Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Which teacher(s) had the most positive impacts on your life?

I was thinking today about a man named Terry F. Itnyre, who for many years was the journalism adviser at Cypress College.

And about a high school drama teacher at Garden Grove High School named Romayne Davis.

She taught the drama classes in my junior and senior years, and spent untold hours, nights and weekends working with me on the roles that I played in school productions.

And at Cypress, as a four-semester reporter and eventual editor of the school newspaper, I spent again untold hours with the man we all called...TFI (his initials). Three hours per week lecture, and lab hours "TBA".

I don't know what it's like with the new technology of now, but back then in the 1970's we didn't even have our own typesetting machine (it came a year after I left). All of our copy was sent to the Orange City news, whose plant was I recall on Katella across from the old Stadium Drive-In theaters. Our best critic was a typesetter there named Leilani (whose red-pen comments between the lines of print could be quite cutting!)

Anyway, we spent a whole lot of "lab hours TBA" as a group, and the stories that man shared, and things he said had a life-long impact on me.

So, this thread....for you to reflect on teachers, or maybe administrators, counselors, etc....that had the most positive impact...on you!
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Directly directed

Re: Which teacher(s) had the most positive impacts on your life?

Mrs. Stender, she was my 2nd grade teacher and the reason I decided to become a teacher. She just made everything fun and exciting. It was also because of her that I really got into reading.

• Senior Minion

I had a gymnastics coach for 5 years who had an impact on me. She never wanted to hear me say "I can't", and was always encouraging, taking the time to help me, arrange private lessons to help me achieve this certain skill, full of laughter, treated everyone equal, and made learning alot of fun.

I also had a teacher a few years back my first year of college who I enjoyed having as a professor. He made learning alot of fun and made me enjoy history more than I had, which I think is why I became a history major. He knew I never talked in class, so on occasion, he would call on me for an opinion on a reading or something, just to give me a good participation grade on something so simple. He was always full of energy, too.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• is on the rocks

Several come to mind for me, but at the top of the list was my high school calculus teacher, Joel Castillo. The context - I was a junior in high school and failing miserably at calculus. I had given up and resigned myself to failing, or barely passing. Mr. Castillo, however, had other ideas. He believed I could do better and offered to tutor me. So every day after school, for at least an hour and sometimes longer, Mr. Castillo tried to pound calculus into my resisting brain.

Now, I wasn't a difficult student in that I had a bad attitude, or didn't want to be there, but good gravy I was having such a difficult time! Up until then, math came pretty easily to me, but this just had me stumped. I was very, very lucky because Mr. Castillo never gave up on me - he was soooo patient with me. Finally, it started sinking in. And you know what? I passed. With an A. Yes, an A. I was floored. I don't know who was prouder of that final grade - me, or Mr. Castillo.

He taught me that if I really, really wanted to, I could succeed if I persevered - even if I couldn't see how it would be possible.
    She did it!

My 4th grade teacher, Mrs. Nemeth -- I was a kid that used to throw away homework -- she was a great teacher and really nice, but scared the pants off me (she was rumored to be the really difficult teacher at the school) at first. My fear of her always had me doing my homework and there was just something great about her-- from her class on, I was a stellar student, graduated with Honors in both HS and College. I credit her with that -- she was in my head the entire way...

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I'd have to say my 8th Grade and high school, on and off between semesters, theology teacher. I went to Catholic schools for those years. He represents everything I think and education should be for students. He never had a problem with a person questioning him or the status quo, so long as it was done in a proper and thoughtful manner.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Belle626 View Post
    My 4th grade teacher, -- -- she was in my head the entire way...
    Uhhh, my 4th grade teacher, Miss Eileen Probst, THE most beautiful woman in the world, ever, period - Greenwood School in Montebello California, 1965.

Was she in my head? I couldn't wait for Christmas vacation to END that year.

Was she "in my head"? I had it, bad.

And yes, my wife understands...

There are all kinds of ways to influence young minds...
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Senior Minion

Rahim, one name plain and simple. He was my Calculus teacher in college. The strategy he used was to be a total ******* to have those that weren't serious drop the class, then he was the most supportive and encouraging teacher I have ever had ... I took all three of my Calculus classes with him.

• Grumpy old man

I've never had a single teacher make a huge life changing impact on my life, but I've had a few who were remarkable people and teachers and have made some small, but significant changes on my psyche.

First is Clark Millholland, he was my Psychology teacher in 11th grade and Government/Economics teacher in 12th. He was a great older gentleman, probably in his late 60s, early 70s, native Vallejoian through through, had been teaching at my high school for years. He was a great storyteller and teacher. He knew how explain some of the more difficult concepts in the subjects I mentioned with ease that only came with his experience. Because of his class I gained more of an interest in Psychology that actually almost made it my major. And his Government/Econ lectures really helped shaped my opinions on the world, even if he never shared his own.

Another was my Chemistry teacher in 12th grade, Walid Dagher. I don't know if it was because I was a senior in a class with most of my friends, or the fact that Dagher was a great guy, or maybe both. But he made the class enjoyable to come to. I hated Chemistry, still do, but he made it at least interesting and understandable. He wasn't an easy teacher, but rather a good teacher, something that was very rare at my high school (and probably most). He was an immigrant from Lebanon, and even after decades in the US he still had culture shock, and his upbringing also led to his teaching style being very different but very effective. He was a wonderful teach.

Another was my Intro to Sociology professor, Nili Kirchsner, who I had my first semester of college. She was wonderfully energetic, had a nice youthful outlook (probably because she is still a grad student at UC Berkeley), and knew what she was talking about. She made Sociology the most interestin subject to me and is the reason it's my soon-to-be major. Her friend, Jaycee Whitehead was also a professor of mine who helped solidify my interest in Sociology so I knew it wasn't a one time thing.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Thanks for the responses and keep em coming. I recall an episode of "The Wonder Years" (one of the best-done TV shows ever IMHO) where Kevin finally realized how much his math teacher really cared about him, and then he died before the school year ended.

That episode had me in tears.

--Barry

• is on the rocks

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    Uhhh, my 4th grade teacher, Miss Eileen Probst, THE most beautiful woman in the world, ever, period - Greenwood School in Montebello California, 1965.

Was she in my head? I couldn't wait for Christmas vacation to END that year.

Was she "in my head"? I had it, bad.

And yes, my wife understands...

There are all kinds of ways to influence young minds...
    Oooh, Barry - we have something in common! I grew up in Montebello (although I went to La Merced Elementary/Intermediate Schools.

Miss Probst sounds like quite a lady!
    She did it!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spidergrrrl View Post
    Oooh, Barry - we have something in common! I grew up in Montebello (although I went to La Merced Elementary/Intermediate Schools.

Miss Probst sounds like quite a lady!
    We had to move before the end of my 4th grade year, and I never got to say goodbye to her...

Undoubtedly accounting for some of my current therapy bills.

For Miss Probst, I was a straight A student, helped her before class, stayed after class...and yes, she was only the most beautiful and finest lady these eyes have ever seen (well, okay...til I met Kathleen...)

• Minion

Miss Broughton, my high school typing teacher. She was a stickler for accuracy. This was back in the day of duplicate and triplicate-carbon paper letters, memos, et cetera. I had her for a couple of semesters. She retired with our graduating class. I just spoke with her recently as she lives in town. We see each other now and then, and I always let her know how her "sticklerness" has helped me in my work.

"Posture, proper hand position, focus, and practice, practice, practice...."
    Boo!

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Mrs. Buchman my kindergarten teacher at Edison Elementary - Anaheim
    Miss Stonestreet - my 4th Grade teacher at Edison

Patricia DeLaHunt - my counselor at Sycamore Junior High - Anaheim

Suzie Sullivan - my PE teacher at Anaheim High School at on campus Youth Group Leader

Peggy Crawford - on campus Youth Group Leader @ Anaheim High.

Coach and now Pastor Roger Stalhut - on campus Youth Leader @ Anaheim High

Charles Sting
    Highline High School
    Burien, WA
    Freshman Year: Earth Science
    Junior Year: Chemistry

On the first day of class, he pointed to the board and said, "This is your assignment. You have no excuse for not knowing what the assignment is. If there are any changes, they will be right here." He scared the crap out of us freshmen and I loved it. He was a complete hard @$$ but if you came to class ready to learn, he gave you total respect. I specifically signed up for his chem class and wasn't disappointed. I learned so much from him, not just about science, but about work ethic and how to conduct yourself in a learning environment. He was an amazing teacher.

I have to add another person...

Jean Snyder
    Director/Owner Des Moines Child Care Center
    Des Moines, WA

I worked for Jean for 8 years. She taught me more about parenting than anyone I know. Her words still rattle around in my head to this day and I am thankful for the care and education she gave me.
    Last edited by Simply Mad; 04-11-2007 at 10:58 PM. Reason: adding more

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast