Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

AAAAAGGGGHHHH!!! we're all going to DIE!!!!

this was just on our news!! Thank God I live an hour inland!
    They say th have increased the warning to include the WHOLE east coast of Australia!!!
    Solomons hit by tsunami after powerful Pacific quake

April 2, 2007 - 9:58AM

A tsunami hit towns and villages in the Solomon Islands Monday following a powerful earthquake with unconfirmed reports up to nine people were missing, police said.
    The tsunami followed a powerful 8.0 magnitude earthquake in the western New Georgia Islands region, which prompted the Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre to issue a tsunami warning for countries in the region.
    A spokesman for the Solomon Islands Office of Emergency management said there were unconfirmed reports five people were missing after two villages were inundated by the tsunami in the far west of the archipelago.
    "We have unconfirmed reports of a tsunami washing parts of the most western end if the Solomons, where two villages ... near Bougainville are reported to be completely inundated," the spokesman told the Australian Broadcasting Commission.
    He said there were also unconfirmed reports four people were missing after a landslide in the wake of the quake.
    Solomons police spokesman Mick Spinks said there had been sketchy reports of tsunami damage in areas near the quake.
    "There have been no reports of casualties yet but you have to bear in mind the communications with many areas is poor," Spinks said.
    He said the town of Taro had been hit by a large wave and there were reports of buildings being damaged. The settlement of Lofung had also reported being hit by a large wave with residents evacuating to higher ground, Spinks said.
    In Gizo, a town just 45 kilometres (28 miles) from the quake epicentre, waves caused damage after sweeping beyond the high water mark, he said.
    The quake struck at 7:40 am local time (2040 GMT Sunday) and was centred about 350 kilometres (220 miles) west-northwest of the capital Honiara at a depth of 10 kilometres, the US Geological Survey and Hong Kong Observatory said.
    The USGS also recorded an aftershock measuring 6.7 about eight minutes after the initial shock.
    The Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre issued a tsunami warning after the quake.
    "An earthquake of this size has the potential to generate a destructive tsunami that can strike coastlines in the region near the epicentre within minutes to hours," the warning centre said.
    The warning covers the Solomons, Australia, Indonesia, Papua New Guinea, Vanuatu, Nauru, Chuuk, New Caledonia, Pohnpei, Kosrae, Tuvalu, Kiribati and the Marshall Islands, with countries as far away as Japan on alert.
    The centre warned "authorities should take appropriate action in response to this possibility" of a tsunami.
    Australia issued an alert for residents of its northeast coast and authorities in New Caledonia, some 1,000 kilometres south of the Solomons, evacuated people in threatened areas to higher ground.
    Geoscience Australia said the tsunami would be between 10 and 20 centimetres (four to eight inches) in its territory, posing little threat to residents of Queensland state.
    Bureau of Meteorology spokesman Rob Webb said that while the tsunami sounded small, it had so far only been measured in one place and still had the potential to cause damage in the Pacific.
    "It can act very differently in different locations," he said. "It's quite a dangerous situation that we are monitoring very closely -- 8.1 is enough to generate a tsunami across the Pacific."
    The Solomon Islands, 2,575 kilometres east of Australia, has fewer than 500,000 people living on dozens of islands

Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    Tassie, I found a quote for ya !

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

Charles M. Schulz
    Originally Posted by MWalton
    Did the pages take that long to reach around to your part of the world?!?

• Banned User

Re: AAAAAGGGGHHHH!!! we're all going to DIE!!!!

Yikes!

• Princess of my own world

How Scary!! I'll be praying for you guys, and every one over there. Take care!
    Visit my blog: Shutters & Scribbles

Check out my class's Donors Choose page:
    Wildcat Projects
    **Donors Choose is a place where teachers post projects for their classes and request materials and/or technology for that project. People then can make donations starting at just $1 to help fund that project. This is a great way to support teachers and their classes!**

• love my friends

that is so scarey

Friends for life

• Minion

I knew nothing about it until I went to take the kids to school, and the guy on the radio had someone phone in and ask about it, so he phoned the beurea of meteorology, who confirmed it and also told him of the upgrade

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

Charles M. Schulz

• love my friends

i had heard there was a earthquake there.. just wasnt sure where the tsunami warning was

Be safe my friend ok

Friends for life

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • has a brand new mindset

Tassie!

Glad to know you are more than OK - I'm so geographically unaware in terms of how close you guys are from where they keep talking about, so I was worried!!

I've been checking in on MC (oh, wait, TC) all day to see if you'd posted. Darn time difference!!
    I love my awesome crazy wonderful friends!!

"Do you remember in kindergarten, how you’d meet a kid,
    then 10 seconds later you’d be playing like you were best friends?"

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I hope you and your family isn't harmed Tassie!

• Still wants to be a cat!

Will be keeping my fingers crossed for you and yours....all the others down under!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Minion

well, nothing happened! LOL LOL They did close all the beaches from far north Queensland to Victoria ( so that's like from Canada to Mexico in distance) and they did evaquate soem places (like child care centres) but thankfully, it was for nothing. We have never had this happen before. The last big tsunami did affect Australia, but in a remote western area, so basicly, no-one knew.
    Thank God this didn't happen, because there are absolutely NO disaster plans, and no warning system.
    Thanks everyone for caring!!

Charles M. Schulz

• Ohhh baboo :(

10 miles from the DLR. AP Holder for 9 years.

So glad you're OK!!!! Keep safe!!

• is on the rocks

Quote Originally Posted by tassie View Post
    well, nothing happened! LOL LOL They did close all the beaches from far north Queensland to Victoria ( so that's like from Canada to Mexico in distance) and they did evaquate soem places (like child care centres) but thankfully, it was for nothing. We have never had this happen before. The last big tsunami did affect Australia, but in a remote western area, so basicly, no-one knew.
    Thank God this didn't happen, because there are absolutely NO disaster plans, and no warning system.
    Oh, I'm so glad to hear that!
    She did it!

• Comin' at ya!

wow
    "Pain is temporary, Film is Forever..."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyDude

• Banned User

glad your safe, and good thing natural disasters take April 1 off... usually.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by tassie View Post
    Of course I care. I heard about this on the news.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast