Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

• Banned User

What's the deal with "Childrens Menus"???

They always have crap food for kids:

Macaroni and Cheese
    Chicken Nuggets
    Peanut Butter and Jelly
    Hot Dogs
    Pizza
    French Fries
    Hamburger

Now, I enjoy a good burger, and fries, and I love *good* macaroni and cheese (as prepared in good restaurants), but in general, while the "adult" menu's get all the real great, authentic food (say at the restaurants in Epcot, for example), the kids are fed crap unless the parents feed them off of their own plates. Why must there be "kids" menu's with stuff like this? Why can't the kids just eat small "child size" portions of the stuff on the adult menus? I think kids are just conditioned to eat crap from an early age.

• white and nerdy

Re: What's the deal with "Childrens Menus"???

Well, in my experience, most kids are very picky eaters. They like their five kinds of food and that's what they want. Maybe every kid I've ever been around while they eat are all unique, but I know if a kid (say, under 10) could choose between a gumbo bowl or chicken strips, or between Blue Cheese Burgers and onion/chili/cheese fries and pizza... I think we know what they'll choose.

As far as kids being "conditioned" to eat "crap" ... well, yeah. Crap? maybe. but I'm noticing lots more fruit, milk, granola, and non "crap" stuff on kids menus.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

^^What he said. Also, most places give you a choice of sides and most of the time it includes veggies. I always tell my kids they have to have veggies when we go out.
    There are also some times when we go out and Id rather have whats on the kids menu than whats on the regular one.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• Banned User

Yeah but kids are not born wanting peanut butter and jelly sandwiches or pizza. I think it's what adults think kids want. And I think it's an American thing too. I mean, do you think restaurants overseas have "Childrens Menus" with crap food like that on them? I bet in France, for example, kids eat better food than American kids. Or in Italy. I think adults condition kids to be picky and only want pizza and chicken "nuggets".

• white and nerdy

Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post
    Yeah but kids are not born wanting peanut butter and jelly sandwiches or pizza. I think it's what adults think kids want. And I think it's an American thing too. I mean, do you think restaurants overseas have "Childrens Menus" with crap food like that on them? I bet in France, for example, kids eat better food than American kids. Or in Italy. I think adults condition kids to be picky and only want pizza and chicken "nuggets".
    I'd say more like... Asia. maybe.

I've been to France and Italy... They eat tons of fat, like out of the can. I kid. But the food isn't more healthy there. Blame it on the "americanization of the world" but they eat junk too.

In fact, I remember a "fried pizza" being quite popular in many places in Europe.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

•   
    • Senior Minion

Not only do kids eat crap food, but adults do as well. The way we eat here in the United States is slowly killing us in one way or another, and we are taking it overseas with these franchises like McDonald's, Burger King ...

(yeah ... I just finished reading "Fast Food Nation")

• I have returned !!

keep in mind.. good nutritional values should start at home and is not necessarily the problem of the restaurant. By the time a family is going to go out for a nice family dinner a dose of mac and cheese or nuggets should be like a "special" thing for a kid, an easily identifiable food that they wont complain all thru dinner about and wreck the point of going out and enjoying ones self, and they shouldn't have been eating it all week at home in the first place. It should be a treat to order something like that once and awhile.
    Higher end restaurants may be more accomodating and let you order a half serving of something or you can order off an adult menu and take the other half home for lunch the next day.
    Maybe suggesting to your frequented restaurant that offering at least one healthy entree' be offered up on the Kids Menu.

( BTW i have four kids 22 21 19 12 .. im not just throwing out advice)

Mickey's cool but Johnny Depp Rocks !

Got Tiger? I do !!

LAST DLR Trip ? POTC: AWE PREMIERE !! 5-17~5-24
    next trip?? Dec 2007

• Banned User

People are misconstruing my post as being about nutritiion.

My gripe is not about nutrition foremost.

It's really about why can't kids just have smaller portions of what is on the "adult" menus. Why can't kids eat a childs size bowl of Bisque de Homard, followed by the childs size portion of Salade de Chevre Chaud (Chefs de France - Epcot)? Or the childs size portion of Seafood Bastilla followed by the child size portion Roast Lamb Meshoui (Marrakesh restaurant at Epcot - it was looking at this restaurants childs menu that got me annoyed).

Instead the thinking is "You're a kid, you get Pizza! You get Chicken Nuggets! You get Fries and a Hot Dog!"

What Bull Crap.

I really think this is an adult issue and not a kids issue.

• white and nerdy

People are misconstruing my post as being about nutritiion.

My gripe is not about nutrition foremost.

It's really about why can't kids just have smaller portions of what is on the "adult" menus. Why can't kids eat a childs size bowl of Bisque de Homard, followed by the childs size portion of Salade de Chevre Chaud (Chefs de France - Epcot)? Or the childs size portion of seafood bastilla followed by the child size portion Roast Lamb Meshoui (Marrakesh restaurant at Epcot - it was looking at this restaurants childs menu that got me annoyed).

I really think this is an adult issue and not a kids issue.
    Ahhh...

Well... kids eat what's familiar to them (actually most people do, but as you get older you want to expand your mind) and most parents can't, or won't feed their kids Bisqe de Homard, Salede de Chevre Chaud, Seafood Bastilla (which I didn't like much), or Roast Lamb Meshoui. They eat foods that are simple to make and hopefully good for you... like mac and cheese or pb & j.

maybe your kids eat nice fancy food like that, but most don't.

I wish I could.

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Do you have kids?
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by thejoshualee View Post
    Ahhh...

Well... kids eat what's familiar to them (actually most people do, but as you get older you want to expand your mind) and most parents can't, or won't feed their kids Bisqe de Homard, Salede de Chevre Chaud, Seafood Bastilla (which I didn't like much), or Roast Lamb Meshoui. They eat foods that are simple to make and hopefully good for you... like mac and cheese or pb & j.

maybe your kids eat nice fancy food like that, but most don't.

I wish I could.
    I don't have kids. I just think kids shouldn't be, well, almost discriminated against like this. They get dumbed down menus. But I think still this is an American issue too. I bet in France (but I could be wrong), but I bet overseas in general, kids just eat what the adults eat in smaller portions. But in the United States, kids are treated differently.

When I was a kid, my mother did feed me for instance, shrimp curry at home and other foods, so maybe my experience growing up was different. Yes, I'm American born and raised and so are my parents.

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

I don't have kids. I just think kids shouldn't be, well, almost discriminated against like this. They get dumbed down menus. But I think still this is an American issue too. I bet in France (but I could be wrong), but I bet overseas in general, kids just eat what the adults eat in smaller portions. But in the United States, kids are treated differently.

When I was a kid, my mother did feed me for instance, shrimp curry at home and other foods, so maybe my experience growing up was different. Yes, I'm American born and raised and so are my parents.
    I always let my kids have some of my food and 95% of the time they say they dont like it.
    Also, we dont really go out to restaraunts that have the kind of food that you are mentioning. We go to family places where they have burgers and what not. Which is what I (as an adult) would rather eat anyway.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• I have returned !!

your key words there are your mother fed it to you...

See.. your good upbringing made you crave diversity in food choices. A picky 7 year old out to dinner with family can wreck your entire experience. Chicken Nuggets or a hot dog will at least cover that man hole of an awful experience for all involved.. or seated around.
    I say if you want a teenie portion of Batijaan Zalud or Bisqe de Homard just ask for it or get a doggy bag for a big portion.. I will let you borrow some kids if you want to test it out.
    Last edited by idzy; 04-03-2007 at 07:53 AM. Reason: i cant spell...

Mickey's cool but Johnny Depp Rocks !

Got Tiger? I do !!

LAST DLR Trip ? POTC: AWE PREMIERE !! 5-17~5-24
    next trip?? Dec 2007

• <3

Lost Bar - It's where we come together in true DMCA style.
    Blog Entries

I lived 9 years overseas as a kid and I don't remember ever being offered a smaller portion of the meal my parents were eating. If it was something we wanted, we got the adult portion. I know I normally ate chicken nuggets or the closest thing to them, even well into adulthood.

This is during 9 years - three years at a time, three different times - of living in Germany but frequently travelling to the surrounding European countries.

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth."
    Mark Twain

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by frecky View Post
    Also, we dont really go out to restaraunts that have the kind of food that you are mentioning. We go to family places where they have burgers and what not. Which is what I (as an adult) would rather eat anyway.
    That's why I say it's an adult/American conditioning thing.

Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast