Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

Question Blockbuster or Hollywood Video?

I'm looking to join either one for their movie pass programs. Basically they're the same, you pay a flat rate once a month and get to take a few movies out, return them, and immediately get more. (I'm not into the mailing thing, takes too long). I'm just trying to decide which one to go with. They're both close to my house. I just wanna rent some movies without paying like $4 per movie, I'm trying to avoid the movie theaters since they're so expensive now. Anyone have a preference?

• Senior Minion

Re: Blockbuster or Hollywood Video?

I don't use either. I go to my local library to get dvd's and I can request them and put myself in que for them via their website and can have up to 5 out per card.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Well I use Blockbuster, both the store and the internet. The mailing program is actually pretty quick IMO. I turned in two videos this weekend and already got two new ones to watch. Plus, you could always take them into your local Blockbuster and swap it for a new one if you don't want to wait for the mailman to bring a new video. I've never had membership with Hollywood Video but I've been quite happy with what I have.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I don't use either of them also. I only order PPV's or buy the DVD's. We stopped doing business with Blockbuster over a year ago because all of the DVD's we rented from them were banged up, scratched, dirty, etc....and these were new releases I'm talking about!...

• For You!

I have the blockbuster mail-in deal. We love it. We can exchange the mail-ins for in-store movies (free) and you also get 2 free in-store rentals a month which we use to rent video games!

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Hiding in the shadows

I don't do either, but my inlaws have the Blockbuster mail in program and love it especially because you can return them at the store and you dont have to wait.

I have been to both and it seems that Blockbuster has a better selection.

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Quote Originally Posted by BFJen View Post
    I have the blockbuster mail-in deal. We love it. We can exchange the mail-ins for in-store movies (free) and you also get 2 free in-store rentals a month which we use to rent video games!
    Me too! I've been getting my movies a day before they say they should be at my house.

• Circle of Ancients

We have been loyal Netfilx users since 2000. (yes they have been around that long).

We will use Blockbuster or Hollywood on occasion. I find that Hollywood Video typically has movies or games in that Blockbuster doesn't. And now with Blockbusters return policy (it's late, but not really late) most people have games or movies for 2 weeks and it's harder to find stuff.

I've been searching Blockbuster for 2 weeks looking for Tiger Woods Golf for the Wii.

• Directly directed

Hollywood for the sole reason that cases aren't funny feeling like Blockbusters are.

• That Guy

Neither.

Netflix is the way to go.

• white and nerdy

I hate wandering up and down the movie isles trying to find some obscure independent, foreign, or classic movie just to hear:
    -we don't have that.
    -It was rented out a year ago and not returned
    -We should have it, I don't know why I can't find it
    -Oh. We thought it was a horror movie!
    - I've never heard of it
    - you pervert!

My wif e and I tried to watch the 100 greatest movies of all time using our local Hollywood and found they had less than 30 of them.

Netflix. Find the movie you want easy.

Though when I move to a town that has blockbuster, I will probably switch to their program.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Man O Lantern

Quote Originally Posted by Joshrzmeup View Post
    I don't use either. I go to my local library to get dvd's and I can request them and put myself in que for them via their website and can have up to 5 out per card.
    That's what I do. But we don't have a limit as to how many we can check out. I haven't rented a movie in over three years now!

Quote Originally Posted by thejoshualee
    My wif e and I tried to watch the 100 greatest movies of all time using our local Hollywood and found they had less than 30 of them.
    My husband attempted that a few years ago, but we ended up getting all of them at the library.

• Senior Minion

Neither.

After a a problem with the local BB store with checking in the videos.( after we physically handed them to the clerk and still got charged a late fee.) We stopped going there.

We go to a local mom and pop Video store and it's $2.00 for New Releases.

Also we very happy Netflix customers. I love the DVD library that Netflix provides.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by thejoshualee View Post
    Though when I move to a town that has blockbuster, I will probably switch to their program.
    We did a trial of Blockbusters program, we still prefer Netflix. Yes in theory the turnaround should be less because you can get movies at the store. But ... in reality, the mail portion of the program takes longer than Netflix (for us) and they still don't have any movies in the store that we want to see.

• Banned User

My concern is how long it takes for Netflix to send things. How long does it take?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast