View Poll Results: Will you go in or stay out?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I will still go

50 71.43%
  • Nope, won't be crossing the line

20 28.57%
Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast

• Minion

Will you go to the grocery store if they strike?

At midnight, Albertson's here in So Cal (not sure where else is affected), will go on strike again if their needs aren't met. There is also threat that Von's and Ralph's will follow.
    I remember last time I frequently would cross the line (even while being yelled at). I will do the same this time if I have to, though Stater Brothers is my preffered store.
    I hope it doesn't happen, but we shall see!

• I'm with Mr. Big!

Re: Will you go to the grocery store if they strike?

I used to work for Albertsons and I am still in the union as an inactive member. So I can't cross the picket lines!
    "Can't sing but I've got soul." -U2

"I've got soul, but i'm not a soldier" -The Killers

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

I will still go - my need for groceries does not go on strike along with the employees.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Ok time for cocoa

Stater Bros is my prefered store also, but I would go to Ralph's just so I could cross the picket line.
    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    How is a state religion bad, but state medicine good?
    Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    Anyone who makes the decision to depend upon the government to take care of their basic needs has essentially doomed himself to a life of bitter disappointment.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by joannabanana View Post
    I used to work for Albertsons and I am still in the union as an inactive member. So I can't cross the picket lines!
    Wow, that's crazy! Does that mean anyone in that union can't cross the line (even if they work for a totally different company, but have the same union?) What happens if someone does cross from the union?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Rick View Post
    Stater Bros is my prefered store also, but I would go to Ralph's just so I could cross the picket line.
    Me too. I like to make them mad. They are some of the highest paid ppl out there! I don't really know why they won't sign the contract. Oh well! This time it may even hurt these stores worse than last time!

• Minion

Yeah, I need to eat.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

No... last time I only did a few times (to get a newspaper). otherwise I went to a further away, family owned store (Howe's).
    There ARE other grocery stores out there - there are other options.
    Now I'd have more of a choice, luckily.
    But if I agree w/what they're striking for (I did last time) I won't cross the line.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Main Gypsy

Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl View Post
    I will still go - my need for groceries does not go on strike along with the employees.

...just like my need for gas when the prices go up....

• Queen of Sarcasm

I worked in the grocery stores when the last strike happened. I was at Staters, we weren't affected by the strikes or lockouts but we were slammed with people the entire time the strike was happening.

Granted I don't work there anymore but if it goes down like it did last time the Union is going to get headstrong about it and tell everyone to vote against the contract. When this happens the workers are going to be out of a job and with the way the contract is after not being on payroll for three months you lose your benefits. Also along these lines since these people are not going to be working they are not going to have the money coming in for their families. The Union will fix it at the expense of the people at Staters by taking out a mandatory $100 every week from their paycheck for the strike relief fund. Well, to be fair the Union did have a vote on the $100 thing but they held the vote during the week in the middle of the day while all of us were working and allowed the employees of Ralphs, Alberstons and Vons to vote on it and of course they wanted it passed for their own benefit. That still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth three years later.

Once this goes on for five months they will be forced to go back to the table and reconcile their differences. If it ends the way it did last time the Union is going to swallow their pride and accept a contract that is worse than the one the companies offered in the first place.

My stance on the whole thing those is people have the right to choose where they shop. During this time the other stores are going to have killer deals but I don't know if I will want to go in there and shop with their things running out of code with no workers to stock. Even the last time this happened I thought it was stupid for the strikers to belittle people that chose to go in the store. Be mad that the Union and company put you in the situation you are in and not the innocent customers.

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Nope. My mom has been working at Vons since I was 2 so I'm sticking up for her and her co-workers but even she doesn't want this strike to happen at all, she's been contemplating on retiring if it does happen.

• Queen of Sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy98 View Post
    Wow, that's crazy! Does that mean anyone in that union can't cross the line (even if they work for a totally different company, but have the same union?) What happens if someone does cross from the union?
    They get their picture taken by angry picketers and have their picture posted on the internet on a "Scab Watch" website. If they find out who you are they will post your name and where you work also on there. I am not making it up, I saw the website myself last time but can't remember the exact address. Also if you are a grocery employee and choose to work for another store during the strike your name is in a list sent via Union newsletter and mailed at all people in the Union so they know who you are.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PirateChick View Post
    I worked in the grocery stores when the last strike happened. I was at Staters, we weren't affected by the strikes or lockouts but we were slammed with people the entire time the strike was happening.

Granted I don't work there anymore but if it goes down like it did last time the Union is going to get headstrong about it and tell everyone to vote against the contract. When this happens the workers are going to be out of a job and with the way the contract is after not being on payroll for three months you lose your benefits. Also along these lines since these people are not going to be working they are not going to have the money coming in for their families. The Union will fix it at the expense of the people at Staters by taking out a mandatory $100 every week from their paycheck for the strike relief fund. Well, to be fair the Union did have a vote on the $100 thing but they held the vote during the week in the middle of the day while all of us were working and allowed the employees of Ralphs, Alberstons and Vons to vote on it and of course they wanted it passed for their own benefit. That still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth three years later.

Once this goes on for five months they will be forced to go back to the table and reconcile their differences. If it ends the way it did last time the Union is going to swallow their pride and accept a contract that is worse than the one the companies offered in the first place.

My stance on the whole thing those is people have the right to choose where they shop. During this time the other stores are going to have killer deals but I don't know if I will want to go in there and shop with their things running out of code with no workers to stock. Even the last time this happened I thought it was stupid for the strikers to belittle people that chose to go in the store. Be mad that the Union and company put you in the situation you are in and not the innocent customers.
    This is one of the reasons why I support Stater Brothers. We have been shopping there since I was very little. The prices are also usually a lot better (except if one store has a good deal plus double coupons!)

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PirateChick View Post
    They get their picture taken by angry picketers and have their picture posted on the internet on a "Scab Watch" website. If they find out who you are they will post your name and where you work also on there. I am not making it up, I saw the website myself last time but can't remember the exact address. Also if you are a grocery employee and choose to work for another store during the strike your name is in a list sent via Union newsletter and mailed at all people in the Union so they know who you are.
    Oh, I believe you. That is sad, especially if one of the chains is the only store around!

• Do You Wanna Get Rocked?

Blog Entries

As alot of you know I do work for stater Brothers! We sighned our new contract a few months ago! We will welcome all other shoppers with welcome arms! I myself will not cross the line either!
    You can come see me in the bakery section in Laguna hills!

Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast