• Huh?

Anyone want to join me in a learning goal?

Yeah, a little inspired by the weight loss thread...

The thing is, many of us need the same kind of encouragement for something we are currently studying, whether if it's for college, fun, or profit. Learning is tough, even when you have deep interest.

We might not be able to help, but maybe some of us can help you google answers you're looking for when you're having trouble.

For me, my current studies are in Photography and Japanese.

I went through a year of Japanese classes -- everything my college had to offer. I then took about 2 quarters off of the Japanese studies because several things got in the way. Now I'm currently doing review to catch me up to where I was a few months ago. I'm glad I'm doing this now because I can still read and understand fairly well, so best to get back into it before I need to relearn everything. But, with my ADD, I can get distracted easily and just completely forget to study regularly. So, if I haven't been studying, I just really need a big kick or something.

Photography isn't so much of a problem right now. I usually remember to do things best when I'm in a class and I keep on it a lot when I've got a class and have the pressure of a grade on me.

So, what are your current studies? What kind of help and encouragement are you needing?
    -Tim

• Beep Beep!

Re: Anyone want to join me in a learning goal?

I'm also doing quite a bit of studying in the art of photography right now. I've also always wanted to learn Japanese, just never had the time.
    HDAlien

-----------------------------------------------------
    "I dream of the day when you can go to a drive through, purchase alcohol, tobacco, and bullets, and use them all before you get home" -- Dogbert

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by HDAlien View Post
    I'm also doing quite a bit of studying in the art of photography right now.
    You going to school for it or self-teaching?
    -Tim

• Beep Beep!

Just self teaching right now, though my wife is helping me out a lot.
    HDAlien

-----------------------------------------------------
    "I dream of the day when you can go to a drive through, purchase alcohol, tobacco, and bullets, and use them all before you get home" -- Dogbert

• Huh?

You should join MC Photographers on Gold... we've got lots of help for you there, too.
    -Tim

• Senior Minion

I am working on 3 papers, but my major paper is for my capstone on Robin Hood and how the legend is presented to children. I thought it would be easy, but it's not so easy, really. Typing the facts and such is easy, but relating it is hard. 20 pages min.

I'm also working on a paper on the "unsinkable" molly Brown and all that she used her status as a Titanic survivor to accomplish for what she believed in.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• Huh?

Wow... I thought you would've been done with that Robin Hood paper by now!

I understand how hard that could be, though. You're looking at a few hundred years of legends, after all.
    -Tim

• Say no to Assimilation

Quote Originally Posted by Joshrzmeup View Post
    I am working on 3 papers, but my major paper is for my capstone on Robin Hood and how the legend is presented to children. I thought it would be easy, but it's not so easy, really. Typing the facts and such is easy, but relating it is hard. 20 pages min.

I'm also working on a paper on the "unsinkable" molly Brown and all that she used her status as a Titanic survivor to accomplish for what she believed in.
    I feel your pain. The rough draft of my research paper on the political public sphere is due Friday. I have spent the last three days for a combined 20 hours writing the paper. This does not count the hours of research I did for this thing.
    "He who knows only his own side of the case, knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them. But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side; if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion" --John Stuart Mill

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum View Post
    Wow... I thought you would've been done with that Robin Hood paper by now!

I understand how hard that could be, though. You're looking at a few hundred years of legends, after all.
    Not yet, a draft of 5 pages is due today and then another draft of 10 pages is due soon.
    I've got 6 pages done so far, but it's hard when you get interupted every 5 minutes, so i'm trying to work on them more in the mornings before school when no one is home.
    But I also have a 7 page paper (with a ton of required resources - just started writing today) and a 12 page music paper (have 7 pages done) all due in mid-april.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• Senior Minion

While in school I managed to get away from Geometry. So now for a promotional exam I'm brushing up on my math and doing a bit every day ... I'd rather be studying Calculus again though ... I found it much easier then Geometry.

• Huh?

Wish I can say the same... I got an A in Geometry. I nearly failed pre-calculus.
    -Tim

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum View Post
    Wish I can say the same... I got an A in Geometry. I nearly failed pre-calculus.
    Actually Pre-Calculus was something I hated as well. I ended up getting a D in that. But I had started a group to petition for a summer Calculus class so I could transfer a bit quicker ... and I figured it wouldn't look good if the person who got the summer Calculus on the books wouldn't go ... so I went.

I got a B in the class, but I did enjoy it quite a bit.

• I'd rather be @ D-land

The advice I have given people has been: Set up a reward for yourself that has nothing to do with the task.
    When I was going thru college, I knew that a degree would increase my income potential. But that is not what got through nights of cramming for exams or writing papers. I promissed myself a trip to Europe when I graduated and thinking about that is what motivated me to bust through the next task. Like the weight goal; I know that clothes will fit better when I'm smaller, but the promiss of an annual pass if I lose 20 lbs will get me past the cookies.