• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Chicago is "My Kind Of Town" for the USOC Olympic Nod

Good news for Barbarann and our other Chicago area friends:

WASHINGTON (AP) -Now Chicago takes on the rest of the world.
    The Windy City's bid to hold a Summer Games for the first time moved to the international stage Saturday when the U.S. Olympic Committee capped a yearlong search for an American candidate for 2016 by picking Chicago over two-time host Los Angeles.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?cnn=yes

While I would have loved to see the Olympics maybe back in LA, I think Chicago would be a good host town.

Since we just had the games in Atlanta in 1996, and they'll be in London in 2012, we'll see how that factors in the decision.

I say, good luck to the city with broad shoulders!

--Barry

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Re: Chicago is "My Kind Of Town" for the USOC Olympic Nod

Well to give you a Chicagoan's point of view. I think it is great. Remember folks, it's not a given. We have to compete now with other international cities. When I came home from visiting my mom today, I turned on WGN. Some listeners were not too thrilled with the idea.

There's a lot involved in getting a city ready. Chicago definitely needs help with the transportation aspect, that's for sure.

In 2016, I will be almost 70. WOW, now that's old.

I guess we will see what happens. Our mayor is a happy man. My husband will be retired by then, so at least he won't be coming home in the middle of it complaining about the traffic.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post

I guess we will see what happens. Our mayor is a happy man. My husband will be retired by then, so at least he won't be coming home in the middle of it complaining about the traffic.
    If they do it right, it can be handled.

In Atlanta, they had a mess as I recall and traffic gridlock all over town.

But ask any Southern Californian about the 1984 games...and there were tremendous traffic fears as you might imagine.

Businesses co-operated by either shutting down or altering shifts for the two weeks. Folks actually carpooled more and other measures were put in place...in point of fact, traffic in most areas was a breeze for those two weeks. Of course, the venues were spread out over a much wider area then they will be there, I assume. We had events from Ventura County to the Southern tip of Orange County.

Again good luck Chicago!

--Barry

• Circle of Ancients

Better Chicago than LA ... although the infrastructure changes that are sure to come from something like this would have been welcome.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

The biggest worry that you hear from most Chicagoans, of course, is how much is it going to cost the average taxpayer.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Better Chicago than LA ... although the infrastructure changes that are sure to come from something like this would have been welcome.
    I think you would have been in your early teens back in 84. But if you were living here, don't you remember how good things turned out to be? (I interviewed European heads of state, on the shores of little old Lake Casitas at the canoe/rowing competition!)

Anyway, were you out here then? The traffic? No problem. No problems at all that I could think of. Post 9/11 and whatever else might happen between now and then, God forbid, security will be a huge concern wherever the Games are held.

As for the cost...Peter Ueberroth showed the world how to do it! Don't back down to the IOC bureaucrats when it comes to using exisiting venues over having to always build new ones. The LA games turned a profit!

--Barry

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Well, of course being an Angeleno, I was biased and had hoped we'd get the nod. We have all but one venue built for chrissake.

BUT, it is nice that another city will get the opportunity to bid. Now I can officially put my backing towards the Windy City.

Good luck Chicago! And good luck USA!!