Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

sydney will be in darkness

to help reduce global warming, Sydney will spend an hour on saturday night with the lights out. They are turning off all the office buildings in the city, and are asking everyone to join in...
    do you think it wil help the environment???

http://earthhour.smh.com.au/

Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    Tassie, I found a quote for ya !

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

Charles M. Schulz
    Originally Posted by MWalton
    Did the pages take that long to reach around to your part of the world?!?

•   
    • Senior Minion

Re: sydney will be in darkness

Sorry, I think that is ridiculous...

• Minion

me too. I don't see how it will help when there are so many factories in every country in the world (well, most) pumping out pollution.
    Apparently, they are even dimming the lights on the Sydney Harbour Bridge!

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

Charles M. Schulz

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I rather agree that it is ridiculous as well. And by the way wouldnt it make a greater impact to shut down major office buildings on a business day rather than a Saturday night?

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Senior Minion

About as sincere and effective as Al Gore and Leonardo DiCaprio declaring the Academy Awards a totally "green event" during the ceremony last month... I guess somebody forgot to tell the 900 limo drivers parked out front.

• Banned User

I have to chime in with my .02 and say that I too think it's really silly.

• Beep Beep!

It's silly, particularly when you look at the surge in electricity it will take when they power all the lights back on. It will erase any gain from having them off for an hour.
    HDAlien

-----------------------------------------------------
    "I dream of the day when you can go to a drive through, purchase alcohol, tobacco, and bullets, and use them all before you get home" -- Dogbert

• Bring Me Two Piña Coladas

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    I rather agree that it is ridiculous as well. And by the way wouldnt it make a greater impact to shut down major office buildings on a business day rather than a Saturday night?

--Barry

I agree!!! And if American corporations want to join in it would be even better, i'm sure oil/petrol companies can afford to.

And to add, i'm sure if the company I work for would give us a couple days off to turn off all electricity to save the earth, i'd be more than willing to take a couple paid days off

LET'S DO IT!! wahooooo...i mean, lets contribute to save our earth, after all I heard yesterday a Texas sized piece of Antartica is melting
    Three-time MVP Larry Bird, noting that Bryant has been the NBA's premier player for years, told Sports Illustrated's Dan Patrick before this week's announcement, "When someone told me the other day that Kobe hadn't won an MVP trophy, it sort of made me feel like I wanted to throw mine away."

• Circle of Ancients

Silly. It takes more than a hour to help the environment.

• Banned User

Not gonna work.

• The Unknown Princess

Too funny.

Yes, let's turn off the lights or dim them but then have everyone walk around with flashlights with disposable batteries.

Can you just imagine the bars and pubs that will do that but still have music playing? Or if they put candles to help the drunk people see?

Too many things. Thanks for the smile
    Always keep smiling because you never know who is falling in love with it.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Part of the Disney Ohana

--------------------------------------------------------

• Minion

I think it is rubbish!

• I'll pencil this in later

Come on, that is silly.. WHy not put there time into something that will REALY help our enviroment.. that will to squat, ridiculous.

• Helmsdad

This is a VERY inconsiderate thing to do to all the families of employees of power companies. If they continue to do these kinds of things PEOPLE WILL LOSE THEIR JOBS!

Power companies (and their respective employees) DEPEND on OUR POWER USAGE. They are a business and they are in business to MAKE MONEY!
    How do you think they pay for their vacations, raises, benefits and ability to hire new and MORE employees?

I always try to use AS MUCH POWER as I can afford. I do not want to be responsible for families of power companies losing their income and ending up possibly LIVING ON THE STREET -- Homeless (Think of the children!)

These people (Line Men, Secretaries, Pole People, etc.) NEED US to use power - let's all chip in and support these hard workers by using AS MUCH POWER as we can afford. Yes I have relatives who work in the power industry and if we STOP using power it WILL HURT THEM and others.

My town has a Christmas Light Contest every year to ENCOURAGE us to USE MORE POWER! The product they sell -- IS POWER! It is VERY Patriotic (no matter what country you are from) to use as much as you can possibly afford.

USE MORE for the employees, for your community, for the families and especially for the little children who DEPEND on our usage.

The more we use the more considerate and selfless (I know it does cost a little more) we are actually being. Does anyone really want to see another Jimmy Carter in a sweater on T.V. LECTURING to US about cutting down? Give me a break. As if his "sweater" actually did anything to save the world. Sorry for my big soapbox but I have very good friends and family who will be HURT if you stop using power.

If you stop using power you WILL HURT people. Gore and his big "carbon offsets" (AS IF) withstanding.

Thanks for reading my post.

Did I just say that?

• Minion

maybe they should have stopped all traffic for one hour... at least that would have saved vehicle emmisions

Charles M. Schulz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast