• Minion

Big Earthquake in the Solomon Islands

I am sitting here and have the weather channel thing on my desktop and saw it turn red (which means something serious) well, I clicked it and it had a Tsunami advisory for California all the way to Alaska. So, I looked up the earthquake, and it was a 7.6 in the Solomon Islands. I have a friend over there, so hoping they are all ok!

Re: Big Earthquake in the Solomon Islands

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy98 View Post
    I am sitting here and have the weather channel thing on my desktop and saw it turn red (which means something serious) well, I clicked it and it had a Tsunami advisory for California all the way to Alaska. So, I looked up the earthquake, and it was a 7.6 in the Solomon Islands. I have a friend over there, so hoping they are all ok!
    Yes. But that advisory reads there is no warning for the West Coast of North America (bolding theirs...not mine):

This Tsunami Advisory is for residents along the California, Oregon, Washington, British Columbia, and Alaska coast. NO tsunami watch or warning is in effect for these areas.

A Tsunami Advisory is issued by the WCATWC whenever the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in Ewa Beach, Hawaii has issued a warning for other regions in the Pacific Basin, and NO tsunami watch or warning is in effect for the states and provinces listed above. It is unlikely that these regions will upgraded to a tsunami warning or watch. Please refer to the PTWC message for further information about the warning.

Based on the earthquake location, magnitude and historic tsunami records, a damaging tsunami IS NOT expected along the California, Oregon, Washington, British Columbia, and Alaska coasts. Some of these areas may experience non-damaging sea level changes.

At 1:40 PM Pacific Daylight Time on April 1, an earthquake with preliminary magnitude 8.1 occurred near the Solomon Islands.

Pretty massive quake though. Hope your friends are okay.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    Yes. But that advisory reads there is no warning for the West Coast of North America (bolding theirs...not mine):

[/font]

Pretty massive quake though. Hope your friends are okay.
    The advisory was to expire around 3pm or there about... Ever since the big Tsunami, we get a warning even if it isn't near us.
    I hope they are ok too. I emailed, but it is the Solomon's and my friend is not in a tourist area.

• Minion

found this for you Tracy

Police and residents said a wave several meters high crashed ashore at Gizo, a regional center in the country's west just 40 kilometers from the temblor's epicenter, inundating buildings and causing widespread destruction

Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    Tassie, I found a quote for ya !

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

Charles M. Schulz
    Originally Posted by MWalton
    Did the pages take that long to reach around to your part of the world?!?