waiting for the stork

My Husband is in the fire academy right now.

He is also working in Emergency services.

and yes it is very hard sometimes, but also quite an amazing thing to watch. I feel very much like he didn't necessarily chose this, it's just what he's sopposed to do...it's a long story, and I wont bore you all with it right now, but we have been together 14 years, and this has always lingered in the background...

It's a whole new life, with such different emotions and feelings, i never imagined.

good thread JJ
    procrastibating

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast