Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Tales from your childhood - the stores that are no more

We were having a discussion about old stores from our childhood that aren’t around anymore, which brought back some fun memories.

TG&Y – I used to go with my dad to Bank of America in the same shopping center as TG&Y on Friday evenings, and he’d take me in to get me a toy. Usually it was a balsa wood glider that I’d play with over the weekend until it’s tail would snap off, rendering the plane grounded.

Two Guys – Kinda like K-mart I guess. I vividly remember the Two Guys sign on the building and the lettering being sort of script looking. FedMart (the store with the red dot logo) bought out Two Guys, then Target bought out FedMart.

Akron – “Akron is the first and original, something for everybody, out of the ordinary store”

The Treasury – We never really went there, because it was I guess in my parents eyes a step down from K-mart, which is where we went. The Treasury was owned by JCPenney. I always liked going there because the stores’ architecture looked cool. Yes even as an 8 year old I knew what I liked architecture-wise.

Then ya had the department stores. Like Orbachs (never went there, it was an “expensive store”). Robinsons and May Co. (before they merged). My mom used to go with her lady friends to the Wilshire May Co. every so often for tea in their tea room. So fancy The Broadway. I always thought it was a store for women because my dad used to always call them “broads”

Then ya had the grocery stores. Mom used to shop at Hughes and again I vividly remember that store like it’s still there. She used to leave me in the car usually while she shopped. I remember once getting lost in that store and being so frightened. Then she switched to Alpha Beta (where the savings don’t stop – tell a friend). Next it was Lucky. My dad, again on some Friday nights after the bank and TG&Y run, would head over to Dales Jr. I always thought it was neat that a store was named after my dad, although he wasn’t a junior. I don’t remember what he bought there, but my guess is it was likker. I always got a slushie.

What are your childhood store memories from places that no longer exist?

Re: Tales from your childhood - the stores that are no more

Woolworth's!!

• Banned User

Ben Franklin.

I had Woolworths in mind too.

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

I remember going to Alpha Beta supermarkets with my mom. They had those old fashioned shopping carts that fold up so I would always sit on the bottom and go for a ride while my mom shopped. I also remember going to Fedco practically every Sunday after church with both of my parents.

Also "Showbiz", which was taken over by "Chuck e Cheese".

• no flash photography...

the only store I remember that is no more is gemco We would always go shopping there. One side was groceries, when we were done with that they would out a number on the cart and store it for us while we went tot he other side...which was kind of like a target. We would get toiletries and other stuff there...watches, film....after we were done we would drive around back show them out number and they would bring the grocery cart out.

• For old time sake

TG & Y. We would always go after church on Sunday's. We also had a Gemco (which is not Target off of Yorba Linda Blvd off the 57 freeway). I got lost there one time . People ALWAYS hung outside trying to give away puppies and kittens.
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • MC Director of Sales and Marketing

Blog Entries

My parents were big Gemco shoppers .. and sometimes we would also go to Zodys.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse princess View Post
    Of course I am worried about your mental health. I want happiness for all. Like we can all be like the Smurfs. But without Gargomel. He was mean.

• is on the rocks

Heehheee - this brings back memories!

When i was a child, we would go to Hinshaw's to buy my girl scout uniforms. We'd go into Broadway and Orbach's but I honestly don't remember much beyond walking around in the stores.

I remember TG&Y! I also used to LOVE J.J. Newberry's. The one we went to was sooo cool because instead of going upstairs from the ground level, you could go downstairs! I thought the basement was neat.

Before there was Target, my mom would shop for her household goods at Gemco and Fedco. For groceries, we'd shop at Hughes, Alpha-Beta, and The Boys markets.
    She did it!

• Hiding in the shadows

The one place I miss more than anything is Farrell's. Now I know there is a shell of one at Mountasia in Santa Clarita but trust me its not the same. Ice Cream Parties were so AWESOME, and it was always a nice treat, and the candy store up front, yummy!

The other place I miss (which I think happened to be in the same parking lot as the Farrells in the Valley) was Zodies.

Also, in general I miss drive in move theatres

• is on the rocks

Quote Originally Posted by MollyTrolly View Post
    The one place I miss more than anything is Farrell's. Now I know there is a shell of one at Mountasia in Santa Clarita but trust me its not the same. Ice Cream Parties were so AWESOME, and it was always a nice treat, and the candy store up front, yummy!

The other place I miss (which I think happened to be in the same parking lot as the Farrells in the Valley) was Zodies.

OMG, yes YES! I remember Farrell's and Zodies too! I had my 8th birthday at Farrell's!
    She did it!

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    the only store I remember that is no more is gemco We would always go shopping there. One side was groceries, when we were done with that they would out a number on the cart and store it for us while we went tot he other side...which was kind of like a target. We would get toiletries and other stuff there...watches, film....after we were done we would drive around back show them out number and they would bring the grocery cart out.
    Gemco for me to!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MollyTrolly View Post

I remember Farrell's.

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

I don't remember Gemco but I know my parents shopped there too. A while back ago I found some photos from like the 80's and they were in a picture packet from Gemco.

Zody's and Cornet - where I use to get my plastic model planes/cars/etc.

Farrell's - use to the ones in Cerritos Mall and Stonewood Shopping Center

Boy's Market

Ben Franklin's Crafts - There's still one in Oahu, but I'm not sure if it's the same one as in the mainland.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast