• Banned User

Cool Trip Report: San Francisco 3/26-3/29

http://www.dropshots.com/new.php?userid=268742
    Please take note, my camera's date was funky so alot of the pictures are under days they shouldn't be! Oops!

Way too many pictures to post all of them here so just go to the link and look around at the pictures, they may be in the wrong order somewhat but some of them are hilarious.

Monday
    Woke up extremely early to get to the airport, only to be delayed an hour due to SF weather. In fact, the flight before us had been cancelled!
    Finally got to SFO around 1:30 and to our hotel by 2. Supershuttle has amazing service btw, I definetely recommend them. We stayed at The Wharf Inn, it's not a well known hotel but it's right across the street from Pier 39 practically, you can see the water from your balcony. It's well priced and the rooms are great.
    We spent the day running around like mad. We went to Bubba Gump Shrimp Co and I had fish and chips for the first time (mmm!). Went to the Aquarium of the Bay which was alright but so much smaller than aquariums I've been to. Went to the Wax Museum as well. Took a cable car to Union Square and shopped at H&M. Then we went into the Westfield mall and had dinner before riding the cable car back to the hotel to get some much needed sleep!

Tuesday
    Woke up around 9am and enjoyed the breeze on our balcony during breakfast. We then went to catch one of the Blue and Gold Fleet Bay Cruises. It was a 45 minute tour of the bay which gave great views of the city, wrapped around Alcatraz, and went underneath the Golden Gate Bridge. Afterwards we caught lunch at Rainforest Cafe, this one was amazing! 3 floors and one was all underwater themed with coral and a water type ceiling. Afterwards we ran off to the Exploratorium and Palace of the Fine Arts by taking a bus. Great science museum with alot of unique exhibits, including one that tested your mind by having a drinking fountain on a toilet!
    We then headed back to Union Square since we hadn't fully shopped around it. We also went back to the mall to visit everything there. The Disney store was amazing! We also chanced upon some of the mailboxes decorated as R2D2.

Wednesday
    Woke up extra early to rush off to Alcatraz! I loved the whole experience, the free audio tour is really quite nice and everything is easily set up so you can tour without a guide. There was even an old inmate there who I got to meet because he'd written a book and was signing copies.
    Afterwards we met up with my friend's dad who was in the area to work at a convention. He had a rental car (we didn't!) so he offered to drive us around to places hard to reach by bus/cable car. He drove us to Lombard street which he ended up driving down, totally awesome. We also went driving on the Golden Gate Bridge and ended up driving up the Marin Headlands, totally picturesque and awesome. He also drove us around where the Giants play and showed us alot of the residential areas with the cool houses. We had dinner at Pier 39 and shopped around the wharf for tourist stuff.

Thursday
    Packed our things, checked out, and put our luggage in friend's dad's hotel room. Then we ran off to the California Academy of Sciences. Totally not worth all of the walking we did to get to it. It's in a temporary location so there was almost nothing there. No planetarium, no anthropologic stuff, hardly any aquarium.. we were upset we wasted time on that instead of going to Haight/Ashbury. Afterwards we went to the really cool cable car museum which I loved since I fell in love with the Powell-Mason car.
    Then we went to the Japanese part of SF complete with cherry blossoms and street signs in Japanese. There was also a mall with two stories of everything from Japan! I was in paradise.
    Thus ended our trip really. We took a bus back to Pier 39 and hung out there followed by a nap in dad's friend's hotel. Then we got picked up by Supershuttle and went through an hour of rush hour biting our nails hoping not to miss our plane. We got on the plane and I cried because I didn't wanna go home.

I LOVE SAN FRANCISCO!

Re: Trip Report: San Francisco 3/26-3/29

Sounds like you guys had a great time! I really enjoyed your pictures.

I was born and raised in San Francisco and now live about 20 min South. Too bad you didn't post that you were going (or maybe I missed it). I would have told you some great places to visit although you did very well hitting most of the hot spots yourself.

Yeah SFO has parallel runways and when the visibility is poor there are often delays but it has gotten better. The new Westfield Mall is really nice and has the best food court I have ever seen. It is in the old Emporium Building and Westfield kept that great glass ceiling.

Bay Cruise is fun, albeit cold and I love the Exploritorium. The Palace of Fine Arts was originally built for the Panama-Pacific International Exposition in 1915 (out of plaster). In Union Square you weren't far from Chinatown but I didn't see it in your pictures. Did you check it out? The R2D2 mailboxes are most likely due to LucasFilm moving to the Presidio from Marin in 2005.

The audio tour at Alcatraz is great and the views of the City from the Marin Headlands are some of the best! Did you see any foxes? There are a lot around there. You were close the the Marine Mammal Rescue Center located near the Marin Headlands. They rescue sick and injured seals, sea otters, dolphins and the like. Once they are nursed back to health they are released them back into the wild. http://www.tmmc.org/

Yeah the temporary location for the California Academy of Sciences is pretty boring although the major changes at their permanent location in Golden Gate Park will be amazing (and not far from Haight/Ashbury). Their current location is near the SFMOMA which has a great permanent collection as well as great exhibits. I love JapanTown and often stop there when in the City. Did you have a Sophie's Crepe? They are delicious!

Hopefully it won't be long before you return and when you do drop me a PM and I can offer some insight and suggestions as a local.

• Minion

glad you had a great time and loved the pics! Thanks!

Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    Tassie, I found a quote for ya !

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

Charles M. Schulz
    Originally Posted by MWalton
    Did the pages take that long to reach around to your part of the world?!?

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

What, no bike rides? I'm disappointed. Next time, okay? You won't regret it.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Trekkie Dad View Post
    What, no bike rides? I'm disappointed. Next time, okay? You won't regret it.
    Aww yeah no bike rides but we did see alot of people riding bikes. Next time we definetely will as we're used to the area now!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    Sounds like you guys had a great time! I really enjoyed your pictures.

I was born and raised in San Francisco and now live about 20 min South. Too bad you didn't post that you were going (or maybe I missed it). I would have told you some great places to visit although you did very well hitting most of the hot spots yourself.

Yeah SFO has parallel runways and when the visibility is poor there are often delays but it has gotten better. The new Westfield Mall is really nice and has the best food court I have ever seen. It is in the old Emporium Building and Westfield kept that great glass ceiling.

Bay Cruise is fun, albeit cold and I love the Exploritorium. The Palace of Fine Arts was originally built for the Panama-Pacific International Exposition in 1915 (out of plaster). In Union Square you weren't far from Chinatown but I didn't see it in your pictures. Did you check it out? The R2D2 mailboxes are most likely due to LucasFilm moving to the Presidio from Marin in 2005.

The audio tour at Alcatraz is great and the views of the City from the Marin Headlands are some of the best! Did you see any foxes? There are a lot around there. You were close the the Marine Mammal Rescue Center located near the Marin Headlands. They rescue sick and injured seals, sea otters, dolphins and the like. Once they are nursed back to health they are released them back into the wild. http://www.tmmc.org/

Yeah the temporary location for the California Academy of Sciences is pretty boring although the major changes at their permanent location in Golden Gate Park will be amazing (and not far from Haight/Ashbury). Their current location is near the SFMOMA which has a great permanent collection as well as great exhibits. I love JapanTown and often stop there when in the City. Did you have a Sophie's Crepe? They are delicious!

Hopefully it won't be long before you return and when you do drop me a PM and I can offer some insight and suggestions as a local.
    I should be returning Summer of 2008 so I'll definetely contact you then. I did do a whole thread asking where I should go and compiled quite a list from it. Next time I go I'll be so much more familiar with the area and able to do more than just the typical tourist things. I do think I saw quite alot though!

• Banned User

Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed reading.

• Banned User

Great report! Isn't San Francisco the BEST? I just love it and I am glad you had a nice time.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by I Heart Disneyland View Post
    Great report! Isn't San Francisco the BEST? I just love it and I am glad you had a nice time.
    SF is so great I'm currently looking for a room to stay in Summer 2008 so I can do some classes up there!

• A Pirate's life for me!

Great report!

Thanks for sharing.

Looks like you had a blast!

• Senior Minion

Great pics!!! Looks like you had a ton of fun!
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

Cool Re: Trip Report: San Francisco 3/26-3/29

Thank you for sharing your trip with us, Eli! So glad you had an awesome time. Great pcitures. I so much enjoyed reading your report!
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleWings View Post
    I should be returning Summer of 2008 so I'll definetely contact you then. I did do a whole thread asking where I should go and compiled quite a list from it. Next time I go I'll be so much more familiar with the area and able to do more than just the typical tourist things. I do think I saw quite alot though!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleWings View Post
    SF is so great I'm currently looking for a room to stay in Summer 2008 so I can do some classes up there!
    Looks like I missed your thread after all. I don't post too often as you can see by my meager post count.

You had a good list because you covered a lot great places around San Francisco. Yes, do drop me a PM when your planning your return and I'll let you know about other things to see and do in the Bay Area.

Where are you looking to take classes? What are your studying? If you are looking for a room, apartment, etc then Craig's List is a good place to look. It also gives you an idea about how much it will cost. There are lots of other cool things on Craig's List that will give you a feel about San Francisco.
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/